Options

What would you say my job title is?

bowmattybowmatty Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a new job as an IP Networking Engineer but cant find anything about this job title, what would you say my title would be? Telecommunication Engineer? VoIP engineer? Etc etc??

Job description is as followed-

To be a part of our successful company, you will pride yourself on being a customer service driven individual who is eager to constantly improve your knowledge and scope in the IP communications and security industry.
This is a key role in our company and allows for excellent career development.
You will be required to:

Administer and implement solutions, including IP voice, Security and Audio Visual solutions
Work within a team of technicians
Provide a high level of customer service
Be well organised and responsive to customers
Have experience in IP Networking and willing to expand your knowledge across the Samsung range of Products
Have experience in SIP trunking
Hold a current ACMA licence would be an advantage

Comments

• Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wouldn't it be easier to work a month or two, find out what you're actually doing, then ask again based on what you do?

I don't find that the job description is ever 100% accurate, plus they can expand your duties as you go. I'm 6 weeks into my job as a Help Desk Technician. My job description makes no mention of Active Directory or analyzing Sonicwall logs and firmly places my duties as Level 1/Tier 1 work orders, and yet I'm finding that I'm doing that more and more.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IMO this sounds like a network administrator job - to me an administrator is someone who handles the run and maintain day to day of a system, an actual engineer is someone who focuses more on taking high level designs from an architect and performing detailed and low level design engineering and implementations. And an architect would be someone who is a strategist and big picture designer. Personally I feel like these build on each other, first you need to be an admin, then engineer, then architect. Sadly not all companies feel that way and I've met many Engineers/Architects who don't truly know technology.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like you would be the IP Networking Engineer at that company... That would be your title.

Titles can mean completely different things at different places so wouldn't try to generalize titles and tie them to specific tasks if that is what you are trying to do.
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like you would be the IP Networking Engineer at that company... That would be your title.

Titles can mean completely different things at different places so wouldn't try to generalize titles and tie them to specific tasks if that is what you are trying to do.

This is a really good point, titles do mean different things to different companies, my descriptions in my experience fit the broader set of companies I have worked with.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    IMO this sounds like a network administrator job

Not to me, sounds more like your responsible for connecting network devices to the network and configuring them to get them to work. No where on the job description does it say your responsible to maintaining the network. This sounds more along the lines of a Phone tech.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.