Options

Experience with 70-744 Securing Windows server 2016

metaloadermetaloader Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I will be doing the 70-744 Securing Windows server 2016 soon.
I noticed there aren't CBT nuggets for this exam course.

Any advice/tips I could use?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't done the exam myself but I am going to by September hopefully. ITPro TV has a section for 70-744 if you have a subscription.

But some of the exam objectives are covered here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/security/security-and-assurance and here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/virtualization

I also found this website which has a free course touching on some of the subjects https://www.edx.org/course/windows-server-2016-security-features
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    dehgrahdehgrah Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pluralsight has Windows Server 2016 Security content too.
  • Options
    backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dehgrah wrote: »
    Pluralsight has Windows Server 2016 Security content too.

Do you happen to have the title or author of the Server 2016 Security specific content on PS? A quick search does not turn it up, I could be missing it.

<EDIT: You are in fact correct, they have at least two videos listed: Server 2016 Security Hardening by Glenn Weadock, and Securing Windows Server 2016 Virtualization by Rob Mc Millen. These are dated Mar 2017 and Oct 2017 respectively. If you search for 744 in the search box, "Windows Server Management" shows up. I looked at the first few videos listed which are cut and splices of other 740/741/742 content, HOWEVER, under "advanced" all the way at the bottom, are the two 744 related courses. It is possible the Peter Grant course on distributed networking crosses into the securing networking objective.> My apologies for the error!!

I had inquired about it a few months ago with one of their reps and they mentioned it was not on their radar nor did they have any current plans to add it in the near future (this is going back to Feb. this year....)

<EDIT: This makes the reps. response more curious, maybe they are just searching by exam # blindly- I'm guilty too apparently. Since they are 1/2 way there content wise, wonder if they will eventually complete the content....hmmm
    On a somewhat related note Udemy claims to have a 744 series. I'm going to check it out along with the PS content and will possibly report back.>
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • Options
    Do you happen to have the title or author of the Server 2016 Security specific content on PS? A quick search does not turn it up, I could be missing it.

<EDIT: You are in fact correct, they have at least two videos listed: Server 2016 Security Hardening by Glenn Weadock, and Securing Windows Server 2016 Virtualization by Rob Mc Millen. These are dated Mar 2017 and Oct 2017 respectively. If you search for 744 in the search box, "Windows Server Management" shows up. I looked at the first few videos listed which are cut and splices of other 740/741/742 content, HOWEVER, under "advanced" all the way at the bottom, are the two 744 related courses. It is possible the Peter Grant course on distributed networking crosses into the securing networking objective.> My apologies for the error!!

I had inquired about it a few months ago with one of their reps and they mentioned it was not on their radar nor did they have any current plans to add it in the near future (this is going back to Feb. this year....)

<EDIT: This makes the reps. response more curious, maybe they are just searching by exam # blindly- I'm guilty too apparently. Since they are 1/2 way there content wise, wonder if they will eventually complete the content....hmmm
    On a somewhat related note Udemy claims to have a 744 series. I'm going to check it out along with the PS content and will possibly report back.>

Did you look at the Udemy course for 70-744?

Its on offer now but I've looked at the content and it doesn't seem to be focused on the exam objectives. Only securing 2016 in general.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    Did you look at the Udemy course for 70-744?

Its on offer now but I've looked at the content and it doesn't seem to be focused on the exam objectives. Only securing 2016 in general.

I did. It was acceptable although a lot of Powerpoint slides, not many examples, and not enough PowerShell. Agreed, some of it is background info and not related to exam topics but it doesn't hurt to know some of that stuff either. For $9.99 USD if you catch it on sale, it is a good supplemental source.

Pluralsight does have most of the content. In addition to what I elaborated above they have JEA/JIT covered, and a couple of the other areas (threat detection) I originally omitted too- it took me a while to find everything. It is not all bundled up under one course heading "744" like the other exams.

I found myself reading a lot of TechNet especially for OMS and ATA info. Everything in print or in videos is simply outdated on those topics because the tools are changing so rapidly.

Congrats on your Server 2016 MCSA by the way!
  • Options
    I did. It was acceptable although a lot of Powerpoint slides, not many examples, and not enough PowerShell. Agreed, some of it is background info and not related to exam topics but it doesn't hurt to know some of that stuff either. For $9.99 USD if you catch it on sale, it is a good supplemental source.

Pluralsight does have most of the content. In addition to what I elaborated above they have JEA/JIT covered, and a couple of the other areas (threat detection) I originally omitted too- it took me a while to find everything. It is not all bundled up under one course heading "744" like the other exams.

I found myself reading a lot of TechNet especially for OMS and ATA info. Everything in print or in videos is simply outdated on those topics because the tools are changing so rapidly.

Congrats on your Server 2016 MCSA by the way!

Thanks, was again 70-742 difficult and many questions seemed unnecessary over complicated compared to 70-740 and 70-741 but the exam didn't give me issues unlike 70-741. Glad it's over now.

I have ITPro TV for 70-744 but I don't want to go through 33 hours of videos again. As you said many is out of date such as installation of WSUS is no longer an exam objective so that's about 2 hours of labs and studying which can be skipped.

With material for this exam very slim, i will skip through ITPro TV videos and mainly use technet combined with the exam ref book.
    Certifications:

• Options
    Thanks, was again 70-742 difficult and many questions seemed unnecessary over complicated compared to 70-740 and 70-741 but the exam didn't give me issues unlike 70-741. Glad it's over now.

I have ITPro TV for 70-744 but I don't want to go through 33 hours of videos again. As you said many is out of date such as installation of WSUS is no longer an exam objective so that's about 2 hours of labs and studying which can be skipped.

With material for this exam very slim, i will skip through ITPro TV videos and mainly use technet combined with the exam ref book.

Yep, WSUS is out per the latest exam objective doc. The version of the exam ref I had still had a decent chunk of pages in it on that topic. I was curious about ITProTV's content but I did not have access to it, so pieced together from what I had. If I'm remembering correctly there were a couple of good documentaries from the Microsoft Ignite sessions; PAW's and Host Guardian Service being the ones that readily come to mind, check those out if you get a chance. Good luck with the remainder of your studies.
  • Options
    Yep, WSUS is out per the latest exam objective doc. The version of the exam ref I had still had a decent chunk of pages in it on that topic. I was curious about ITProTV's content but I did not have access to it, so pieced together from what I had. If I'm remembering correctly there were a couple of good documentaries from the Microsoft Ignite sessions; PAW's and Host Guardian Service being the ones that readily come to mind, check those out if you get a chance. Good luck with the remainder of your studies.

Thanks, I will take a look at Microsoft Ignite sessions.
    Certifications:

• Options
    KalissieKalissie Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Mission Accomplished with a score of 803 icon_cheers.gif

From MCSA Windows 10, to MCSA Server 2016 and finally MCSA in Cloud and Infrastructure in just over 2 years. Its been a long, tough and expensive journey but glad its over now!
    Certifications:

• Options
    eillinois31eillinois31 Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□

From MCSA Windows 10, to MCSA Server 2016 and finally MCSA in Cloud and Infrastructure in just over 2 years. Its been a long and tough journey but glad its over now!

Awesome, congrats! I'm on a similiar track, just finished the MCSA 2016 this year(On 9/21/201icon_cool.gif and looking to also take 70-744/MCSA Win 10 and network+(haven't decided on exact order yet, on break right now).
  • Options

From MCSA Windows 10, to MCSA Server 2016 and finally MCSA in Cloud and Infrastructure in just over 2 years. Its been a long, tough and expensive journey but glad its over now!

Congrats! and welcome to the club icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I passed the 70-744 today. I don't think I'll take a Microsoft exam again in the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ertaz wrote: »
    I passed the 70-744 today. I don't think I'll take a Microsoft exam again in the foreseeable future.

Curious to hear why ? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
  • Options
    Azt7 wrote: »
    Curious to hear why ? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I just don't work directly on the technology anymore. I did it as a refresher and the amount of labbing I had to do to get up to speed was insane. Maybe my mileage is getting a little high...
  • Options
    I just don't work directly on the technology anymore. I did it as a refresher and the amount of labbing I had to do to get up to speed was insane. Maybe my mileage is getting a little high...

I thought you would have pointed out the poor quality of the questions icon_wink.gif
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
  • Options
    Azt7 wrote: »
    I thought you would have pointed out the poor quality of the questions icon_wink.gif

I guess after doing the Azure stuff I knew they would go after obtuse stuff and break everything down into steps. Know commands, know processes, know how to find the one detail in a question or table that points you in a different direction.
  • Options
    I guess after doing the Azure stuff I knew they would go after obtuse stuff and break everything down into steps. Know commands, know processes, know how to find the one detail in a question or table that points you in a different direction.

Same boat for me, I think I will be done for the foreseeable future. just did the 70-535 and now Microsoft is rolling out a new set of Azure certs again.