Soon to be graduate advice needed

techN0techN0 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Guys and Girls
Graduating with bachelors' in Business Information systems this May. No IT experience,having tough time getting a job offer. Applied for over 25 companies and only 3 interviews icon_sad.gif. Read the forum and redid my resume but still having troubles. I will look into a IT staffing agency if I continue to have difficulties. Meanwhile Im learning JavaScript on the side.

Will be building a website for My uncles business, is this something I could put on my resume ?

Have been reading the forums and a lot of people started by getting the A+ cert, but since I will have the IT degree wouldnt this be counter productive? Is there a better cert I should go after instead. I know im all over the place but I will continue to improve my programming skills but I have the time to also study for a cert. Thanks for a tips

Comments

• IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Keep applying, polish your interview skills and some certs would help. And no having an IT degree does is not counter productive to having a cert. Get certs into whatever you trying to work with. Getting random certs without a path isn't logical. Unless you looking to get your foot in the door.
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    25 applications isn't a lot.

3 interviews from 25 applications when you're just starting out actually isn't bad. That's 12% conversion on applications. 15% is considered amazing in most jobs/fields.

I think I sent out close to 80 for my first real job, had 4 or 5 interviews, and only 2 offers. And I had some experience + decent certs at the time.

Just gotta keep truckin'!

Sounds like you may need to work on interview skills. Figure out whether you come off as meek/arrogant/standoffish, or conversely, your personality is fine, but you can't answer technical questions.

I wouldn't put a single website on your resume (unless it's extremely, extremely well done), but if you have some other stuff, you can assemble a portfolio and link that on your resume.
  • techN0techN0 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LeBroke wrote: »
    25 applications isn't a lot.

3 interviews from 25 applications when you're just starting out actually isn't bad. That's 12% conversion on applications. 15% is considered amazing in most jobs/fields.

I think I sent out close to 80 for my first real job, had 4 or 5 interviews, and only 2 offers. And I had some experience + decent certs at the time.

Just gotta keep truckin'!

Sounds like you may need to work on interview skills. Figure out whether you come off as meek/arrogant/standoffish, or conversely, your personality is fine, but you can't answer technical questions.

I wouldn't put a single website on your resume (unless it's extremely, extremely well done), but if you have some other stuff, you can assemble a portfolio and link that on your resume.
    wow icon_sad.gificon_silent.gif
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey man:

Was in your shoes not to long ago! ;) In all honesty, doing your A+ could serve useful but again it depends on which industry in IT interests you. Do you like business (Do PMP/Six Sigma/SAP certs if you like ERP systems) Do you like networking (Cisco,Juniper,Microsoft certs) Do you like Security(CompTIA could be useful here as the other security certifications are either expensive or you lack experience/previous knowledge to obtain them such as EC-Council, GIAC or Offensive Security) Do you know/like coding? (Learn Python, Java, .NET etc.) Since your degree is in IS, how much technical background do you have? You may want to start with your A+ go gain more technical knowledge. I minored in IS and it is mostly Accounting classes, Project management, ERP classes and basic word,excel usage classes (At least my minor had classes like that). PM me if you want more advice.
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As previously mentioned, certifications aid your chances of getting that coveted first job. At this stage of your career, you can have a look at different technical specializations and then narrow your focus so you can level up your experience. 25 job applications is not a lot, especially for starting out!!!!! Tailor each application to the employment notice and flood the earth with your resume.

And yes, website development is something you can list on your resume but be prepared to add URLs and explanations to what you built. Make sure its worthy of showcasing if you're applying for a design position

Good luck
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your first job in IT might be in a call center so be prepared for that, which isn't for everyone.
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    techN0 wrote: »
    wow icon_sad.gificon_silent.gif
    If you want to feel better, I haven't had to apply for a job in 2.5 years and need to beat away recruiters with a stick.

Last job search I just changed my LinkedIn profile to "yep I'm interested" and had 3 job offers a week later (even made a thread somewhere deciding between two of them).
  • techN0techN0 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys, I am currently applying for many positions. Didnt realize how difficult it would be to obtain that first IT job out of college. Counselors, professors etc kept telling us that companies will be throwing themselves at us, and that definitely is not the case. I know many more people in my major who still have not received a job offer and May is quickly approaching.

I will try to give a update in about months time, I am sure there are 100s of more people in a similar situation the key is to differentiate your self in the beginning.
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Career counselors, professors, etc live in a bubble and most are so out of touch with reality that it's funny.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You got 3 interviews so you're good enough to hire on paper. Either
    1: You're not good enough to hire in person (how you behaved and what you said).
    2: Someone else they interviewed was better on paper/in person and they chose that person.

Can't do much about #2.
    For #1, watch some Youtube job interview tips videos. Then record yourself answering a few common interview questions in a mock job interview. Play it back and you'll be surprised how easy it is to spot any speaking/behavior flaws. Correct and record again.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP