Options

nagging 17yr old

mynameisboringmynameisboring Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
So which NOTEBOOK would you pick if price is not an issue for a girl going to university?

ThinkPad R Series R40 with
Intel Pentium M processor at 1.5GHz with 1MB L2 Cache
512MB DDR SDRAM
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
ThinkPad High Speed 60GB Hard Disk Drive
ThinkPad 24X/10X/24X/8X Max CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo IV Ultrabay 2000 Drive
Bluetooth PC Card II

OR

DELL INSPIRON 600m
Intel® Pentium® M Processors at 1.6GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
60GB Hard Disk Drive
CDRW + DVD Combo
Intergrated Intel® Pro Wireless 2100 (802.11b)

THIS GIRL IS DRIVING ME INSANE - WHY I HAVEN'T PUNCHED HER, I DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    with everything basically a wash, it boils down to the wireless connection. I still lean toward WiFi.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bluetooth/WiFi - just depends on what technology you want to use.
    Personally I would go with the Dell, but the best thing to do would be to check a few reviews.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Both seem fast enough, though the info I base my decision on when I'm going to buy a new notebook is the amount of Video RAM it has, and if it is 'shared' or not.
  • Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Yes, I would go with the Dell as well. They typically make better products and have great customer support. Also they have lots of annoying commercials so you never forget their phone number icon_wink.gif . I am kind of curious as to what will the person be using the computer for. It's hard to determine what computer you should get when you don't know what you're buying for.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    nethersdenizennethersdenizen Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, stay away from shared video memory because it slows down memory bandwidth on your system memory. If you need to run off a battery get the M cpu, if you plan to be plugged in a lot you can get a notebook with a desktop cpu and it's a lot cheaper. Personally I would get an older notebook to use in classes if you need it and then to use a desktop back at home or the dorm. Unless you plan to play games with the notebook any CPU of about 1ghz is more than fast enough for DVDs, Divx, and other MPEG video playbacks along with Office. Investments in new laptops is about the worse place for money. My first laptop was $5,000 dollars for a pentium 150 from about 1997 of course I got it used when it was a couple years old for a lot less. Right now I'musing a lpatop I found in the trash but only needed a new keyboard and CD drive replugged into the board. Read reviews and see what makes sence for you and a 17 year old kid doesn't need the latest and greatest that might get dropped or soda spilled on or even worse...stolen.

But if price is no object get one with the latest video and wireless can be added the the cardslot or usb, www.tomshardware.com has some reviews on the laptops with new video cards from Nvidia and ATI

Happy shopping
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    So which NOTEBOOK would you pick if price is not an issue for a girl going to university?

ummm.. lemme see, an A4 sized notebook will do. pinkish-red color preferably. ring-binder certainly. and...yes, shouldn't be more than 10 bucks icon_lol.gif:D
    THIS GIRL IS DRIVING ME INSANE - WHY I HAVEN'T PUNCHED HER, I DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!

icon_redface.gif don't know either, but hey.. 17 is a good age for university. and yes, she does deserve a very good laptop. If price isn't an issue, buy her a supercomputer. Have u seen the latest Toshiba Tecra? Mesmerizing!!!
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    mynameisboringmynameisboring Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the replies everyone,

Most answers here were exactly what I was suggesting, like going with Dell because of support and reputation, or even the IBM system because its so close when comparing performance.

But alas my friends, the poor girl still doesn't know what to pick icon_lol.gif She is still comparing things like keyboards and cases....and its been 1 week now! Maybe she just likes the attention icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    JugomugoJugomugo Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey... I hate to admit it, but if I had a choice of two nearly identical systems, I would have to go for whatever one looks/feels cooler. (not temperature)
  • Options
    LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    Why a notebook to begin with?? Basically impossible to upgrade and when its out of date (tomorrow or maybe early next week) it goes right in the trash or given to someone that doesn't really know anything about computers anyway??