Options

Is it possible to get an IT job with associate's degree in U.S.?

memocansmemocans Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I have 5+ years experience as Oracle/SQL Server DBA but I only have associate's degree in computer programming from a college in Turkey. I applied for more than 200 jobs but couldn't get any interviews. In the meantime, I applied for WGU Data Management/Data Analytics program and willing to complete it in 2 terms.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Yes, it has been so difficult for US business in some industries and geographical areas to find qualified IT people that they have lowered the required degree to an AA/AS rather than a BA/BS. The job postings will indicate what is the minimal degree that is required.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Assuming your resume/experience is legitimate; and assuming you don't require some type of sponsorship...

Try 'Americanizing' your name on your resume.

Drop the reference to your 'Turkish' degree.

Me thinks you will you suddenly start getting phone calls...
  • Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    An IT job in general? Yes, I got into Help Desk with an Associate's.

As for what you're trying to apply to, maybe listing the position you're applying for might help.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • Options
    memocansmemocans Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Yes, it has been so difficult for US business in some industries and geographical areas to find qualified IT people that they have lowered the required degree to an AA/AS rather than a BA/BS. The job postings will indicate what is the minimal degree that is required.

I saw AA/AS as minimum degree requirement in a lot of job postings but I couldn't be sure about it. Because in my country, recruiters directly mentioning the best university names in job postings. So, I am glad to hear that.
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Assuming your resume/experience is legitimate; and assuming you don't require some type of sponsorship...

Try 'Americanizing' your name on your resume.

Drop the reference to your 'Turkish' degree.

Me thinks you will you suddenly start getting phone calls...

My background, experience, resume, and references are real and I got my green card by dv lottery. This is the third advice about my name, I'm going to change it. But, is it a really good idea to remove the degree information? Because I don't have anything else :D
    N7Valiant wrote: »
    An IT job in general? Yes, I got into Help Desk with an Associate's.

As for what you're trying to apply to, maybe listing the position you're applying for might help.

Actually not in general. I'm interested in Oracle/SQL Server DBA job postings.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Of course it is WITH experience...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Experience helps, and it seems you have experience. In most of the companies I've where I've worked in IT the last 20+ years, the job postings would even say "Bachelor's required". I have a Bachelor's and a couple AAS degrees and certifications, so I'd apply. Once I got the job I'd find the half or the majority of co-workers on my teams had no degrees whatsoever, and often no certifications (I'll add many were still talented, experienced IT hands....many more were not.) So, the degree is not necessarily as key, even when the job ad states that such is "required".
  • Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You don't even need a degree not certifications to get into IT but it helps. I've meet some IT managers who had no degree not certs but just had experience. Most of them stayed at one company for 10+ years and just moved up so that is a downside of not having a degree/certs, where has someone with certs/degree could move up quicker in a company or jump ship to another company quicker, therefore moving up quicker and higher pay.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I get offers ALL the time with my AAS in CIS
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP