Options

Failed 70-741 684 :(

Franccesco.M91Franccesco.M91 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_cry.gif took the 70-741 this past Saturday and scored 684. Ive heard that even if you get a 700 or higher if you dont get atleast 70% in each subject you can still fail is this true? I am taking the exam again tomorrow.

Comments

• Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im not sure if that's true but good luck, I've failed it twice last time I got 668 3 weeks ago. Im going to give myself a break and retry probably in May. Getting 70-742 done for now.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    ArkrainArkrain Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is not true, I pass exams with a score under 20% in some sections.
  • Options
    poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You do not need a 700 on each section. As long as the overall weighted score is 700 or above you will pass. This is even the case with the upgrade exams which used to require a 700 in each section to pass. They are now just like any other exam.

For example, my 70-743 exam I scored pretty low (500ish) in the 740 section and low in the 741 section (500ish) but I scored extremely high in the 742 section (900ish) and it averaged to just above a 700. Thus, I passed.

The one last thing I'd like to note is the sections are weighted. If you look at the exam page (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-70-740.aspx) each section is listed with a percentage. That percentage is actually more about the weight of that section than it is about the questions that may appear for that section on the exam.

In that case, if you have a question about High Availability, and it is the only question pertaining to that topic on the exam it could be worth 30-35% of your overall exam score. Now, Microsoft would make it so such a large percentage hinged on one question but I imagine you get my point. :) It's far more reasonable to get maybe one or two questions about another section, say Containers (5-10%). Overall, Microsoft tries to balance out the number of questions but they don't always get it perfect, especially on upgrade exams.

Good luck!
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Options
    Franccesco.M91Franccesco.M91 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I agree the 70-741 was heavily weighted with DNS and DHCP questions. I ended up passing with a 745 today!!!!icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!

What material did you use for studying?
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.