Options

eLearnSecurity PTPv5 Webinar (May 22nd)

Comments

• Options
    ArridTatooineArridTatooine Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No I did not purchase PTP 2 days ago, I passed the exam eJPT 2 days ago. I was planning to wait for PTPv5 in order to buy it.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    However, I do agree with you guys that 520$ to upgrade from PTPv4 to PTPv5 is expensive. Kinda a let down from the company.
  • Options
    new2Secnew2Sec Member Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ottucsak, How did you get $520?
  • Options
    Ah.. you recently purchased it and they are charging $520.. What a rip-off. HUGE let down. Looks like their business model is still money over reputation...
  • Options
    KhohezionKhohezion Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just received the email being a current ptp student. Its a nice discount... I'm wondering if I should drop the 500 to get it though. The course itself seems alot more comprehensive.

Coming from someone whose current job does not deal with anything security wise I think I am going to bite and buy the upgrade and maybe do the unlimited lab hours too.

But that person above me who bought the course 2 days ago, see if you can get the other discount they gave a pretty massive one to me.

EDIT:
    I just read his reply that he passed EJPT 2 days ago.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    ottucsak wrote: »
    Also I just checked and the upgrade is $520 for people with PTPv4. Too rich for my blood.

Seriously? WTF. The most upgrades usually were was like $250-300. I just combed through both v4 and v5 PDF Syllabus' and other than Powershell and Linux, they only added a couple of things here and there. Sorry but $520 is no where even close to worth it. I'll stick with v4 and check out PentesterAcademy and Packtpub.com to add PS and Linux sec skills for 1/10th the cost.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    I don't think 719 (full)/779 (elite) is that big of a discount, especially for the change from v4 to v5. Plus, you MUST get the elite (more expensive version) if you want powershell. They suggest cutting edge technology, but only if you pay them more.

What they should do is offer a Bigger discount to the people with eccpt v1...
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Seriously? WTF. The most upgrades usually were was like $250-300. I just combed through both v4 and v5 PDF Syllabus' and other than Powershell and Linux, they only added a couple of things here and there. Sorry but $520 is no where even close to worth it. I'll stick with v4 and check out PentesterAcademy and Packtpub.com to add PS and Linux sec skills for 1/10th the cost.

Even though I am a huge fan of eLS, I have to agree with this. The upgrade is just not worth it for the content difference.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think the member discount is only for current PTP course holders, but I could be wrong. $520 for the upgrade is not easy for many. The course does have good content that is for sure.

It did not sit well with me, the idea of ruby/metasploit and powershell modules not included in the barebones or full edition. It never seems like a good idea to me when companies withhold content unless you pay the premium price.

eLearnSecurity are good guys, character assassination shouldn't be the idea here when we don't agree with "minor" business changes. But then again SANS 6,000 price hikes weren't received all that well either (no need for a quality comparison argument here, just stating the overall trend of price hikes). It could be the nature of the industry, we just have to accept that.

To those who continue with v5, have fun, enjoy, and good luck!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    AD12345AD12345 Member Posts: 16 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I purchased this course 2 months ago and they want another $500? F that, greedy bastards. I am sure they are gonna pull the same crap with the WAPT cert sometime this year. Sorry, but these guys are a bad joke, shoulda just signed up with OffSec, they don't pull this type of used car salesman stuff...
  • Options
    gbutlergbutler Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wish they could have provided more discount for existing PTP students. Earlier upgrades for example PTP4 upgrade was like 200-300$.
    Current discount is 520$ as i am existing PTPv4 student, they could have given more discount. I am interested to go for upgrade but price is major blockage for me.
    Guys what are your thoughts regarding new syllabus and labs, is it good to go?
    Achieved : GCIH, CEH
    Certification Goals :  ECCPT, OSCP, CISSP, CCNA CyberOps, CCIE, WIFU

• Options
    ottucsakottucsak Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To be honest, I really like the new materials and I'm interested in the new exam, but I just feel that the upgrade is not worth it.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    gbutler, in looking at the syllabus' side by side, its not even remotely worth it. The sections on Linux and Powershell themselves aren't super deep compared to other resources honestly. You'd be better off getting a subscription to Pentesteracademy at $39/month and doing their PS and Linux stuff, or just go to PacktPub and grab some eBooks. It's not like they revamped the rest of the materials. I did a line item comparison and there is a handful of things they added elsewhere. NOT worth $500+. The other kick in the nads is that you have to do Elite upgrade to get PS stuff too. I'm a huge fan of eLS' material and method, but they've become too money hungry. If I had to guess they aren't making huge inroads to expanding their customer base so they have to keep raising prices (and thus reducing value) to keep going. Just my opinion on it. I was prepared to pull the trigger at $300. I won't be upgrading.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    AD12345 wrote: »
    I purchased this course 2 months ago and they want another $500? F that, greedy bastards. I am sure they are gonna pull the same crap with the WAPT cert sometime this year. Sorry, but these guys are a bad joke, shoulda just signed up with OffSec, they don't pull this type of used car salesman stuff...

