Options

Please help! 15 min Phone screening scheduled for tomorrow!

PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all I have applied for a Network Engineer Postition and a person from HR has reached out and said they: "[FONT=&quot] I am reaching out to you to set up a phone interview, which is the next step in our hiring process. It will be about 15 minutes long so that I can learn more about you, your experience and interest in the position. " Any tips on how I should prepare and what questions I may expect? I know some details are missing but any help is appreciated![/FONT]
Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Research the company, first and foremost. Have a solid, elevator pitch (30 seconds) on what interests you about the job (such as your interest in helping them fill a need).
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just be yourself, talk about previous experiences with network equipment (installations, configurations, down equipment & how you pulled through it), any soft skills you have, mention any other types of equipment/software that you are familiar with...towards the end, ask them some questions...what's the typical day you would experience, what perks/pay is this job providing, why did the last engineer leave?, how is the company culture, do they pay for overtime or give PTO if working overtime, continuing education reimbursement...good luck! They are just trying to weed out some of the applicants that applied for the position, so if you know or have experience in this field, you should get through it ok for the onsite interview.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Relax! Have a list of questions prepared as well.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hey all I have applied for a Network Engineer Postition and a person from HR has reached out and said they: "[FONT="] I am reaching out to you to set up a phone interview, which is the next step in our hiring process. It will be about 15 minutes long so that I can learn more about you, your experience and interest in the position. " Any tips on how I should prepare and what questions I may expect? I know some details are missing but any help is appreciated![/FONT]

I'm late to this thread, but it should help in the future for preparing for the interview.

http://mikenation.net/files/Preparing_for_the_Job_Interview.pdf
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can go wrong with being 100% honest. Be yourself and don't be afraid of your personality showing. Ask a few questions of your own.
  • Options
    PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. As I had kind of expected the job title and responsibilities did not align... they have A sever as in 1 server so I think I'll keep looking. Good news though while I was on this screening call a recruiter from another company called me about a job I am more comfortable with. The back story is that my family is relocating so I am trying to find something to get my feet on the ground. I already like the job market in the new location better than my current location.
    Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that the job was not what you expected but there is an upside to the phone interview. The more your interview, the more comfortable you feel and the more you can develop your "pick me" pitch.

Better luck on the next one!