Options

Working full remote

NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
Can anyone share thoughts on working full remote long term (Home office)? Challenges, wins, etc. thanks.
When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    My husband has been working 'full remote' for close to 20 years. Sometimes, it is hard for him to 'turn off' work when he gets emails during off work hours. Sometimes, there are calls that extend past 5:00pm. The wins are (at least, for me..heh heh) is that he is there to greet people that need to work on our hot water heater etc and he continues to work while they are there. The bad part of working remote is that people tend to forget that you are 'there' and in most cases (not him, anymore because he is senior staff, but the worry is there) Remote people are the first to be laid off. Just my perspective...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To name a few necessities:
    -self-discipline
    -reliable backup scheme
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know several friends who work remote and even some family members.
    I've have never seen one of them go back to the office. My cousin took a 20 pay cut to get back to remote....

I've had days here and there but nothing scheduled except many moons ago while I was working the desk. I had Fridays remote and it was BEAUTIFUL.

At lunch mowing my yard and changing out the dishes..... Avoiding a 40 minute commute back home.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My wife is 100% remote and loves it. The team I lead is 75% full remote. I am remote maybe 15-20% of the time and appreciate the benefit, although do not see myself doing 100% remote. Part of this is me loving getting out of the house and going to the city. The other part is the culture of the company expecting leaders to have face time.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've thought about "living outta a van down by the river" on the road to nowhere, making a small living doing remote support. I'm sure it would get old, but I do have an old Class C RV and IMO it would be fun at least for a little while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mckg0

Cheers & Hi5!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did FT remote for about a year and couldn't do it. It depends on your situation. When your remote you are going to feel more disconnected from your other peers on your team and like others have said it can be hard to "turn off" work.

It was pretty challenging for me to stay at home all day, I would get cabin fever and working in your sweatpants every day got old for me. But that could be someone dream haha, turns out it wasn't mine. If you have the option I'd try working from home 1-2 days a week and see how you feel and gradually increase the days at home and see how you like it.

IMO working from home 1 - 2 days a week and the rest of the week in the office is the best combination of both worlds.

Hopefully this was helpful
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Fully remote now as a non-traveling GRC/Audit consultant for the past year or so. Also worked fully remote as an IAM analyst for 4 years with a national bank. I love working remote and don't think I'll ever go back to a fully office job. The most I'd do is 3 days in office. I'd rather do a traveling consultant position than commute daily into an office.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    FI'd rather do a traveling consultant position than commute daily into an office.

Ain't that the truth. Going into the office everyday is one step up from living under a bridge.....
  • Options
    unrealskillz06unrealskillz06 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im obviously doing something wrong. I cant even find the opportunity crash.gif
  • Options
    NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    I have worked 100% from home now for a couple years. The pros are none of the office BS. No commute, which is really buy more time for you. Reduced travel/work expenses.

Some of the cons are less over social time with workers. (Will come back to his in a second.) As stated above, could be abused easily since you work from home. Overall, that depends on the company culture.

My work has been going more, and more remote. When it was first announced that large portions of the staff would telework at least a few days a week, some people actually threatened to quit. (I was surprised to say the least.) I was reading a blog awhile later that said the number one fear that people have with tele-work is social death. Thus, the biggest reason that I see people hate telework is because of the lack of social interaction. Also, some managers hate it because they can't just yell for someone, or walk by an office. They have to call/IM/text, and that change of mode some people really hate, and ultimately fight it.

Thus with telework you save time, money, stay away from office politic BS. In addition, if you are an introvert, you get to interact with people even less, and save your energy.

If you are an extrovert who requires social interaction, or someone who hates any change to the method of their work, it's not for you.

HTH.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks everyone for the comments. Much appreciated.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.