Every company, including Offsec, charges an upgrade fee to get the new material. They also raise the price with each release. PWB with 60 days of lab access was $600. The upgrade to PWK was $350, materials only, not lab time. Think about how long it has been since they had a major upgrade in the course material. The only reason people are complaining about eLS is because they upgrade more frequently?
  • Options
    cicumagcicumag Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For what it's worth, i purchased v4 at the end of April and i was offered a free upgrade. A coworker purchased his in march and he is saying $520 for his. If i had to guess it's anyone who purchased within the last 30 days are getting free upgrades, after that you have to purchase it.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was planning on buying it after I passed the CCIE so the new version and associated discount works well for me. I just wish the discount was 50% like it was with the PTX launch.
  • Options
    Skyyyyy2001Skyyyyy2001 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In the email, it has the option for Option to add unlimited lab-hours but I can't locate it when I tried to check-out. any idea?
  • Options
    rdrunnerrdrunner Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where you go to choose the course version you want:

Add Unlimited Lab Time for PTPv5 Labs
    + $299
    + $299
    + $299

Enrollment Fee in US$ (fees guaranteed until 31/05/201icon_cool.gif

• Options
    Buying the unlimited lab time is not worth it, unless you plan to share it with friends. I completed almost all the labs and still have 100 hours.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I purchased PTP V4 when it was released for 719.40 $ and upgraded today for 519.60 $

So the total for me is 1,218.90 + more than 2 years lost in starting and restarting the course, hopefully I will finish it this year.

As a comparison, PTP V4 has 36 modules + 22 Labs, PTP V5 has 43 modules and 27 labs.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I won the Elite version of this during the webcast. I'm a week or so away from finishing the PTS and the eJPT cert. Wow. If I could do a backflip, I would. :)

I had this one as a goal for 2019, but I've moved it up a bit now. Definitely an opportunity I'm not going to waste. I'm taking it like the PTS course - slow enough to learn and make sure it sticks. I have played a bit with CTF's, Hackthebox, etc., and I'm ready for the challenge. It won't be wasted. My brain might explode, but that's no big deal.
  • Options
    xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @PC509- Congrats on the win!

I was watching the webinar, too. I've often heard it said that 80% of success is just showing up. Sometimes you get a bonus!
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • Options
    So I just learned from the eLS forums that the lab guide for the System Security lab is still crap. Now I'm happy that it's overpriced, as one of the main reasons why I would have bought the new version is because I expected that they fixed that lab.
  • Options
    500 is too much for me considering I have ptp v4.. I will save a few hundreds more for offsec ... much better for me since that's the end outcome.
  • Options
    I am thinking bout upgrading from v4 to v5 and decide to read their forum. Jens i think their marketing guy posted:
    Hi,
    there is no need to upgrade.

• Options
    If you want to upgrade for the lab manuals, you don't need to. They will update the lab manuals for PTPv4 as well for free.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wd40 wrote: »
    As a comparison, PTP V4 has 36 modules + 22 Labs, PTP V5 has 43 modules and 27 labs.

Someone copied this to elearnSecurity forum :D I think this is the first time ever that I was quoted online :D
  • Options
    averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    While I do like the additional material and labs, having a hard time justifying the ~$500 extra after purchasing it only a couple of months ago. I will probably stick with the v4 version.
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Enjoy it now, with the market trend (which is what everyone is failing to see here) prices will continue to go up across most companies that offer IT training. I can see two years from now these courses costing $2000 which is still margins below SANS/Global Knowledge/InfoSEC/ISC2/etc. I can see offensive security prices increasing soon too. Glad I just got the PWK for $1150 before they increase it lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Chrisone,
    I am pretty sure everyone understands the market trend in regards to prices. What the complaint is, is how Els treats their existing customers.

Their forum states:
    "There is a lot more new stuff than those 2 sections in the PTPv5 course"

but I don't believe it. Can someone who purchased PTPv5 post the slide count and/or md5 hash for all the modules.

Comparing the 2 syllabus shows that PTPv5 has 98% of PTPv4 (same topic titles, order, etc)
  • Options
    Chances are you won't get the same hash value...the comparison will have to go through the contents