What would better serve me?

David333David333 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently have a stem degree not related to IT or computer science. What would better serve me another bachelors or certification? not really looking at a masters because it would take too long with all the prerequisites I would have to take

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    It all depends what you are interested in persueing..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bachelors in tech not as significant as relevant work experience. The first thing to do is select an area of technology that interests you and then carve out a certification path that could make you more marketable for an entry-level job where you can then augment your CV as needed till you reach an org level that you're comfortable with.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • David333David333 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Btw I would like to get into security one day
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Certs or a master's, but definitely not another bachelor's.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    Certs or a master's, but definitely not another bachelor's.

The thing about the masters is it would take a year just to get prereqs done and then another 3 years to get the masters as a part time student(if not longer). But i have seen a second bachelor's in IT at university of Massachusetts at Lowell. Its only 30 credits which could be done in 2 years. The masters just seems to distant at this point. You sure a second bachelors wont help?
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have a Bachelors of Science any any field, a Bachelors in IT isn't going to benefit you as much as certifications are, and they are a lot cheaper to obtain.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    If you have a Bachelors of Science any any field, a Bachelors in IT isn't going to benefit you as much as certifications are, and they are a lot cheaper to obtain.

Def agree with TechGromit, forget about the second Bachelors and go with the certifications. Once you're in a good spot career-wise, shift your priorities from certs to grad school.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    In the field of IT, I honestly don't think a second bachelor degree would help. For me personally, if I had two, I would leave one off and only put the one relevant to the job I am applying for on my CV. When I see someone with many degrees but little in commensurate experience and little or no certifications, it raises red flags for me. (the same when I come across a CV with 2 dozen or so certs but work experience disproportionate)

I would work on some certifications, in less time and cheaper cost, you can get a chain of certs consistent with the time frame. Start with low level certs like A+ and Security+, get some experience, maybe get a vendor cert, and when you get some IT security experience, you can go for one of the more advance security certs.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Certs for practical knowledge and technical related roles....masters in management or MBA for managerial roles
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□