Options

Passed Sec+ 401

mmcabemmcabe Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
I passed Security+ 401 the other day and wanted to pass along my thoughts, since I got so much good advice from this forum:

Study materials: Darril Gibson (book, premium online content, and phone app); Prof. Messer to fill in gaps; and Boson and MeasureUp practice exams, as well as the exams on Gibson and Messer's sites. Boson and MeasureUp are expensive and will raise questions that seem out of scope. However, the format is the closest to the real exam, and I did get a couple questions that I could answer only because of MeasureUp.

The test: Lots of vague and tricky questions. Basically the same format as Gibson, but take out pretty much any identifying info; e.g., a protocol will not be named--you need to identify it by its characteristics. I'm not just talking about easy ones in the chart like SSH and FTP. In addition, for most of the questions I remember, two answers were definitely right, and sometimes three or even four were right. So Gibson's elimination strategy is absolutely crucial to identify the "most right" answer.

The questions were also about twice as long and contained superfluous information as well as what you needed to know. Needless to say, this slows you down. I was flying through Gibson exams, but I finished the real exam with a minute to spare. (Fortunately, my PBQs were easy drag-and-drops.)

Hope this info helps anyone else trying to squeeze in this cert before the test expires.

Comments

• Options
    SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats mmcabe! What will you be attempting next?
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Options
    Thank you, and congrats to you, too.

The CISSP makes the most sense, given what I do now, so I just ordered my book. I'm going to take it at a slower pace than I did with this exam, though.

Not the case for you, I see! When do you plan to take your CCENT?
  • Options
    SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It really depends on how soon I finish my remaining courses at WGU for this term. I have Biology, Statistics, and Technical Writing to complete. I'll will try to overlap my CCENT studies with the rest so my optimistic goal is to take it around August or September. Trying to get CCNA certified before the end of the year. Really wanting to pursue a network analyst role at work as soon as possible.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Options
    D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Goteki54Goteki54 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great Job!!icon_cool.gif
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security +., SSCP
  • Options
    MdaudMdaud Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Thank you, all!
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!