Options

Which CCNA self study books are good?

nactnact Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□

Comments

• Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it is more important to pick one and start rather then to find the best information.

If you start google searching you will find an unlimited amount of info on CCNA. It becomes overwhelming. I would recommend buying a single book and read it from beginning to end. Even if you don't understand it all the first time it will start to make more sense as you move along. A lot of people give up after the first few chapters because it seems like to much at the time.

I personally use Odem's book the first time I took the test. If I renew it I am going to use Lammle.

Good Luck!
    Jon
  • Options
    MashoTGMashoTG Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The exam cram for 125 was the best book imo. I read nearly every ccna book on amazon too. Id say its the main reason i passed.
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Jon Cisco's recommendation. Todd Lammle
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    WarDoctorWarDoctor Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently using Lammle's book for my CCNA studies. Read each chapter, take the assessment tests at the end, re-read the chapter on the areas that still a bit fuzzy, then move on. You can then use Google, Youtube, etc. to help clear up certain parts that just don't make sense. I wouldn't recommend purchasing INE, CBT nuggets, or any of those type of (GREAT!) online video resources until you have a solid foundation of networking. I've read through Todd Lammle's CCNA book a couple of times, & then supplemented my learning with MANY online video's. Like Jon_Cisco said, it can be overwhelming. Just try to stick to one particular hardback resource, then use Google/Youtube to clarify any blurry topics. :)
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Being that you have Todd Lammle's book, be sure to check this out -
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/117496
  • Options
    asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello, For initial preparation, Cisco official press book is good (Author :Wendell Odom). ON top of it, you can use Cisco Packet Tracer for hands-on practice. Alternatively, you may conside Boson or Certexams Netsim for CCNA. Also check out free CCETN cram notes. Finally its suggested to take some third party practice tests in addition to those usually provided in study guide.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Shinjusn0wShinjusn0w Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WarDoctor wrote: »
    I'm currently using Lammle's book for my CCNA studies. Read each chapter, take the assessment tests at the end, re-read the chapter on the areas that still a bit fuzzy, then move on. You can then use Google, Youtube, etc. to help clear up certain parts that just don't make sense. I wouldn't recommend purchasing INE, CBT nuggets, or any of those type of (GREAT!) online video resources until you have a solid foundation of networking. I've read through Todd Lammle's CCNA book a couple of times, & then supplemented my learning with MANY online video's. Like Jon_Cisco said, it can be overwhelming. Just try to stick to one particular hardback resource, then use Google/Youtube to clarify any blurry topics. :)

Good info. I will use this for my self study as well. Im going CCENT first though.

Thanks WarDoctor

Thanks all for the useful information!