Options

eLearnSecurity PTPv5 Webinar (May 22nd)

averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner

Comments

• Options
    ArridTatooineArridTatooine Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Signed up this morning, it's exciting !! I hope they will include IOT devices hacking module(s), and maybe add some python ?
  • Options
    Naruto985Naruto985 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh no ;) I just registered for elite Pentester bundle and now I see PTP v5 😂😂😂
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Very cool! I hope the updates for current PTPv4 course members stays the same price. I am currently in the middle of the eCPPT test right now, and I am still interested in upgrading to v5 lol icon_lol.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I purchased and started PTPv4 a little over a month ago, but decided to give ISACA certs precedence. Jumping back into it shortly and an update comes along. If it's a material update, I'll probably upgrade.
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Naruto985 wrote: »
    Oh no ;) I just registered for elite Pentester bundle and now I see PTP v5 

The good news is, they typically do free upgrades if you recently purchased the previous version. I purchased PTPv3 and a week later they announced v4. They upgraded mine for free at the time, so I suspect they will yours as well.
  • Options
    FullofBitFullofBit Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know how much they charge for an upgrade if you haven't bought the course recently?
  • Options
    @mooseboost, will there be a significant change in syllabus when you got ugraded from PTP v3 to V4? Should I start my studies for v4 or wait for v5?
    I have WAPT and RHCSA will start on weekend. Should I complet WAPT and RHCSA and wait for PTP V5? Hope you can give some light on this :)
    Thanks again
  • Options
    ottucsakottucsak Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really hope that they will create a proper lab with challenges for System Security as the current one is a joke.
  • Options
    ottucsak wrote: »
    I really hope that they will create a proper lab with challenges for System Security as the current one is a joke.

What would be a proper lab that you can recommend for further study? Also do you have experience with your recommended lab?
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • Options
    I'm currently doing Vivek's buffer overflow training on a WinXP machine. The explanations are better, more in-depth and there is more hand-holding involved. Unfortunately the System Security lab on PTPv4 is just an XP machine with a few tools and a vulnerable (and expired) 32bit FTP installed, without any guides or instructions. Most folks recommend https://exploit-exercises.com, especially Prot0staR.By the way if you install Windows XP to train your buffer overflow skills, make sure that you turn off memory protections.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @mooseboost, will there be a significant change in syllabus when you got ugraded from PTP v3 to V4? Should I start my studies for v4 or wait for v5?....

I actually emailed Armando because I am mid-way through the PTPv4 to get his thoughts. It looks like they will be doing a significant overhaul of the course. He advised me to wait until the new course is released - so that is probably what I will recommend to you as well.

@ottucsak - The FTPs buffer overflow is walked through in the System Security section by a video.
  • Options
    Unfortunately the System Security lab on PTPv4 is just an XP machine with a few tools and a vulnerable (and expired) 32bit FTP installed, without any guides or instructions.

I understand, but this was not my experience. There is plenty of guiding and instructing.

Have you looked at the ARES course? Advanced Reverse Engineering of Software.
    https://www.elearnsecurity.com/course/advanced_reverse_engineering_of_software/

It makes sense to only provide the introduction of exploit development in PTP if you offer a more advanced course. At the end, one should learn from multiple resources.
  • Options
    To each his own. I found it really disappointing compared to the other labs in the same course. For example most labs have an in-depth over 20 page lab guides. System Security? Only four pages, with no goals or scenarios.
  • Options
    To each his own. I found it really disappointing compared to the other labs in the same course. For example most labs have an in-depth over 20 page lab guides. System Security? Only four pages, with no goals or scenarios.

True, other vendors or online articles could explain things differently that could be more in depth. However it would be a disservice to techexams community to allow you to state the System Security section is 4 pages with no goals, examples, or scenarios. If you dislike the product then you dislike it, but 4 pages with no goals and scenarios? With all respect lets agree to disagree here.

Architecture Fundamentals = 109 pages
    Assembler Debugger tools = 72 pages
    Buffer Overflows = 199 pages
    Shellcoding = 145 pages
    Cryptography and Password Cracking = 178 pages
    Malware = 145 pages
  • Options
    If you look back at my posts, you can see that I was talking about only the lab and I had no criticism against the other study materials.
  • Options
    @Mooseboost thanks. I will wait and see till May 22 for new version. Mean while I have started RHCsA as I am bit weak in Linux. Here they are taking class and it's bit cheap for RHCsA :)
    Will try to complete RHCsA exam before May 22. I am pretty excited about PTP and WAPT. :)

Regards
  • Options
    Should I complet WAPT and RHCSA and wait for PTP V5? Hope you can give some light on this :)
    Thanks again

You can wait in regards to studying the material, but I would take advantage of the early bird purchase as you will probably get it for much cheaper.
  • Options
    @chrisone I took the elite Pentester bundle :) on the last day of the offer. [PTP and WAPT]. Just hoping they would upgrade my version to new one. Every dollar cost me a lot 😭😭😭
  • Options
    @chrisone I took the elite Pentester bundle :) on the last day of the offer. [PTP and WAPT]. Just hoping they would upgrade my version to new one. Every dollar cost me a lot 

You should email them or ask them during the ptpv5 presentation.
  • Options
    @chrisone I will definitely ask for upgradation :). Could you share your eCPPT experience and how you went about it? Thanks :)
  • Options
    uh right now I am on my last hours before I run out of time.

It has been tough, I definitely will have to do a retake again, I did not come close to passing. Id say I am like 60% of completing the exam objectives. It was tough, the last time I took it was in 2013, so a lot has changed and even though this is my second attempt, it feels like my first attempt lol

I feel confident I will get past the objectives on my second try as I will get to start where I left off (which I feel is 60%) and I will have another 7 days to work on it. I spent two and a half days on the buffer overflow part, still no success there crash.gif It seems most people have problems with the buffer overflow section. I wish I didn't have to immediately retake the test again as I would have like to spend a few weeks on topics I fee I may be struggling with. It would have been cool for the retake to be allowed to be taken within a month or lose it. But the way it is, you have to do the retake right after you get your results back from the instructor.

oh well, I feel positive in knowing I learned a lot more and progressed a lot further then my first take back in 2013. Hopefully the retake I pass.
  • Options
    new2Secnew2Sec Member Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The course upgrade from 3 to 4 was good. But I don't think moving to 5 will be worth it.

Here are my reasons:
    1) chances they not change the exam format (they didn't from 3 to 4)
    2) if you already have v3 or v4, save your money and go for ptx or go somewhere else, vhl, oscp etc
    3) ptx gives powershell skills at an advanced level
    4) the 2 recent courses came out not fully developed (waiting 6 months for the exam)
    5) starting to feel like exam mill
    6) i'll save my money and go for quality over quantity

May be they surprise
  • Options
    gbutlergbutler Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Only difference i feel between V4 and V5 would be (as i have gone through their trailer, on which they have mentioned)

- Linux Based exploits
    - Powershell

PTPv4 is in progress for me :)
    Achieved : GCIH, CEH
    Certification Goals :  ECCPT, OSCP, CISSP, CCNA CyberOps, CCIE, WIFU

• Options
    I logged into my elearnsecurity member area, and I was able to obtain the price for PTPv5.
  • Options
  • Options
    Did I hear that correctly?
    Get up to date skills like Powershell.....

Then later: If you want Powershell, you must purchase the elite edition.

what a joke.
  • Options
    Also I just checked and the upgrade is $520 for people with PTPv4. Too rich for my blood.
  • Options
    Yea, I'd rather spend $30 and buy The Hacker Playbook 3: Practical Guide To Penetration Testing. LOL
    And they didn't bother sending me the current student discount code.
  • Options
    I just signed up for Full with (free) Elite upgrade, since I have passed eJPT 2 days ago. However, it seems that for current members you get -40% OFF not -30%.
    Grand total : 779.40 USD
  • Options
    WTF, you purchased it 2 days ago and they won't give you a free upgrade? Thats major BS!!!