Options

Interview for tier 1.5

georgiosgeorgios Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys

It’s been a while. I recently got a interview for tier 1.5 engineer. The guy said they would ask ad/gpo/networking, network/protocol/ports, firewall, Skype/messaging, backup, citrix, vmware. First several I’m ok with that. But from firewall to vmware I never touched. What kind of information can I cram in ONE DAY?:) Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cramming the night before wont help you. You are better work on your attitude toward question that you don't know the answer. Don't try to bullshit your way, it won't help you on the long term.
  • Options
    Cramming the night before wont help you. You are better work on your attitude toward question that you don't know the answer. Don't try to bullshit your way, it won't help you on the long term.

You are correct, I just want to cram a bit to be less awkward when they ask. I can’t just say “I don’t know” for all of them, can I?
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You are better telling them that you dont have much experience with this, than to try to bullshit some kind of answer. Make sure to say that you can learn, that you can find a solution, etc. They are interviewing you for a 1.5 level tech, they can't expect you to know everything. After the interview, they must believe you have at least the potential to be the guy they need.
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't see anything difficult with the topics you listed. You should be familiar with networking concepts with a network+ material. Even if you never touched a firewall, you still know about ACL, rules, deny/allow. Vmware is similar to many other virtualization software that you should be familiar with already.

As long as you didn't brain **** your certs - I don't see anything difficult here. It doesn't hurt to look up some topics though before the interview. Just don't BS your way out during the interview - like mentioned before.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    mikey88 wrote: »
    I don't see anything difficult with the topics you listed. You should be familiar with networking concepts with a network+ material. Even if you never touched a firewall, you still know about ACL, rules, deny/allow. Vmware is similar to many other virtualization software that you should be familiar with already.

As long as you didn't brain **** your certs - I don't see anything difficult here. It doesn't hurt to look up some topics though before the interview. Just don't BS your way out during the interview - like mentioned before.

If they ask hyperv and virtualbox sure i can say something but not vmware which i haven’t touched. And lync/skype, citrix etc are not things you normally do in home labs and tier 1 helpdesk jobs.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    At this point with so little time you’re better off making sure to brush up on the things you do know. It’s ok to not know every tool or technology, but the ones you do make sure you know well. Most people are looking for aptitude and cultural fit more than they are a trivia master.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ansionnachclisteansionnachcliste Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excel in the things you do know and show how quickly you learned them. If you have a very basic understanding of weaker concepts, explain this but show your willingness to learn and your adaptability to such situations, architecture and concepts.

Best of luck.