Options

Conrad CISSP Study Guide vs. Chapple CISSP (ISC)2 Official Study guide?

cledford3cledford3 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
I own the Chapple CISSP (ISC)2 CISSP Official Study guide - but have found it a chore to plow through. I've been studying off/on again for 2+ years and am looking for the best resource to get me over the hump. I'd been planning on re-reading the Official Study guide (which is a little hard to get excited about), but have recently heard some good things about the Conrad book. I don't want to cut all of the way back to the 11th hour - so thoughts on my switching up and going Conrad Study Guide?

I've seen multiple threads here really singing the praises of the Chapple, but the reviews on the Amazon for the Conrad book are great. Of course I've seen some people claim the AIO 6th Ed was the best thing since sliced bread... Just looking for something review all the concepts without spinning my wheels on rereading material I've already read.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    determineddetermined Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    why not do both?
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It all depend on your existing knowledge. I would recommend a minimum of 2 books. I used 4, but I am an avid reader. I fully read the AIO and Eric Conrad Study guide. The AIO in my on-off study, then Conrad's for the last 3 month of study as my main book. All subject a bit unclear or less understood was read in the AIO too.

I used also the 11th hour in the last week before the exam. Finally I used the CBK only as a last resort, I mostly skimmed it in search of thing that I would not have seen elsewhere.

That's the advantage to have a Safaribookonline.com account. Sorry, I am a too happy customer ;)
  • Options
    CingularCingular Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would strongly recommend using both. That being said, I mainly used the Eric Conrad Study Guide (3rd Edition) as my primary study resource. The Sybex Official Study Guide was my secondary and I only read the chapter summary/exam objectives for each chapter.

If I could go back in time I probably would have used the Sybex Study Guide a lot more thoroughly as I felt the Conrad guide was a little too light on the in-depth concepts in some of the domains.
    cissp, pcnse, ccnp, ccnp security, nse4
    ---

"It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?" - Gaff 

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My main point against the AIO is that the domain are not covered by consecutive chapter. Sure there are a table stating which chapter cover each domain, but Conrad's is better as your main guide. Start in Conrad's book, then dive into other book as required to understand the subject.
  • Options
    CingularCingular Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I fully read the AIO

Nice work! I glanced over a few chapters in the AIO...Was an absolute wealth of knowledge. Covers absolutely everything...But like you did mention, not very well organised/structured to the domains.
    cissp, pcnse, ccnp, ccnp security, nse4
    ---

"It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?" - Gaff 

• Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm an avid reader as well. I read the Sybex book twice, Conrad's book twice, and I'm working on the ISC2 approved CISSP for Dummies guide. Next is to tackle practice exams....

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil