"Join our talent network!"

SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
So many employers now are setting up these "talent networks," a place you can go upload your resume to your favorite employer and dream about when they call you with the perfect job opening that matches your resume. How many of you think these talent networks are crap and HR professionals don't even look at them?
[2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
[2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”

Comments

• johndoeejohndoee Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The key word in that sentence was talent and the second key word is matching.

I have been contacted twice in the past 30 days or so regarding my resume I submitted to a talent network. That is really like a hey, you applied for a job let us keep your resume on file so if an opening matches your job... Or submit your resume and if someone matches your qualifications we will contact you.

Some things to keep in mind. 1. How is your resume different from the other 200 they have in the system? 2. What certifications/education do you have? 3. Does your resume have those key words?

If I am looking for someone with CEH, from your signature you don't have CEH and I would never contact you.

If I am looking for someone with MCSE, MCSA, or MCITP from your signature you don't have it and I would never contact you.

If I am looking for someone with Security+ and Network+ and it's 80 resumes with those, your resume might be 55 and the recruiter would not have to skim through 25 more resumes to find qualified people. They can pick from the first hand full.

It's a lot that goes into if your resume was looked at. Ask yourself, what makes your resume different from the other people that applied. IF you are in an IT hub, such as Virginia, DC, etc those numbers are on the low side and you must really have a resume buzzing with key words. IF you are looking any position, you really have to know what they are looking for and know that IT is a competitive field.
  • SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh, I didn't mean it in the sense for me specifically. Just in the general sense that I have to laugh about what a talent network really is.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+

• Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Never heard of this.

I believe in this day and age going after your dream company is outdated and probably will end nowhere like you suggested.

We all have to admit the recruitment process is broken. If you have the right experience & certs, recruiters will reach out to you on LinkedIn.

I'd rather get an inmail on LinkedIn or use a connection for a referral than do any type of these Talent Networks.
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
    Azt7 wrote: »
    Never heard of this.

I believe in this day and age going after your dream company is outdated and probably will end nowhere like you suggested.

We all have to admit the recruitment process is broken. If you have the right experience & certs, recruiters will reach out to you on LinkedIn.

I'd rather get an inmail on LinkedIn or use a connection for a referral than do any type of these Talent Networks.

Absolutely agree. The Talent Networks are just black holes of your resume.

• PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Squished wrote: »
    [2018/2019] - MBA - IT Management - WGU

There was a class in the first term that went over talent pools and the like.

I'd say yes they work and HR professionals do utilize them. They probably just have a huge pool to filter through. I've gotten several calls in the past from places that held onto my resume after a job interview or a talent network where you apply even without a job opening.
    PC509 wrote: »
    There was a class in the first term that went over talent pools and the like.

I'd say yes they work and HR professionals do utilize them. They probably just have a huge pool to filter through. I've gotten several calls in the past from places that held onto my resume after a job interview or a talent network where you apply even without a job opening.

Hah! I just started May 1st, so I look forward to seeing about that.

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Squished wrote: »
    So many employers now are setting up these "talent networks," a place you can go upload your resume to your favorite employer and dream about when they call you with the perfect job opening that matches your resume. How many of you think these talent networks are crap and HR professionals don't even look at them?

Going after your dream company is not dead. I think you can go after your dream company, but you need to leverage your network. Is there someone in your network that can introduce you to someone that can vouch for you? Can they speak good words regarding your experience and work ethics?

Talent pools, sounds like the new age way of saying "we will keep your resume on file." I see talent pools mostly at recruiting agencies,and they will pull your resume and call you when a position matches your resume. I imagine it's alot easier to call a candidate with a resume stored on a database, then it is to post a position.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor