Options

CCNA CyberOps completed - Cohort 5!

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
Took SecOps today 210-255 and passed with 844, not the best score but it will do. Thus now I have concluded the scholarship course and have passed both exams for the CCNA Cyber Ops.

I started in December like most others. I completed Secfnd march 3rd on my second attempt. Took it easy on the first try and missed it with an 802, passed it March 3rd with 860.

Completed the Secops material on March 20, received my authorization for the voucher on March 22 and booked the exam for the 24th.

Secops felt completely different than Secfnd. More questions on various outputs than purely concept questions. Got a 844 on this one.

The study material i used were purely what Cisco offered in the course. When taking the exams it felt like I might have missed chapters or maybe it was my study methods and the time I spend on it.

Studied only during work for 30 minutes to 1 hour on and off when was not busy.

Over all this was a great experience, more companies should do these.

Comments

• Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow nice! Thanks for sharing your experience!
    Looking forward to SecOps soon! :D
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Thanks! I think Cisco did a good job with introducing this cert and it's a good foundation for anyone in IT not only Infosec.

Does anyone know how to get a print out or pdf of the certificate? The welcoming kit will take 8 weeks to arrive.
  • Options
    UsualSuspect7UsualSuspect7 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! What's next?
    CISSP, CCENT, CCNA R/S, CCNA Cyber OPs, Security+, CySA+, PenTest+, Network+, Microsoft AZ-900, InsightVM CA
  • Options
    Congrats! What's next?

Nothing on the cert side, will focus on myself, spend more time on the gym and spend time with my family. Then vacation in the summer and more time with family.
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Thanks! I think Cisco did a good job with introducing this cert and it's a good foundation for anyone in IT not only Infosec.

Does anyone know how to get a print out or pdf of the certificate? The welcoming kit will take 8 weeks to arrive.

you should be able to login to the Certification Tracking System and print it from there. Since you passed today, it won't be yet.

Their site is currently down anyway
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Force! I'm ready for cohort 6.
  • Options
    Blucodex wrote: »
    Congrats Force! I'm ready for cohort 6.

Nice! You should do fine. Just pay attention to the question being asked.

I logged in to the certification tracking system and updated my address info but where is the print out option? I dont see it. Also, i read that you have to pay to print the copy? is this true?
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Just passed SECFND last week and hoping to take the second exam Friday. Can you expand on how the second exam was different (without violating Cisco's rules)? Harder, easier?
  • Options
    rcsoar4fun wrote: »
    Congrats. Just passed SECFND last week and hoping to take the second exam Friday. Can you expand on how the second exam was different (without violating Cisco's rules)? Harder, easier?

Be more familiar with the tools in terms of how results are derived and pay attention to grammar. Sentences are structured in a way that it makes more than one answer to see correct. For me it felt that the topics I thought would not be in the exam actually were on the exam.
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats mate
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    I know you said that you only used the materials provided. But did you not feel it necessary to spin up any VMs to have a play? I ask because the PC I use at work for VMs doesn't seem to want to boot Kali. D'you think I should be alright without it?
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    I know you said that you only used the materials provided. But did you not feel it necessary to spin up any VMs to have a play? I ask because the PC I use at work for VMs doesn't seem to want to boot Kali. D'you think I should be alright without it?

The course has all the labs that you will need with all the tools configured and ready for you to run them, just launch their labs and each lab has like 4-5 VM's you can use anywhere, even at work. Theres like 25+ labs combined in the 2 courses, over 50 hours of labbing.
  • Options
    Okay, that's great. I saw that there were end of chapter labs, but wasn't sure they'd be in depth enough. Thanks mate
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    KyrakKyrak Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Up next: On Break, but then maybe CCNA DC, CCNP DC, CISM, AWS SysOps Administrator
  • Options
    adbruadbru Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Well done icon_smile.gif
    I was also in Cohort 5 and have now passed both exams.
    I know what you mean about the SecOps questions, couple of time I looked at the screen thinking 'What the...!'
    Some strange wording and as with SecFnd a couple of questions which I think they were trialing.

I am a tutor in college so am now doing the CyberOps instructor accreditation for NetAcad, the netacad material is very different to the scholarship stuff.
    After that thinking about recertifying my CCENT then either CEH or CCNA Security, think I need to throw some Python in there as well....

Anyone doing cohort 6 - do the labs to learn, not just to complete them for the voucher!
    I also used the Cisco press book.
  • Options
    victor.s.andreivictor.s.andrei Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I found SECOPS easier than SECFND. Way easier.
    Q4 '18 Certification Goals: Cisco ICND2; JNCIA-Junos; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE

2018-2020 Learning Goals: non-degree courses in math (Idaho, Illinois NetMath, VCU) and CS/EE (CU Boulder, CSU)
    in preparation for an application to MS Math + CS/EE dual-master's degree program at a US state school TBD by Q4'21

To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
    Give off light...or darkness, Padawan.
    Be a candle...or the night.
    (Yoda)
  • Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's hard to say how much the labs contribute to answering exam questions. With the exception of seeing how to use Wireshark, I'd honestly say not much. The labs, however, are wonderful for those new to these tools or attacks or infosec or SOC work in general.

In other words, I don't think you need to spin up any outside VMs on your own.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    peter17peter17 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would like to know if cyberops scholarship will grant me if I am a third party customer, partner, vendor, supplier, or service provider, currently doing business with Cisco?
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In the hands-on labs do you have to click submit to have these graded? I'm not seeing a way to get my labs graded after finishing them.

EDIT: NM, think I found my answer.

"How are labs graded? How can I see the completion status of my lab?

Cisco has two types of labs: Graded and Discovery. All of the labs in the Security certificate courses are Discovery labs. They are not graded and so there is no completion event. Discovery labs have some type of success criteria at the end, though—it’s usually something like “the packets will be allowed” or “the user will/will not be allowed to connect” or “the devices have EIGRP adjacency” or something similar. To see if you have completed a Discovery lab, you can evaluate your lab against that success criteria; otherwise, there’s no symbol of your lab being complete. This means that nothing will show under the Graded section of the Lab Listing in the Table of Contents, because there are no Graded labs."
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    No. I found many labs boring as hell, so just logged in and let the time counter run and never did anything other than making sure it didn't time out. They were still marked as complete.