Options

Question about the DVD in Syngress book

Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
Hey everyone, hope you're all doing great

I just ordered the Syngress book from Amazon, and wanted to know if the DVD actually came with a lot of video on it, or if it was like short clips that don't cover much. This will be the third book I will be using for the exam, fourth if you count Tcat's guide.

Thanks
Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University

Comments

• Options
    qazxswedcqazxswedc Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the syngress book, and the dvd is two hours of class room instructions, it just covers the most important topics from every chapter.
    sacrifice=results=success=happiness
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the Syngress Sec+, but it was published in 2002 so it's probably not the same one (exactly) that you ordered, but close. That DVD was one of the reasons I bought the book, and boy was I disappointed.

That DVD is simply the dumbest thing I have ever seen. It's short clips (about 4-7 minutes each, as I recall). It was a fake classroom setting in which the instuctor stated the most obvious, general, elemetary stuff. Following that was one or two dumb questions from even dumber students. The instructor answered these in vague generalities. He ended every video with the statement "for more detailed information check out chapter x in the book".

What a waste. I simply could not waste my time watching them all. After watching the first 3-4 in a row hoping they would get better, then skipping and randomly checking out 2-3 more, I was disgusted they would even include crappy material like that in an otherwise fine book.

Disclaimer: This is my own opinion. Any resemblance of this opinion to anyone else's opinion is purely coincidental. Anyone disagreeing with my opinion, however, is apparently very easily entertained by stupid videos.
    icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Really? Well I actually did order the 2002 version, so I guess I'll be watching the same videos. I hope I can still make use of them, I want to take in as much information as I can before exam day, which for me will be the 24th of June.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck. Let me know what you think of the videos, too. I would have given you mine for free, but I think I threw it away... icon_wink.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    qazxswedcqazxswedc Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ha,ha,ha, that's the same one i got, yeah your right it is a waste of time,
    and that was actually the same reason i got that book, well not the only reason, it was mostly because previously i had the examcram2 book for the security+, and it's only about 300 pages long ( not including practice tests) so that's when i tried looking for something more in depth, so i found the syngress book which is about 700 pages long.

oh well, more books or less books, prepare you must.
    sacrifice=results=success=happiness