Options

Transcripts

denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
Has anybody ever checked your college transcripts or as a hiring manager have you checked anybodies college transcripts? Is this common practice in IT?

Comments

• Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Had to show my degree once but no transcripts.
  • Options
    johndoeejohndoee Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    denis92 wrote: »
    Has anybody ever checked your college transcripts or as a hiring manager have you checked anybodies college transcripts? Is this common practice in IT?

I would not say common. But, I will say that for my current job I had to produce transcripts. Had nothing to do with GPA, and everything to do with the mandatory 4-year degree requirement. Usually when an organization says mandatory it really is not mandatory and experience can trump everything with regards to a degree. But, in this particular case, either you had a degree or you didn't. No degree, on to the next.

An accredited university was mandatory. The recruiter put emphasis on accredited university once in an email and once over the phone. I guess that is another thread through. Although the organization still conducted a thorough background check with an unnamed company, producing the transcripts enabled me to speed up the process.

Long story short, lying on a resume is easy to do. I know that is a surprise and all. I honestly know of one other company besides for the one that I am with that verified everything on your resume. Interestingly enough, they both use the same company for background checks.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Of all the people I've hired, I've never felt the desire to check transcripts. Checking degree completion is one thing, verifying a GPA is a little too pedantic for me.
  • Options
    SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Possibly if you're early in your career. Once your experience trumps your degree though I'd say it becomes irrelevant. Degree is just a checkbox on the resume at that point.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”