Options

Secur

SecfutSecfut Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would like to get into security but have a question. I have a computer science degree but haven't taken any security coursework, will that hold me back? I heard some employers check transcripts and so would they question why I want to get into security? I probably need some more experience before getting into security but I am worried employers might disqualify me because I haven't taken any security courses.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Are you new to the job market? Checking transcripts it’s certainly not the norm. Maybe in .gov but not private sector.
  • Options
    SecfutSecfut Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Are you new to the job market? Checking transcripts it’s certainly not the norm. Maybe in .gov but not private sector.

I am 2 years into my career, currently a sysadmin. I'm not sure if they would still check my transcripts but I have never worked in security. In any case, would a hiring manager be concerned about this or would they be fine with it as long as I get some certs in security?
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Most employers who care about degrees will be looking for technical degrees, so not having coursework shouldn't be a problem. Get your Security+, SSCP, or GSEC to start and you should be a viable candidate for junior security roles.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me