Options

Worried about my degree

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
So next semester, I will be in sophmore year of my CIS degree. I want to go the Network Engineer and Sys Admin routes. I dont have any certs or interns, YET. I will get the A+/Net+/Sec+ cert combo before I graduate. But Im worried that I will be one of those people who end up working at McDonalds when I graduate, I WANT to work in the I.T field and wanted to since I was a little boy... What should I do?

Comments

• Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'll want to get experience. Try volunteering or get yourself hired as IT help at your school. Get some kind of experience on your resume.

In IT, experience > all.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    internships, work on finding them as soon as possible. A lot of schools help with this. I'd check there first for resources that can help you.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Certs+Degrees+Experience = Holy Trifecta

I also recommend finding volunteer work at maybe a local school or churches.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you want to be a network engineer go for the CCNA and start looking for network related experience/internships. Don't be picky though, anything on the resume is better than nothing.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.