MCSA: Windows Server 2016 Passed!

PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Finished today with the 70-742. Interestingly, I had the toughest exam with the 70-740, which was weird. The 741 and 742 felt a bit easier overall. My only weak area this time was certificate services, mainly because we don't use them too much in our business (we purchase external certificates mainly).

So glad the MCSA is done. Time now to take a break from Microsoft and work towards my Information Privacy and Protection certifications. :)
Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert

Comments

• malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! What resources did you use for 742? I've gone through CBT Nuggets and ITPro TV. I have the exam Ref but I feel alot is missing from it like with the previous exam certs.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • someperson49someperson49 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations.

How long has it taken you to get MCSE:Mobility and this MCSA 2016?
  • backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, you are cruising along! Congrats, that has to feel good to take a break.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! What resources did you use for 742? I've gone through CBT Nuggets and ITPro TV. I have the exam Ref but I feel alot is missing from it like with the previous exam certs.

I actually changed my tactics on this one. I used the Microsoft Virtual Academy and the Exam Ref book only. That was it. My method is three stages: 1. Read through the book, highlighting parts I feel are important. 2. Watch the videos I find (MVA in this case). 3. Cross-reference the videos into the book by adding my own notes to what is in the book itself. Use this as the final revision and learn from there.

Of course, this includes my own previous experience as a SysAdmin/Consultant. :)
    How long has it taken you to get MCSE:Mobility and this MCSA 2016?

I actually have done it all in the time I've been in my new job, so about 10 months now, but that also includes every certification I have except for the Windows 7 one. :)
    Wow, you are cruising along! Congrats, that has to feel good to take a break.

It does! I've done Microsoft all my life, so the change is going to be a culture shock for me. :) My company have offered me a Data Protection Officer role with the new GDPR law coming into effect soon, so this is my main focus now. :)
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
    Phalanx wrote: »
    I actually changed my tactics on this one. I used the Microsoft Virtual Academy and the Exam Ref book only. That was it. My method is three stages: 1. Read through the book, highlighting parts I feel are important. 2. Watch the videos I find (MVA in this case). 3. Cross-reference the videos into the book by adding my own notes to what is in the book itself. Use this as the final revision and learn from there.

Of course, this includes my own previous experience as a SysAdmin/Consultant. :)

Thanks, for the tip. I need to change my studying habits after failing 70-741 twice, now going through 70-742 I will go back to 70-741 later on. Just returned from a break in Spain, I feel relaxed and switched on to hit the books again.

I want to get my MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure by October this year so I can move to better job roles outside the UK. Shame I dont get to experience Server stuff in my current job role but I'm paying for all of this to expanded my skill set my current job doesn't offer me. :)
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• metaloadermetaloader Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Phalanx wrote: »
    Finished today with the 70-742. Interestingly, I had the toughest exam with the 70-740, which was weird. The 741 and 742 felt a bit easier overall. My only weak area this time was certificate services, mainly because we don't use them too much in our business (we purchase external certificates mainly).

So glad the MCSA is done. Time now to take a break from Microsoft and work towards my Information Privacy and Protection certifications. :)

Congratz!! I hope I'll pass the 70-742 failed twice now, only this one left for MCSA.
  • jpanda206jpanda206 Member Posts: 23 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Awesome man, ill be taking the 70-742 in a few weeks!
  • GoldenroseGoldenrose Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I recommend going for the Secure exam 70-743, there has been lots of changes in this area and many new valuable features. It worth the try!
  • cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • jpanda206jpanda206 Member Posts: 23 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just failed the 70-742 with a 665...i got 70-80 percent on all the subjects except ADFS. Got 40 percent there. Sitting again for the exam in 10 days with a little more focus on ADFS. Wish me luck!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! Best of luck on your next exams

I am almost to my MCSE - 2 exams away... :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • gemamgemam Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do YOU use **** to practice the exam ?
  • gemamgemam Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i am asking for the latsest **** please ?
  • onlycoderedonlycodered Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to bump such an old thread. I noticed you had also obtained the MCSE: Mobility. I just passed the MCSA: Windows 10 and I'm trying to decide between pursuing the MCSA: Server 2016 and MCSE: Mobility certs. Obviously the MCSE would be less exams but from what I understand it's quite a bit more intense. Any suggestions on what I should go for next? I work at an MSP and I'm constantly working in Windows Server so I'm no stranger to it.
    Sorry to bump such an old thread. I noticed you had also obtained the MCSE: Mobility. I just passed the MCSA: Windows 10 and I'm trying to decide between pursuing the MCSA: Server 2016 and MCSE: Mobility certs. Obviously the MCSE would be less exams but from what I understand it's quite a bit more intense. Any suggestions on what I should go for next? I work at an MSP and I'm constantly working in Windows Server so I'm no stranger to it.

If you just want an MCSE then go for Mobility as its one more exam. But Server 2016 would be better for you.

I was in the same position as you, I got my MCSA Windows 10 then started again with MCSA Server 2016 because what put me off from doing MCSE: Mobility it was old and had very little material to work with.
    Certifications:

• YvanTheComputerGuyYvanTheComputerGuy Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If i may ask, are all 3 exams just questions? like, are there moments in the questions where you actually had to do configurations? or were they more in a question fashion? example. how would you go about configuring a two way trust. or what is the correct steps for a DSC push/pull server? or do you also have to actually perform the configuration?
    If i may ask, are all 3 exams just questions? like, are there moments in the questions where you actually had to do configurations? or were they more in a question fashion? example. how would you go about configuring a two way trust. or what is the correct steps for a DSC push/pull server? or do you also have to actually perform the configuration?

Its multiple choice and few drag and drop questions
    Certifications: