Road to VCP6-DCV Blog

urstuffplz1urstuffplz1 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I've decided to write about my path to obtaining the VCP6-DCV vendor certification. I've managed to get myself onto the final running of the Stanly CC ICM course before VMware changes and the prices hike. Also, I now work in a job where we have a very large vSphere setup, and now is the time to truly learn and understand the product and technologies.

My plan of tackle is to the read 'Mastering VMware vSphere 6' book cover-to-cover, whilst building my own labs on the technologies as I go through the book. Also, I plan to write comprehensive notes into OneNote going through this book of the key information that I need to know. Once my ICM course starts on the 31st of May I will also go through the relevant labs they provide at the point of study I am at - I am hoping the combination of self-built and guided labs will give me enough exposure and coverage to learn and understand the technologies. In addition to this, I plan to review my OneNote notes on a daily basis, as well as building Anki cards on the key facts/information to further reinforce the knowledge. I am hoping to take the foundation exam as soon as I receive my voucher from the Stanly CC course, but I will see where I am at close to that time towards the end of July.

I have only started today, but I have covered 2/3 of Chapter 1 of the Mastering VMware vSphere 6 book - plenty of new technologies, terminology and acronyms to remember, but it's certainly a step moving forward. I plan to finish the other 1/3 of the chapter tomorrow and have chapter 2 (ESXi installation) and chapter 3 (vCenter installation) covered by the end of the weekend so that I can setup my lab correctly and practice what is covered in those chapters.
2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[X], CCNP Switch 300-115[X], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[X], VCP-DCV 6[], 70-412[], 70-413[], 70-414[]

Comments

• duta74duta74 Member Posts: 143 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi urstuffplz1,

I also enrrolled in Stanly and looking forward to the course will plan to buy the book this week. Thanks for the recommendation.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • edwilliamskyedwilliamsky Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am starting Stanly's course soon for the same reasons. Regret buying the ebook that appears to just be powerpoint slides...I'll have access to Mastering VMWare through Safari, so going to start working through that next week. I rmanage our client's vSphere deployment's full time, so wanted to add this cert on the resume before pricing changes made it a bit less desirable (since it's on my dime).
  • scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Whatever you watch, read, do, study - align your exam preparations to the objectives listed in the exam guide PDFs, for both the Foundations exam and VCP exam.

The guides are on the pages for the individual exams, which you can get to from here:

VCP6-DCV https://www.vmware.com/education-services/certification/vcp6-dcv.html
    VCP6.5-DCV https://www.vmware.com/education-services/certification/vcp6-5-dcv.html
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
    Hi scott28tt,

What books do you recommend for the training and the exam ?
    Im unable to find it on amazon.ca or ebay.ca

Thanks!
    2020 Year goals:

I got the book Mastering in VMware 6.0 is it good?
    2020 Year goals: