Job Search- At Wits End

Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've posted a few times before about this a year or so ago. I'm getting quite frustrated and demoralized at this point. I took this job because I didn't have any other offers after looking for a year and was working at Academy Sports and Outdoors part time.

Roughly a year ago I decided I did not want this job anymore. I had Security+, Network+, OSWP, and a bachelors of computer science. I was coming up on 4 years figured that was a good amount of experience. Also, I gained my CISSP in the past year thinking that would help. However, I've been looking for jobs not related to my current field which is the engineering side of IT. We do large capitol project IT drawings and specs for architects or other firms that don't have someone on staff. We also consult for WiFi, infrastructure, physical security, et. I've been looking for almost a year now with 0 success. I had 0 calls or emails in 2017. I've had 1 call, and 1 email saying possible interest in 2018. I've constantly been evolving my resume thinking that was the issue.

Should I be looking for an entry level job?

Even now I don't get paid that well roughly $44k, perks are phone stipend and IRA 3% match. For the most part I feel like a glorified drafter and I didn't take on college debt to draw pictures.

Added my resume.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Av8fKuoVX2LyhMIRBHNWbkwk7J88oQ
Title: Sr. Systems Designer
Degree: B.S. in Computing Science, emphasis Information Assurance
Certifications: CISSP, PSP, Network+, Security+, CySA+, OSWP

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    post your resume, there could be something on your resume that is holding you back.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1) Provide more details on your daily duties
    2) What kind of positions are you applying to? maybe post an example
    3) Upload your resume for review. Seems like an issue with that given your certs/experience.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am curious if you updated your resume after the feedback I gave you back in 2016.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just to make sure I understand correctly. You bounced from a job without having another lined up?
  • NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    2) Duties (what you really do, not job description) for each position
    3) Description of what you actually want to do
    4) Current resume

From there people can frame how to help you the best.
  • Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr- I changed my format to one that was recommended on here sometime last year. I will say one thing you pointed out before is what specific systems I work with and what problems it addressed. We are usually system/vendor agnostic, so I never have my hands on specific systems/vendors. I don't work hands on with anything.

Soccarplayer29-

1) Mainly creating and updating design drawings which include device locations, logic diagrams, elevations, schedules, and specifications. I also do construction administration, submittal review, performance testing verification, on-site surveys, and WiFi surveys. Then others much more sporadically like once a year or every other year I've done pentesting documentation review (like twice), policies review, disaster and risk mitigation review.

2) At this point anything I look at the experience and certs required and think I can reasonably do. Try for entry to junior level positions at this point. Lots of Security Analyst I, IT Desk Analyst, Security Engineer, Security Technician, Cybersecurity Analyst, Help Desk Analyst, etc.

3) Done

DatabaseHead- No, I have not left my job yet. Though I'm almost at the point I'd work at an Amazon warehouse or something at least I'd being getting a workout in. Mentally I'm not challenged at this job at all.

At this point anything I can get my hands on. I just know this high level design is not for me.

It's not horrible. I get to travel once a month or so, my bosses are nice guys. There is free time here and there. I just know I need to move on at this point as I'm not challenged and have no interested in 80% of what this job entails.
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Being Blunt: Seems like you're playing the victim card. Get some confidence in yourself. You've done the CISSP and OSWP so you know you have the skills. Get out there and find a position/company that you're excited about rather than being resigned to work at amazon warehouse just because you don't like your current job.

1) stop applying for crappy jobs that you're overqualified for (amazon warehouse, help desk, etc.)
    2) dream about your ideal situation and go find that. Attend networking events, go to recruiting/hiring events. Find out what's out there and where you can be happy, contribute, be challenged, and get paid well. Those are not mutually exclusive even though you might think otherwise.
    3) Update your resume. Don't include generic professional summary/objective about searching for an "IT position which I can contribute" type crap. Tailor your resumes when you submit them. This isn't a spray and pray entry-level job hunt. You have specific skills. Tell that story in your resume and go get em.

You're down and you need to get energized about potential opportunities. Get your butt in gear and run towards a better position.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Are you open to relocating and have you applied outside of Houston?
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Local networking is going to be one of the first things I recommend if you're trying to get in to a new position. If you're looking for security positions, go to meetups, look for groups, etc. to be a part of. You don't have to dedicate all of your time and energy, just go and meet some people at occasional meetings. The more you get involved with the local community, the more you'll learn, be recognized, and be able to show.
    I get a page can't be displayed when trying to view your resume....
  • johndoeejohndoee Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I get a page can't be displayed when trying to view your resume....

I was able to view it. I just tried. Your Dial-up might be having issues. Restart your computer and try again.
    ^ hahahahaha!!!! That comment brought me back to my desktop support days.
    HA Dial-up..ha..and I have AOL too. righhhtttt...
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    Blade3D wrote: »
    I've posted a few times before about this a year or so ago. I'm getting quite frustrated and demoralized at this point. I took this job because I didn't have any other offers after looking for a year and was working at Academy Sports and Outdoors part time.

Roughly a year ago I decided I did not want this job anymore. I had Security+, Network+, OSWP, and a bachelors of computer science. I was coming up on 4 years figured that was a good amount of experience. Also, I gained my CISSP in the past year thinking that would help. However, I've been looking for jobs not related to my current field which is the engineering side of IT. We do large capitol project IT drawings and specs for architects or other firms that don't have someone on staff. We also consult for WiFi, infrastructure, physical security, et. I've been looking for almost a year now with 0 success. I had 0 calls or emails in 2017. I've had 1 call, and 1 email saying possible interest in 2018. I've constantly been evolving my resume thinking that was the issue.

Should I be looking for an entry level job?

Even now I don't get paid that well roughly $44k, perks are phone stipend and IRA 3% match. For the most part I feel like a glorified drafter and I didn't take on college debt to draw pictures.

Added my resume.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Av8fKuoVX2LyhMIRBHNWbkwk7J88oQ

I was told by a recruiter not long ago, some very beneficial information that I'll pass on to you.

1. Cater your resume to the position.
    2. Cater your resume to the position.
    3. Use key words, found on the posted job.
    4. Cater your resume to the position.

I said that to say, the three jobs you have listed have the words design in them. You are a designer. Whatever that means I am not sure. But, you have to understand this. 1. I didn't read your resume word-for-word. But I skimmed through it.

If they aren't looking for someone with your qualifications you will never be selected. I don't care what job you are applying for. If it's not design related, like your resume is you'll never hear back..

2. People are under the assumption that certifications trump experience, as I think you are as well. You can have CISSP, that is fine. But, if someone is looking for a CISSP for a Firewall Admin and you don't have the experience you'll never hear back. Certifications only mean you passed a test and know something. The CISSP exam and syllabus is so broad that it's not the golden ticket to any IT related job in America. I think, that you need to gain experience. I think you are lacking in that aspect. A CISSP with no experience is just a CISSP...with no experience. When you get Admin rights into an organization nobody wants to spend half the day training you.

It's five things I would suggest.

1. Move to a IT based area. Where IT jobs are hot. I have been to Houston. I stayed in the city for a while. The highways are like a big maze. If you don't have a navigation you'll get lost. Every big oil and gas company in the world is there. Houston is known for Oil and Gas not hot IT jobs.
    2. Start from the bottom up position wise.
    3. Take CISSP off your resume. Not going to lie, CISSP and your resume had me re-read it over again. I lied. Re-glanced over it over again.
    4. I am not going to waste seconds of my life, but last time I checked OSWP wasn't blowing up the job boards. I like the course but it's not blowing up the job boards. If the job isn't asking for it take it off the resume. No recruiter that has a pulse is going to google what your certifications mean if nobody is asking for them.
    5. Put certifications on your resume that the job is asking for. The recruiters only look for letters. If the hiring manager says he needs Security+, they look for Security+ on your resume. They don't care what other certifications you have. The hiring manager says they want Security+.

Good Luck
    I still can't view the page..'page not found' I can't get the engines started captain!
    Off Topic:

I think Fraternities and Sororities and great on a resume if you know someone on the inside that was in one.

Unless you know the recruiter was in one icon_lol.gif, I don't see the point of having it on the resume. That is just me.
    Yes, send me another link..m icon_wink.gif
    Yes, send me another link..m icon_wink.gif

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AARzVm5MJOyfPKE&cid=F2625F15EA2A1FFF&id=F2625F15EA2A1FFF%2174001&parId=F2625F15EA2A1FFF%2172840&o=OneUp

I am using Opera. Not saying that has anything to do with it.

Google Chrome works as well. I have about 5 browsers on my computer. I am 2-0 with it working.
    I found out why, the website is blocked. I will view it when I get home.
    Dude, that link opens up perfectly fine. Are you clicking on it the right way? icon_smile.gif

To GirlyGirl's point, here's what the OP said back in 2016 regarding my recommendation of customizing the resume to the position:
    The last point, I don't really get when people say this "Always customize resume to the particular position you are applying". Every time I read a statement like that, I picture people just making up things on their resume.

Hopefully the mindset has shifted.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    ^ hahahahaha!!!! That comment brought me back to my desktop support days.

This is where scaredoftests needs to be right now icon_lol.gif
    More like 'Dudette' icon_wink.gif
    I had a bad day at work the day before I posted this, a little was frustration from that.

Soccarplayer29- I might be a bit. I know I have a tendency to hyper-focus on what I believe is causing me the greatest amount of unhappiness then I grow complacent in other aspects of my life. I've had problems with self-esteem, self-worth, undervalue my knowledge/skills, etc. However, that's for me and my therapist to talk about.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Dude, that link opens up perfectly fine. Are you clicking on it the right way? icon_smile.gif

To GirlyGirl's point, here's what the OP said back in 2016 regarding my recommendation of customizing the resume to the position:

Hopefully the mindset has shifted.

That wasn't me, it was user CE1028.
    GirlyGirl wrote: »
    Ok. I just wasted about 15 minutes of my life that I will never get back. Thanks for that. I am off to another post....

