Options

Longest communte to work that you've had

spanningtreespanningtree Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
What is the longest communte to work your had to endure?

There is a job that I might get but it's an hour and 40 mins one way by public transport.

I'm used to an hour and a bit

Comments

• Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2 hours 15 but any job >1 hour I've generally quit after <6 months
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    So my commute to anywhere where the jobs are was typically 40 minutes simply due to traffic. If there was a wreck or if I leave and get caught in the 8am rush hour, it's 1 to 1 hour 15 minutes.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had a job that was about 45 minutes away but the office moved to about 90 minutes. They wanted me to stay so I got 2-3 days a week WFH. Even then, Friday rush hour traffic was 2+ hours, miserable.
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In saying that now I work in North Sydney and my commute is 3 minutes door to desk.
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1:15 in public transportation, 30-45 minutes driving.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Current job. 48 miles (about 1:10 drive if there are no hiccups) but I work from home now.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Current job, is about 35 minutes away, but if I leave after 7, it can take an hour. If I leave earlier, I can do 35 minutes. I had another job (same kind of distance, but traffic was worse, so that took about 1.5 hours). There, there was no flexibility on the hours. Now, it is pretty flexible and I can telework.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Previous job was 35-40 minutes and my current job is 1:20 driving + 10 walking. After 6 months I am WFH most of the week.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Currently I commute 55 miles one way and that works out to typically 90 minutes in the morning. The way I go home typically only takes about an hour and 20 minutes, maybe a bit less. I love what I do and have a work provided vehicle so that definitely makes it easier. Also I've been using Audible for the past 9 months or so and with my commute I'm typically going through 3 or four books a month.

I more than likely move a bit closer to work in probably a year or so.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2 hours using public transportation one way for >2 years. Was exhausting.

On the other hand, I've read a lot of books and listened to a ton of good podcasts while doing it.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Currently I commute 55 miles one way and that works out to typically 90 minutes in the morning. The way I go home typically only takes about an hour and 20 minutes, maybe a bit less. I love what I do and have a work provided vehicle so that definitely makes it easier. Also I've been using Audible for the past 9 months or so and with my commute I'm typically going through 3 or four books a month.

I more than likely move a bit closer to work in probably a year or so.

Off topic, but how do you find information retention when hearing spoken books like Audible? I've never tried it, but curious how effective it is for certs or learning new things.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My commute right now is 75 miles each way. It's mostly interstate so I can do it in 75 minutes most days. Fortunately I was able to telework 2 days a week after I was there a few months, and that's the only thing keeping my sanity. I couldn't do anymore.
  • Options
    epcgepcg Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Longest was 89 miles one way. Took me about 1 hour 45 minutes. Good thing was over half was interstate. Current job is 50 miles one way takes around an hour. I want to leave but the only jobs I get call backs on are 2 hour drives. But I really dont like where i work or whats going on.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Never more than one hour - one way
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1.5-2hrs one way depending on traffic.....but that was before kids and still in my early 20s. Now 40mins is about as far as I'll go.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    90 min each way by public transportation. I wish it was closer but sometimes you have to compromise for the sake of economic feasibility aka $mortgage$
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    jws86jws86 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Currently 1 hour and 10 minutes 1 way by car. Have just recently accepted a new offer though much closer to home and turns my commute one way in to about 12 minutes.
    Currently studying for CCNA R&S
  • Options
    technogoattechnogoat Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just did 1 hour and 40 mins

wasn't too horrible but unsure how long I would keep doing it

I could try it for a year and try to move a bit closer to shave off sometime

I can't believe some of you guys had to drive for 2 hours!

sometimes I'm so tired I just stare out the bus window when on my commute
  • Options
    OnitaOnita Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    45 minutes. Really hoping to cut that down. Used to work ~10 minutes away.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    60 minutes without traffic one way, typically the commute home ends up being 90 minutes, Did that for almost five years....made me depressed and I gained a lot of weight.

Current job 20 minutes with traffic, I go to the gym for an hour four days a week before work now. I come home my wife is getting ready for work, I get my son ready for school, I make breakfast and we sit down to eat, I wait with him for the school bus then head to work.

Ended up dropping 35 pounds in 6 months because I wasn't depressed anymore and that extra 60-90 minutes in the morning allows me to accomplish much more... I will never take a job with a long commute unless I am desperate for a job.
  • Options
    ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    I'm at about 2 hrs door to door right now, San Francisco to San Jose area. I don't recommend it. However, I take the train so some of that time is productive. I would never do this driving. It's only temporary but finding a place to live in the SF Bay Area is nearly impossible. I'm actually from SF but would prefer to live farther south because the city has become intolerable, but why we're up here is a longer story...
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    Once upon a time in my life, Audi 1.8T Quattro's engine seized on me on the freeway. It was out of warranty and the replacement would be around $6000 including the labor. I passed, and decided to take the public transportation to work. Normal commute with the car was about 45 mins. With the public transportation, it took 3 hours one-way. Two Buses and Two Trains. I did that for 9 months!! Spent 6 hours aday on commute.
    Forget about cooking. I didn't even have time to go to buy food to eat. Chinese take out close to work was my only choice for weekdays. You will never forget if you had to carry the Fried Rice on the 3 hours ride.
    God is good because I prayed every day, and it took a while but after 7 years I live 5 minutes away from work now and I have a car!!
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    jcp1856jcp1856 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had a 50mi commute each way to LA. I drove it for 2 months before I realized there was a train station close to my apartment. commute times were roughly 1hr 10min in the am and upwards of 2hr - 2hr 30min in the pm
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dontstop wrote: »
    In saying that now I work in North Sydney and my commute is 3 minutes door to desk.

8 here

It makes a HUGE difference.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Off topic, but how do you find information retention when hearing spoken books like Audible? I've never tried it, but curious how effective it is for certs or learning new things.

I actually found that I retain the information. Besides Ready Player One, I've listened to history and technology related books (not necessarily technical skills) and I've recalled most everything that I've heard.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Longest I've had was 2 hours one way, and at that time I was putting in work weeks 70+ hours on a religious basis so it felt even worse. Right now I'm around an hour drive one way which is about the maximum I would be willing to handle on a regular basis. Audio books are a great help to study while driving.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    20 minutes, and that was during night shift. Now it's around 15 with morning traffic (and I live downtown in one of the top 10 populated cities in the US). Commute has never been long, but it's never been a factor or make/break when it comes to a job.

Just finished a contract with a fellow who was driving about 4 hours round trip every day. Said he was spending about $1000/week in gas alone. That was over half of his salary.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    50 min-over 1 hr, depending how traffic was.
    Ended up moving closer (was in rentals anyways) after like 3 months
    meh
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My longest was 30 - 40 minutes, depending on traffic. Until that spring when they shut down the freeway that I used to get there, and then it turned into well over an hour. I got XM in the car that spring.