Options

i don't think i'm doing the right thing, am i?

qazxswedcqazxswedc Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I could say since highschool(2004) i haven't taken a break from studying.
After 4 days apon highschool graduation, i decided to go to a computer
institute for 8 months which coverd a+ and net+ training. Apon graduation i decide to study for the A+ cert before getting a job. Then after i passed i felt, hey, i'll just take the net+ too. After i passed that cert i felt like i should get a nother cert before i start looking for a job, so that's when i decided to study for the sec+, after three months of home study, i decided to take the exam, failed it, i was very upset, so i studied some more and failed again, that's when i came to the conclusion that i wasn't ready for the test b/c of the grade i got. I felt i still needed the third cert, so i i decided to skip the sec+ and moved on to the server+ which i passed after 3 months.

The point behind all of this is that i don't really know if i'm doing the right thing, well it did pay off, but during that time, it was hell.
sacrifice=results=success=happiness

Comments

• Options
    PsychoAUPsychoAU Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hmm... all that studying and you never managed to learn how to spell upon?
  • Options
    qazxswedcqazxswedc Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ha, ha, ha, yeah i made a mistake, but at least i'm not the one carrying
    0 certs, maybe i can give you some advice on choosing your first cert.
    sacrifice=results=success=happiness
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LOL well put waltercousa

PsychoAU you just got PWNED!!!
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Not that it matters, but he doesn't have to list his certs, it's a choice, so he may have more than you think. But, the spelling correction isn't really required.

Anyway, what do you want to do in IT? If you keep piling up the certs without adding relevent experience, you won't really get anywhere. There's Systems, Databasing, Networking, just name a few. You should read up on each, and see what interests you the most. Then follow along those lines with the matching certs, and you'll start getting calls for jobs....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    It's amazing what high schools are pushing out the door nowadays.
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Imagine the HR person reading that resume... icon_eek.gif I don't think all the certs in the world would matter if spelling, punctuation, and grammar are not correct. icon_redface.gif

But on a lighter note, hopefully you have been building some "real-world" experience to go with all those certs, otherwise that first day on the job, when you are asked to perform some task and you don't know, well that would make for a very awkward situation. icon_confused.gif

Wonder if he came from the school I work in...we have Seniors who don't know how to read, but yet they are graduating...go figure.
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
    As to whether you're doing the right thing, that's a matter of opinion.

My opinion, don't focus on the certs, go to college, a 4 degree is forever, a cert is only only covers current trends and technology.

-Frank
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Everyone that thinks they need to jump on the guy for a spelling error should just icon_cool.gif chill out icon_cool.gif . This is a forum, not spelling bee. How many times have I seen poor grammar, chopped sentences, misuse of punctuation, etc., and no one cares. I think maybe pyscho was just kidding around, and walter jabbed back in fun. Let's not worry about education in America because a guy spelled "upon" wrong.

PS - If I spelled anything wrong above, I, uhhh, did it on purpose.. yeah!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    HA! You wrote "icon_cool.gif" twice for no apparent reason; and as they aren't words, I will have to assume they're typos.
    GO BACK TO GRADE SCHOOL!!
    ;)
    witty comment
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Give the guy a break. It's time to look for a job now, dude. Having a bunch of certs with no relevant experience is not always good.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    _omni_ wrote:
    HA! You wrote "icon_cool.gif" twice for no apparent reason; and as they aren't words, I will have to assume they're typos.
    GO BACK TO GRADE SCHOOL!!
    ;)

Always one up on me, aren't you _omni_?
    icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I would go get a job. It is not a waste.
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
  • Options
    Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You said it did pay off, you got a job out of it, or just happy you completed your certs? If you got 8 months of training you should do well. Just remember certs do not make you an expert, they indicate you have the basic knowlage. Good luck with your next endevor.
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Here is my 2pence worth

Everyone no matter who you are has to start at the bottom, so no matter what certs you have thats were you should be looking, an entry level network job. How long it takes you to get one of those jobs is anyones guess so carry on with the certs and soon enough someone will give you a start to your IT career. I have worked in 3 schools and consider myself very near the bottom until that is i enter industry and be on a respectable salary.

Hope that helps

Lee