Options

One goal 2018: CISSP

aliasilyasaliasilyas Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
My goal for this year is the cissp. I already have a few it-security certifications and successfully passed the ISO27001 Information Security Officer this year. This success motivated me to sit down again and tackle the CISSP.
I took my first start in 2016, but then I didn't have the courage to take the exam. Instead, I successfully passed the SSCP in december 2016 and then Security+ and CySA in 2017 - but I failed the CASP in 2017.

Sources to learn:
- CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide Seventh Edition (Sybex)
- CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide Eighth Edition (Sybex)
- CISSP Official Practice Tests (Sybex)
- CASP CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner Study Guide
- CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) CAS-002 Cert Guide (Pearson)
- SSCP (ISC) 2 Systems Security Certified Practitioner Official Study Guide (Sybex)
- The Sunflower CISSP Stuff Study Guide 2017
- Cybrary

My main question is: would you, as a non-native speaker, take the new CAT exam or the old exam in your native language? CAT exam is in English (3 hours: 100-150 questions) Old exam is in my native language and additionally I get the questions in English. (6 hours: 250 questions)

Comments

• Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on all the past successes!

Let me start by saying I haven't taken the new CAT version of the exam and took the 6 hour version and survived. But the CISSP exam questions can be tricky and understanding what the question is asking is critical in selecting the correct answer. Often times all of the multiple choice answers are closely related and would all be within the realm of possible correct answers so understanding the questions are key. I'd suggest taking the old version in your native language.

I'd also suggest doing your studies and see how you feel with the Official Practice Test questions and if you're comfortable with the english version then go for the CAT.

Another suggestion would be not to do the entire CASP or SSCP study guides. Those may get you off track and lose focus on the core CISSP material. I would select specific areas of the CASP materials to use to supplement your CISSP studies.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    aliasilyas wrote: »
    My main question is: would you, as a non-native speaker, take the new CAT exam or the old exam in your native language? CAT exam is in English (3 hours: 100-150 questions) Old exam is in my native language and additionally I get the questions in English. (6 hours: 250 questions)

Given the choice, I personally would have tackled the old / linear exam format. However, depending on how comfortable you are in taking it in English, you may not want to spend 6 hours of your life sitting for it.
    Another suggestion would be not to do the entire CASP or SSCP study guides. Those may get you off track and lose focus on the core CISSP material. I would select specific areas of the CASP materials to use to supplement your CISSP studies.

+1

I've read multiple posts here in TE that they've only used Sybex as their main reference. If I may, I would suggest replacing the CASP and SSCP materials with the 11th Hour by Eric Conrad. If you have a Facebook account, there's also the CISSP Exam Preparation - Study Notes and Theory group by Luke Ahmed which I found to very helpful as well.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options
    aliasilyasaliasilyas Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My thoughts on the CASP documents were to deepen the topics, but thanks for the tip - I will stick to the CISSP documents instead.
    Exam is now booked for the end of October. -> My very personal Halloween icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm not a native speaker, but all of my IT experience is in the U.S. It depends how well you know the technical terminology in your native language.

Good luck.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux