Options

WGU - MBA in IT Management

SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I started my program on May 1st. 3 months ago I had never heard of WGU until I found these forums. I have to say, I'm absolutely loving it so far. It's A LOT of work. Papers are averaging 12-16 pages each, I just turned in a 50ish page Project Manager report that's only 1 of 3 tasks for the Project Management class. Tons of valuable information I'm learning and getting to put some hands on some topics I don't normally touch is quite nice.

I'm going to estimate my completion of the program in about 9-10 months, give or take.

Anyone else do the MBA ITM program from WGU?
[2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
[2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't but I'm heavily leaning toward the program once I finish the CCIE so will be interested to see what you think about the different courses. I much prefer writing a paper to taking an exam.
  • Options
    EANx wrote: »
    I haven't but I'm heavily leaning toward the program once I finish the CCIE so will be interested to see what you think about the different courses. I much prefer writing a paper to taking an exam.

So far a TON of writing. The case studies are relevant and recent. I enjoy writing myself so no problem with that on this end. At some point in one's IT career they need to decide whether they stay technical forever or move towards managing. So far this program has every indicator of moving you towards a c-suite job and away from the tool belt.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+

• Options
    roxerroxer Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What made you decide to go with the MBA.ITM over the MS.ITM? I am at a cross roads as to which and would like to hear your reasoning.
  • Options
    roxer wrote: »
    What made you decide to go with the MBA.ITM over the MS.ITM? I am at a cross roads as to which and would like to hear your reasoning.

Great question. First and foremost, both programs looked fantastic to me. I was actually originally enrolled in the MS program and then switched to the MBA program in the last 2 weeks before start. Basically I stepped back and said "Why am I doing this? What is my end game here?"

My end level goal is a c-level position in the IT field. What c-level position, still TBD. Could be CIO, CTO, CSO, etc. What do they all have in common? They are all executive level management roles. Key word, management. When people hear the term management, they think business. When they think Master's degrees as they pertain to business, they think MBA. Also, in the general sense, an MBA is extremely versatile if I ever wanted to shift career paths out of IT. An MS specifically in ITM isn't as versatile.

In a smaller organization, I can definitely see the MS ITM being more valuable as more than likely you're going to have a hands on role and that degree is still quite technical. However, in a larger organization, a lot of your work is going to be managing people, money, projects etc., and the MBA will be more valuable.

In the end, neither option is better than the other. However, for my career goals, the MBA fits more where I want to head in life. I'm 32 years and just interviewed for my first CIO position at a major higher education institute. I didn't get the offer, but I still landed the interview. Without a doubt age played a factor but I truly believe an MBA will only help me get that offer in the future.

One thing to forget is that you can teach technical skills to anyone and you can always backfill an MBA with technical certifications like what I'm doing. You can't teach people leadership. They have the personality or they don't. Managing human capital is completely different and I thoroughly enjoy it.

I hope that makes sense, feel free to ask anything else.

• Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm taking the MBA:ITM as well. I do plan on going into management eventually, but it's more of a personal goal. When I first graduated high school, I took a job at a small business (managing their Novell network). I started taking Business Administration classes at the local community college, but never finished. I'd like to finish that path. WGU was the perfect place to do it without breaking the bank. I already have a couple technical degrees from there (BS: IT Security & MS: Information Security & Assurance).

If I don't become a manager, I will at least have more business experience to help with security mapping to the business goals, etc.. I won't just be a technical focused guy shooting in the dark when it comes to business.

That Project Management paper has me wrecked, though. It is a LOT of writing. I'm 3 other classes in, and this one has me stumbling. I've got about 30 pages, and as usual I'm not sure if it's good enough. I'm turning it in and then editing based on the graders report, though. I enjoy writing, but project management isn't exactly the most energy inducing topic for me!

Good luck! So far, it's a great program! It'll be a great addition to my education! Since it's out of my normal knowledge base, it's going a bit slower for me and most of it is new information (some of it is 'new', but I've had some exposure to it and/or common sense.). I'd like to complete as much as possible this term but will have to put the last class onto next term as it is a group project and I don't want to rush others/not have time to complete it.
  • Options
    PC509 wrote: »
    I'm taking the MBA:ITM as well. I do plan on going into management eventually, but it's more of a personal goal. When I first graduated high school, I took a job at a small business (managing their Novell network). I started taking Business Administration classes at the local community college, but never finished. I'd like to finish that path. WGU was the perfect place to do it without breaking the bank. I already have a couple technical degrees from there (BS: IT Security & MS: Information Security & Assurance).

If I don't become a manager, I will at least have more business experience to help with security mapping to the business goals, etc.. I won't just be a technical focused guy shooting in the dark when it comes to business.

That Project Management paper has me wrecked, though. It is a LOT of writing. I'm 3 other classes in, and this one has me stumbling. I've got about 30 pages, and as usual I'm not sure if it's good enough. I'm turning it in and then editing based on the graders report, though. I enjoy writing, but project management isn't exactly the most energy inducing topic for me!

Good luck! So far, it's a great program! It'll be a great addition to my education! Since it's out of my normal knowledge base, it's going a bit slower for me and most of it is new information (some of it is 'new', but I've had some exposure to it and/or common sense.). I'd like to complete as much as possible this term but will have to put the last class onto next term as it is a group project and I don't want to rush others/not have time to complete it.

MGT2 Task 1 you're talking about it? I just finished mine last week and passed it. What an absolute beast. I bitched a bit to my mentor about it. I think my full report was in the 40 something page range. It was a bit ridiculous. I passed in Task 2 this morning so we'll see how that goes. I enjoy project management, but not enough to do an assignment like that just for the hell of it!

I started May 1st and have C200 in the blue already. I should have MGT2 wrapped up this week and then move onto C202 next week putting 3 classes into the blue before the end of my first month. That's the goal anyway.

• Options
    I see with some degrees (including MS IT) they allow some certs to transfer in for credit but didn't see a section for the MBA. Do you know if they have any way to grant credit for the course based on certs? I'm specifically thinking of the Proj Mgt course and the PMP but any others as well.
  • Options
    EANx wrote: »
    I see with some degrees (including MS IT) they allow some certs to transfer in for credit but didn't see a section for the MBA. Do you know if they have any way to grant credit for the course based on certs? I'm specifically thinking of the Proj Mgt course and the PMP but any others as well.

No transfer credit at all for the MBA program. I had taken some Master's classes at Boston University years ago and unfortunately received no credit for it.

• Options
    roxerroxer Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the information to the both of you (Squished & PC509). I am in a senior level position now and want to move into a higher level position. I did not finish my degree after I left the military (big mistake as I was only one year away) and now am in the process of finishing up my last term. Hard to get hired without at least a BS/BA at a senior level. I want to fill a CISO or CIO role, but I would be happy at a smaller firm. Regardless, thanks for your insight! I agree that the MBA.ITM is the better choice for a c-level position. MY CIO will crap when I tell him I am pursuing an MBA as he doesn't have one. Heh.
  • Options
    roxer wrote: »
    Thanks for the information to the both of you (Squished & PC509). I am in a senior level position now and want to move into a higher level position. I did not finish my degree after I left the military (big mistake as I was only one year away) and now am in the process of finishing up my last term. Hard to get hired without at least a BS/BA at a senior level. I want to fill a CISO or CIO role, but I would be happy at a smaller firm. Regardless, thanks for your insight! I agree that the MBA.ITM is the better choice for a c-level position. MY CIO will crap when I tell him I am pursuing an MBA as he doesn't have one. Heh.

If you want to head up a specific department, e.g. networking, engineering, security, etc., then maybe the MS-ITM would be a better fit. If you want to sit at the head of the table.....MBA all the way. Just my opinion.

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think both degrees can help you get to a C-level executive position. I think either one will put you on the right path but an MBA will likely be the most aligned if you want to work across other industries/sectors.

I took some MBA courses/classes online to fill in the knowledge gaps and specific areas of an MBA upon graduation of my MS - ITM from WGU. This gives me the best of both worlds of business and tech. Best of luck in your decisions!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    I think both degrees can help you get to a C-level executive position. I think either one will put you on the right path but an MBA will likely be the most aligned if you want to work across other industries/sectors.

I took some MBA courses/classes online to fill in the knowledge gaps and specific areas of an MBA upon graduation of my MS - ITM from WGU. This gives me the best of both worlds of business and tech. Best of luck in your decisions!! :)

Did you ever consider getting the MBA from WGU as well in conjunction with your MS ITM?

• Options
    Squished wrote: »
    No transfer credit at all for the MBA program. I had taken some Master's classes at Boston University years ago and unfortunately received no credit for it.

Ah, well. I suppose it means I'm even more invested in the MBA if I pass up a chance to avoid a class with the MS IT.

I think you're right. It's not like one or the other gives you a big advantage and think the distinction is most important when you're still relatively early in your career. Under 30, it matters because you're there to learn a lot, 30-40, you have some flexibility and 40+ you're probably just checking-a-box and may already have master's-degree knowledge in either or both already. People can be good managers no matter when their degree is in. I have a great manager under me who has a Master's in English Lit, she's the only techie I've known to write well without help.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did you ever consider getting the MBA from WGU as well in conjunction with your MS ITM?

I did but I was ready to be done with school as I was personally burned out and other life commitments took precedence. I recently started my own business and company as well so I decided the classes/courses I took online would give me the MBA knowledge I needed to fill in business/marketing gaps. Also, I was student loan debt free so I didn't want more debt so I could funnel that to my travel funds venture around the world... hehe
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Passed in Task 3 for MGT2 last night which should hopefully conclude MGT2 for me. That make's 2 classes completed in 17 days since I started the program. The next class, C202, managing human capital is an objective based test so I should be able to take that relatively quickly which will conclude the three classes I have to take for the entire term by October. My goal is to squeeze 3-4 more in by the end of September which will leave me with about 3 classes next term to finish it out, something I should be able to do by the end of the year. This is all just speculation, we'll see how it actually goes.

