Options

Using my new ACM subscription for Safari Books, thoughts on Pearson Video Series

SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
Found a nice video series by Pearson IT Certification, CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501) by Sari Greene in Safari Books. Videos seem well put together, anyone used this before? I'll also use printed materials, but thought this was a good place to start.
[2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
[2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”

Comments

• Options
    Anyone watched one of these Live lessons? 180 videos on Security+ 501 exam! So far it's awesome. I'm a huge visual learner so this is incredible for me.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+

• Options
    tallmaktallmak Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't watched one for the Security+ 501 exam but I did for the ITIL and I found it really good. I'm watching another one for my SSCP. Like you, I like to see and hear before I dig into the books.
  • Options
    tallmak wrote: »
    I haven't watched one for the Security+ 501 exam but I did for the ITIL and I found it really good. I'm watching another one for my SSCP. Like you, I like to see and hear before I dig into the books.

I'm just really thoroughly impressed. This video alone is worth my $75 membership to ACM. 180 videos, each averaging about 8-10 minutes. My plan is to watch it all the way through, watch it again and take notes, then hit the books to brush up on trouble areas and then go bang out the test. I shouldn't have too much trouble on the exam, but we'll see.

• Options
    tallmaktallmak Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Let us know how it goes! I unfortunately didn't wait for the sale on the ACM membership. I paid full price and then it went on sale the next day. lol. It's definitely worth it for the Safari membership. Good luck on the test.
  • Options
    Videos have been amazingly helpful. I scheduled the exam for April 12th, but may push it up. We'll see!

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Pearson Live Lessons are awesome. I'm 3 months/18 hours into their CySA+ series. What an amazing bargain it is. Their ebooks--meh . . .the formatting is a little weird, at least on a desktop/laptop web browser and sometimes they are the unfinished/raw/pre-release versions. I don't actually read books on Safari Books unless it's a desperate last resort and I can't get the book in any other format.

I've heard Android/iOS or whichever versions are a bit nicer, regarding the textbooks, but I've never tried.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    I cant wait to do more of the Pearson videos. Follows the certmaster training from comptia perfectly too. CySA is on my list. How are you finding it?

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Safari Books CySA+ is by Aamir Lakhani and Joe Muniz.
    What I like:
    Rather than hitting it from an academia approach (like Jason Dion on Udemy or Mike Chapple in the Sybex book) or a DoD approach (like Brent Chapman in the All-in-One & on Udemy), the Lakhani/Muniz videos have a very different feel and a more technically experienced approach.

What I don't like:
    I suspect they filmed the whole thing in a hotel conference room or something over a couple of days, as it feels unpolished and in need of maybe doing a second or third re-shoot to nail down just right, but perhaps that's no longer possible to do.

I don't know what was up with Muniz's microphone, but he often talks in a shouty voice for many video clips, you know like when you are wearing phone earbuds and aren't sure how loud or quiet you should speak, so you speak loudly just in case; Muniz lectures like this and it does become mildly irritating after awhile.

But hey, can't beat the price.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    yoba222 wrote: »
    The Safari Books CySA+ is by Aamir Lakhani and Joe Muniz.
    What I like:
    Rather than hitting it from an academia approach (like Jason Dion on Udemy or Mike Chapple in the Sybex book) or a DoD approach (like Brent Chapman in the All-in-One & on Udemy), the Lakhani/Muniz videos have a very different feel and a more technically experienced approach.

What I don't like:
    I suspect they filmed the whole thing in a hotel conference room or something over a couple of days, as it feels unpolished and in need of maybe doing a second or third re-shoot to nail down just right, but perhaps that's no longer possible to do.

I don't know what was up with Muniz's microphone, but he often talks in a shouty voice for many video clips, you know like when you are wearing phone earbuds and aren't sure how loud or quiet you should speak, so you speak loudly just in case; Muniz lectures like this and it does become mildly irritating after awhile.

But hey, can't beat the price.

If that's all the negative, I'll take it. Sari Greene does a great job with Sec+ 501. Puts everything into real situations so you can see how the technology would be applied. I worked DoD for a few years so it's all coming back to me now (good and bad, hah!).

• Options
    Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I couldn't imagine Sari Greene's video to not be detailed as I used her CISSP video to study and it was great. ( a couple of tech glitches..) However, back it up with another non-video source.
  • Options
    Tekn0logy wrote: »
    I couldn't imagine Sari Greene's video to not be detailed as I used her CISSP video to study and it was great. ( a couple of tech glitches..) However, back it up with another non-video source.

I almost think it's far too detailed for a 90 minute, 90 question exam. There are topics covered that would take far longer than a few minutes to actually answer some questions with, especially around the cryptography stuff.