To Girlygirl's and other people's point. I get it, I've been asking if I should target jobs to get experience directly related to what I'd like to do. I'm not sure what Systems Designer is either I'm guessing a glorified drafter, my boss is a Senior Systems Engineer. I think it's more so they can charge $90+ hour to our clients. I never find this position existing anywhere else. As I'm not a PE, I'm not an engineer. So with that said, should I be targeting entry-level jobs? As I totally agree, I do not have much or any experience in what I'd like to do in any hands on IT role.

Here is a better description of what I do from my CISSP passing post:

"I've been a Systems Designer (though 80-90% of what I do is just drafting in AutoCAD) at a small engineering firm for 4 years which has involved network and wireless design/engineering, cyber security and physical security assessments, wireless and network troubleshooting. I've dealt with just about everything a little at a higher level. I'd say access control (non-physical), and auditing were my weakest points, and knowing NIST, ISO, etc which ones they were. I'd like to get into a more technical role with cyber/information security in an IT setting instead of engineering. Also, a lot of this I feel was covered in my CS degree which emphasized Information Assurance, I graduated in 2011 from a B&M college."

We mainly deal with physical security designs and consulting for airports and seaports, but it's all the infrastructure to support that since it's all going IP. Examples: servers, workstations, cabling, firewalls, NMS, wireless, physical access control, perimeter detection, radar, and some A/V IP devices. I've also done wireless surveying, and predictive wireless designs with Airmagnet. It's just most of this isn't dealing with particular systems, or programming/configuring those devices.

I took this job because I had been looking for over a year after graduating and figured some experience was better then none and I was working at Academy Sports & Outdoors. They have been paying for my certifications, and I've been gaining some knowledge. I figure the 4 year mark was a good time to move on especially if I passed the CISSP. I guess part of the problem is I jumped into a "quasi-consulting" job without ever having some hands-on technical time. I wouldn't mind getting back to this one day, but I really would like something more technical so I could move to a management position or my dream job would be self-employed consulting for network/information security.

As my job isn't directly related to the positions I'm interested in nor do I have much interactions with people in those positions I do not know where to start. I know I need to tweak my resume more towards these kinds of jobs. I'm not sure what jobs or positions I should be targeting based on my current experience and this being the only job I've held that's remotely applicable. I'm a quick learner and retain knowledge fairly well, I think if I can get my foot in the door somewhere I can succeed. It's probably going to take someone taking a chance on me. I've thought about attending InfoSec meetings and groups in my area as a way to start networking.

Example of my job: Currently working on a new airport that is being built. As part of the architectural package for construction, I'm part of the team identifying AP locations, drawings for AP mounting, and writing the specifications. We work with the owner(Airport IT group) to find out what their expectations are. I assist the engineer or he checks what I've done on my own. Once the documents are issued for construction an integrator installs those based on our drawings and specifications.

I will get out there and try to get in some organizations. I'd been feeling this might be a good idea as I don't know many people in IT, hadn't taken the steps so I will.

For at least the next year or so I can't move. However, I'd be willing to relocate to Austin, Dallas, or possibly Boulder, CO.

I guess now I get the feeling I've just been wasting my time here at my current job.

I do appreciate the comments, and constructive criticism.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A couple of points:

1. I'd avoid the word 'designer' and substitute 'architect', or maybe 'architect/designer.' Designer is often associated with graphic design, which is a low paying job for the most part.

2. If I were a hiring person quickly playing through your resume with my eyes like listening to a 15 second tune, I'd have to completely pause the music in a couple spots. One example is where it reads "(First job staff leaves and forms new company)." This to me is jarring and I have to stop and puzzle out what in the world that means. Maybe leave this as a talking point in an interview.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    cyberguypr- it's ok, I know there isn't to catch everything

yoba222- Ok thanks, I just didn't want to it to seem like I was bouncing around jobs. I've worked with the same 2 principals for almost the last 5 years of my professional career.
    My issue with the term 'architect' is that I would expect a more robust explanation of both duties and key accomplishments. Otherwise my BS meter goes through the roof. The way it reads now it's excessively vague, provides nothing tangible, and doesn't answer how you have provided value to you previous employers. Leaves me wondering what exactly you can bring to support my operations.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    Are you open to relocating and have you applied outside of Houston?

Like Austin or San Antonio? Lots of opportunities in both cities.
    Now you see the trouble I have. I know someone in a similar role title is Systems Consultant. Possibly that? My other boss/principal goes by Senior Systems Design Consultant as he is not an engineer as well.

I'd definitely be interested in relocating anywhere in Texas. But as I said I can't move outside the Houston area in at least the next year or so. I am bringing my fiancee here on a K1 Visa which hasn't gone through yet so don't want relocating to delay this process, and we are going to live with her family to help her transition as she studies for her pharmacist license. Maybe this is TMI but want yall to have the full picture.
    Now I can see the resume! Education and Certs; Move to the end of the resume. Get rid of fraternity. My pet peeve (and most HR personal), get rid of the bullets! Write a few paragraphs of what you did.