CASP advice

asenjabasenjab Posts: 5Registered Members ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!
I would first like to thank the community here as I got so much info from you guys. and this is my first post here.
I am seeking an advice from you guys as I am a little bit lost in my IT journey and I would love an advice!!

In the second half of 2017, I got my A+ N+ and S+. I was studying so badly to get them. Many of my friends doubt that I can't get S+ because I don't have the 3 years experience, but gladly I did it! I am overall a fast learner.
I actually don't have hands-on security experience and dont work, instead I am getting my bachelors in cyber security.

Now, after doing a lot of research, I am thinking about taking the CASP exam. and I am giving it around 6-8 months (6-7 hours a day of studying) Do you think I will be able to achieve that? or thats just gonna happen in my dreams?

CSA+ is pretty new, thats why I was thinking about skipping it. Do you suggest other certs if not CASP?

Thank you indeed

Comments

  • mikey88mikey88 Senior Member USAPosts: 294Registered Members ■■■□□□□□□□
    asenjab wrote: »
    I actually don't have hands-on security experience and dont work, instead I am getting my bachelors in cyber security.

    Focus on finishing your bachelors and look into doing an internship or two in cyber security. That's a good way land a job after college. I don't think a high level cert will benefit you so much without experience.
    Certs: CySA+, Security+, Network+ | 2018 Goals: CISSP

  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Posts: 549Registered Members ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikey88 wrote: »
    Focus on finishing your bachelors and look into doing an internship or two in cyber security. That's a good way land a job after college. I don't think a high level cert will benefit you so much without experience.
    Seconded. It's also very possible that a high-level cert like CASP would hurt your chances of getting a job, as well. Anyone hiring for an entry-level position will assume you're going to leave as soon as you have experience to get a higher-level position, while all higher-level positions will see no experience to go along with your certs. The internship is the better way to go. If you want to work on certs in addition to the internship, Server+, Linux+, CCNA, or MCSA would be good choices. They'd expand your knowledge base without putting you into a corner, job-wise.
  • fitzlopezfitzlopez Posts: 68Registered Members ■■■□□□□□□□
    asenjab wrote: »
    Hello everyone!
    I would first like to thank the community here as I got so much info from you guys. and this is my first post here.
    I am seeking an advice from you guys as I am a little bit lost in my IT journey and I would love an advice!!

    In the second half of 2017, I got my A+ N+ and S+. I was studying so badly to get them. Many of my friends doubt that I can't get S+ because I don't have the 3 years experience, but gladly I did it! I am overall a fast learner.
    I actually don't have hands-on security experience and don't work, instead I am getting my bachelors in cyber security.

    Now, after doing a lot of research, I am thinking about taking the CASP exam. and I am giving it around 6-8 months (6-7 hours a day of studying) Do you think I will be able to achieve that? or that's just gonna happen in my dreams?

    CSA+ is pretty new, thats why I was thinking about skipping it. Do you suggest other certs if not CASP?

    Thank you indeed

    Look for Beta exams they are cheaper :D like the Pentest+ Beta (don't know if it's still open). Do you have any local user groups, in my city the only big one meeting is ISACA, but even if they're mostly auditors I've gotten some great tips. You should probably local at the your local job market to see what they are asking, if CASP isn't on the job posts then skip it for now. And get experience, if you can try to skip working in a call center, get something hands on even if it's the lowest level analyst of a SOC. A big plus is if your employer pays for training and certs.

    I'm pretty sure your local job posts look for CISSP, check the domains and again get the experience. Certs are good, experience is better, both give you a small edge.
  • asenjabasenjab Posts: 5Registered Members ■□□□□□□□□□
    ahhh I live in DC and top secret clearance is required everywhere...
  • asenjabasenjab Posts: 5Registered Members ■□□□□□□□□□
    but thank you so much guys for the info, I see how would getting CASP would actually hurt me instead of landing me a job.
    I will go into linux+ > RHCSA > then maybe RHCE.

    I really appreciate your advices!
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Eye of Barad-dûr Posts: 433Registered Members ■■■■□□□□□□
    Honestly IMO, RHCSA is even taking it to far this early in your at this point non-existent IT career, I would stop at Linux+ as you never know where you will end up and those Red Hat courses are not really recommended for someone who hasn't been working with the OS for quite some time. Just get the basics out of the way and then once you start working figure out where you want to go with your career and certs.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • asenjabasenjab Posts: 5Registered Members ■□□□□□□□□□
    McxRisley wrote: »
    Honestly IMO, RHCSA is even taking it to far this early in your at this point non-existent IT career, I would stop at Linux+ as you never know where you will end up and those Red Hat courses are not really recommended for someone who hasn't been working with the OS for quite some time. Just get the basics out of the way and then once you start working figure out where you want to go with your career and certs.

    I actually have a very good knowledge in kali linux and unix cmd.
    my main goal is to skip tier 1 and hopefully tier 2 IT jobs. I am getting my masters right after the uni just for this reason. I might even get an online Computer science bachelors along with my Cyber one just to skip a few steps out of the way. stupid and crazy.. I know lol
Sign In or Register to comment.