Options

Recruiter asked for more detailed resume?

thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
Not sure how to respond to this one as it's a first for me. I recently trimmed my resume of all jobs over 10 years old and condensed things down to just over a page. Still, I feel I put a decent level of detail in my job descriptions.

I just got an email from a recruiter saying she thought my resume would be a good fit, but she was wondering if I had a more detailed resume that goes into more depth? Is that a thing these days? To have multiple resumes: one short and one long?

I don't mind expanding on things, but I'll have to take some time and give it some thought. Just wondering if this is a normal thing to hear from a recruiter.

She also asked about scheduling a phone call. What's the normal convention for response time to something like this? For instance, today is Thursday--is it reasonable to say Monday for the call, or is that too long?
2019 Goals: CCNP R&S

Comments

• Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know if this is a "thing". But some people maintain a full super lengthy version of their resume and then they tailor (cut) for specific applications. If it's just an initial phone call with HR/recruiting then I'd just do it tomorrow/monday. If it's with a hiring manager or tech screener I'd push til monday.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unless you've had just 1-2 jobs in those 10 years, it sounds like your efforts to trim down to one page might have been cutting too deep. There's nothing wrong with a two-page resume.
  • Options
    I've had five jobs in the last 10 years. Perhaps I was overly concise.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd say so, education, certs, maybe skills section and 5 jobs in 1 page can't leave a lot of detail.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I do 1 page for experience and 1 page for education/degrees, formal classes and certifications. Seems to be the sweet spot for me.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have one resume listing recent (10 years) positions and another with everything IT related (24 years). I never send out the long one. It's too big and doesn't have relevant stuff for the position. But, it's a record of my employment and comes in handy from time to time. I would have a hell of a time doing anything with Novell these days, but that's what I started with. It also lists a lot of really unnecessary certifications that I've outgrown. I don't need to brag anymore about my MCITP in Windows Vista Support.... Yea, I do. I'm a certified Microsoft professional with WINDOWS VISTA!!!!!!

If they need beyond 10 years, they're either government (FAA requires 10-14 years, I believe) or just curious as to your path to get where you are today.
  • Options
    bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    EANx wrote: »
    Unless you've had just 1-2 jobs in those 10 years, it sounds like your efforts to trim down to one page might have been cutting too deep. There's nothing wrong with a two-page resume.

My resume is 4 pages long, but I consider it more like a CV than a resume.
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a 3 page resume (which I aptly name CV as well) and I prefer it that way as opposed to 1-liners. It gives me a chance to highlight both high-visibility projects I've worked on which look interesting to a human reader, as well as all the technologies I've worked with, which look good for search bots and recruiters.

I think the last time I had a 1-page resume was when I was applying for my first IT job and I only had 1 relevant job to list.

My next job I'll either have to change formatting or make it 4 pages, as I don't like taking out content.
  • Options
    LeBroke wrote: »
    I have a 3 page resume (which I aptly name CV as well) and I prefer it that way as opposed to 1-liners. It gives me a chance to highlight both high-visibility projects I've worked on which look interesting to a human reader, as well as all the technologies I've worked with, which look good for search bots and recruiters.

I think the last time I had a 1-page resume was when I was applying for my first IT job and I only had 1 relevant job to list.

My next job I'll either have to change formatting or make it 4 pages, as I don't like taking out content.

Same here. I want employers to know everything about me, all that I have done and accomplished.
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • Options
    There are times I'll look at a three-page resume, depends on my mood and if I'm having trouble finding a good candidate. A four-pager gets tossed without being looked at. Not saying yours is this way but I find they tend to fit into one of two categories 1) Job descriptions made up mostly of bullet-lists or 2) Using 20 words when five will do. In both cases, they show the candidate doesn't know how to communicate well.
  • Options
    Flyslinger2Flyslinger2 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My current role required a PhD or 30 years of experience plus a host of certs and the detail to go with it.

I think it is entirely role based and you should tailor your boilerplate resume to what they want.

Never have a resume that is "stock" and as soon as you see an opportunity send it. You have to tailor it to match the requirements in the posting.
  • Options
    After some edits, mine is a bit longer now, but still in the 2-page range. Before, I just said things like "performed security audits", but this time around I added the names of tools used: Nessus, Burpsuite, Maltego, etc. Also added the model numbers of security appliances I worked with, e.g. Cisco ASA5506, rather than just generically saying "security appliances."
  • Options
    EANx wrote: »
    There are times I'll look at a three-page resume, depends on my mood and if I'm having trouble finding a good candidate. A four-pager gets tossed without being looked at. Not saying yours is this way but I find they tend to fit into one of two categories 1) Job descriptions made up mostly of bullet-lists or 2) Using 20 words when five will do. In both cases, they show the candidate doesn't know how to communicate well.

I disagree about the communication part. A long CV could mean the person had a long history.
  • Options
    You're free to disagree but my opinion is that it shows that a person doesn't know how to be brief. More importantly, you'll find that most recruiters and managers dislike long resumes. Don't believe me? Go Google how long a resume should be. Most answers are that two pages is the optimal length.
  • Options
    SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jumping in on this just to follow along. I recently hired a few firms to redo my IT resume. Not one, but all said absolutely not longer than 1 page and I have 12 years in the industry so that's what we went with. When I asked why, they said most of the HRIS systems are only scanning the first page of an incoming resume and even those sometimes only top 1/3rd of it. Past that it gets discarded. They all said save the details for the interview.

LOTS of interesting schools of thought on this one.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 EANx

Recent and relevant experience with the right keywords is all you need to land the interview. It is not a competition for the longest resume or who blather on about every technology they touched once. Clear and effective communication is a desired skill for those that work with management and executives on a regular basis.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response