• Options
    Just got word, passed Task #3 in MGT2. So that's 2 classes done as of 5/18/2018. I started the program on 5/1/2018. Making good headway so far.

• Options
    scwhitescwhite Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just curious why you feel you are going to need a 2nd term?
  • Options
    scwhite wrote: »
    Just curious why you feel you are going to need a 2nd term?
    My mentor said that she's had only one student finish in one term. While I would love to finish in one term, I do have a full-time job and a 9 month old at home. Not quite sure I'll be able to do it

• Options
    I hear you, not sure about masters but undergrad students pay a prorated tuition for under full time so if you end up with a class or two for your last term its half or more off tuition.

Good luck!
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I start my Group Capstone on the 4th, since I got the pre-work done yesterday. I've been going non-stop (minus a couple months for CISSP study) for the past two years. Going to take a much-needed two-week break. I'm exhausted. :D
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    I start my Group Capstone on the 4th, since I got the pre-work done yesterday. I've been going non-stop (minus a couple months for CISSP study) for the past two years. Going to take a much-needed two-week break. I'm exhausted. :D

Congrats. I'm hoping to wrap it up in 9-11 months, we'll see. How have you enjoyed the program?

• Options
    Congrats. I'm hoping to wrap it up in 9-11 months, we'll see. How have you enjoyed the program?

I have very much enjoyed this program. Being that it is a business degree, it covered the subjects that I had no knowledge. I've always been a technical person, and I felt that an MBA would close the gap for my lack of management skills. This degree plan has exceeded my expectations.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
  • Options
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    I have very much enjoyed this program. Being that it is a business degree, it covered the subjects that I had no knowledge. I've always been a technical person, and I felt that an MBA would close the gap for my lack of management skills. This degree plan has exceeded my expectations.

Did you take 2 years to do it deliberately? My mentor said 90% finish in under 2 terms. Fastest she's seen was just under 5 months. I'm in week 3 now and should have 3 courses done by Thursday. Definitely enjoying the coursework so far, it's interesting at least.

• Options
    Did you take 2 years to do it deliberately? My mentor said 90% finish in under 2 terms. Fastest she's seen was just under 5 months. I'm in week 3 now and should have 3 courses done by Thursday. Definitely enjoying the coursework so far, it's interesting at least.

Definitely not deliberately. Shortly after I started this MBA program, I was laid off from my previous job, so I had to take a small break to find a new job and move. Also take into consideration my new work schedule and commute, and also an unofficial 2 month break to study for CISSP... it just happened that way.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A very good friend once told me something that I've grown to see is very true: you can't always be the guy behind the keyboard and there is no money in it in the long term. I'm coming up on almost 10 years in the game and I've seen it time and again. I like to think I've stayed on top of technology really well, but fact is eventually it will get beyond me. I'll always understand it from a high level and in the end, where most of us end up, that's all that will be needed. I've found that if I need to know it my agency will send me to be trained in it (with input from me of course).

Long term I am looking at what retirement will be for me. I'll be 57 years old and will probably be wanting to do my own thing (have an LLC to make sure something like that is already established once I go). MBA seems to be one of the best choices for the future because as with everything (especially crime) it all comes down to money and moving it/finding it/getting it. For now it's the academy for six months and then two long term goals to complete.

Best of luck and thanks for posting this!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Yeah, its really kinda like being a mechanic. How many hours will that take you? When can you start the next project? etc.

I think the worst part of IT is working for companies that have an IT management team/leader that really is not qualified. Lack of understanding creates impossible expectations or the flip side, nothing getting done in a timely manner.

Adding an MBA to a few decades of IT experience is the way to go. Getting more tech certification and training late in your career only makes sense if that's the way you want to wind down. Be aware though that it you find yourself on the job market as a programmer, SA etc in your 50's its not going to be easy if nothing pops fast through connections.
  • Options
    May 24 - 24 days into my first term and I just passed my third class, C202 - Managing Human Capital. This was my first objective proctored exam with WGU. Spent about 3-4 hours reviewing the "flashcards" for each chapter, didn't read a single chapter and I blew the test away based off personal experience. Love this competency based degree!

1/3 of the way done with my degree in the first month of six months in the first term! Maybe I will go for a one term wonder. :)

• Options
    Ok, back at it. Took a couple weeks off to enjoy some early season fishing and family time. Just passed my fourth class last week and I'm halfway through my 5th class which should be done by the end of the month. Still loving the program so far and looking forward to fast tracking all the way to the end!

Absolutely no reason I won't have this degree done in 2018.

• Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I completed the WGU:MBA program last year
    Below is my progress thread if you're interested

Hit me up if any questions

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/123801-mzx380s-wgu-mba-information-technology-management-progress-thread.html
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    mzx380 wrote: »
    I completed the WGU:MBA program last year
    Below is my progress thread if you're interested

Hit me up if any questions

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/123801-mzx380s-wgu-mba-information-technology-management-progress-thread.html

Awesome. Am I correct in reading you did it in about 10 months?