Options

Should I ?!

Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

So some days ago I picked myself up and wanted to get to study more and focus my attention towards server certificates.
I got the Server+ Study Guide by Troy McMillan and I have went through it all the way to Chapter 6. (Out of 12)

I realized this is more of a technician server certificate and I wanted to learn more about the Active Directory. My bad for not doing the proper research before starting to study, I know e_e.. But now that I gone through half the book I am wondering if I should go ahead and finish and earn the certificate then turn my attention towards the MCSA Server certs.

What would you suggest me to do ?

Also, I find the book sometimes rather confusing and not entirely complete so I wonder what other sources should I study from if I want to continue finishing this.

Thanks you

Comments

• Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes, CompTIA certs are vendor neutral so Server+ won't go into much of Microsoft OS, although it does go over installing and configuring basic features.

I probably wouldn't bother with the exam and go straight for MCSA, unless Server+ is in demand in your area. (I took my exam for a job requirement)
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikey88 wrote: »
    Yes, CompTIA certs are vendor neutral so Server+ won't go into much of Microsoft OS, although it does go over installing and configuring basic features.I probably wouldn't bother with the exam and go straight for MCSA, unless Server+ is in demand in your area. (I took my exam for a job requirement)
    I agree with what mikey88 says here. I got mine for a work requirement that never materialized, so there is that. If you don't have any experience with servers (the hardware, mainly), then it is good knowledge to have. Years ago Microsoft encouraged people to get the Server+ first, then the MCSA exams. That has changed, though I don't know why that is. For me, honestly, it was a lot like the A+ exams, though with a different focus. I took the exam when it was offered for $50 and online, so I jumped on it. You will have to do the research in your area to see if it is something that is in demand and then make a decision from there.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    K-9K-9 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I, too, took it when the online $50 exam was offered. Just for kicks, of course. At the time, I thought it would be a nice $50 lifetime cert. It hasn't been a game changer for me, but I do think it was worth the $50. I don't know of any other A+ style server cert out there. I wish more people knew about it.

If you have the time/money and have server hardware experience, it is an easy exam to pass. If it is going to be a chore to study for it, then just go for your MS cert. Cut your losses and spend your time on something you enjoy.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just because you are in 6 chapters doesn't mean its a waste and also doesnt mean you have to take the exam. Use this foundational knowledge as a spring board towards the MCSA. Skip the exam and keep the knowledge.

There's plenty of things thats I've studied for that I didn't certify in, the knowledge received was not a waste though.
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I too S+ long ago when it first came out. I believe I got credit for Novell CNE or MCNE certification if I had it, and was supporting Novell at the time. I would still have taken it, even if it weren't a pre-requisite as the foundation knowledge helped me as I transitioned from a desktop role and into a new analyst role.

So, in your shoes, being halfway through studying, I'd still consider pursuing it. With the other CompTIA exams you possess, you won't be spending as much study time. You don't have to worry about CEs on the S+ per my recollection, so once you have it you have S+ for life. There is an "All in One" Server+ book available, that seems to have a 4.5 star review, so I'd use that to supplement the first book.
  • Options
    Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the answers.

I decided to finish the book up. Honestly so far I feel like I know about 80% of the contents of the book from when I learnt for my other certs. Only strictly server stuff is new to me. Don't know yet if I will take or not the exam, will see how I feel later on. I don't see it requested much around where I live, most jobs focus on Active Directory requirements so MCSA it is. The only reason why I would take the exam is to add it to my resume and to renew the A+ and Net+ (Which are almost one year old still so no rush.)
  • Options
    jamshid666jamshid666 Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DoD loves CompTIA, so finishing off Server+ can help to give you an extra item on your resume if you want to pursue government employment.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security Estimated completion: May 2019
    Remaining courses: C846 (ITIL), C768 (OA), C850 (OA), C769 (Capstone)
    Active Certifications: A+, CCDA, CCNA-R&S, CCNA-Security, CIW-SDA, i-Net+, Network+, Project+, Security+, Server+, Splunk Certified User, VCP-DCV
    Expired Certifications: CCNP, LPIC-1, MCSE, RHCSE,
  • Options
    K-9K-9 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the answers.

I decided to finish the book up. Honestly so far I feel like I know about 80% of the contents of the book from when I learnt for my other certs. Only strictly server stuff is new to me. Don't know yet if I will take or not the exam, will see how I feel later on. I don't see it requested much around where I live, most jobs focus on Active Directory requirements so MCSA it is. The only reason why I would take the exam is to add it to my resume and to renew the A+ and Net+ (Which are almost one year old still so no rush.)

If you finished the book, then go for the cert! You'll never regret having a lifetime CompTIA cert. I went through a couple of cycles of getting certs, getting a new job, and letting certs expire over time (don't judge me unless you are over 40) before I realized the value of (1) keeping certs active and (2) lifetime/non-expiring certs.