Options

eCPPT - Journey towards InfoSec starts now.

LamplightLamplight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, all.

Been a long while since I posted here. Just passed the CCNA Security a couple of weeks ago.

I'm finally to a point where i have a good foundation to purse an InfoSec career.

About a month ago I received an email from Ethical Hacker. Net about a free course PTS(barebone edition) from E-Learn-Security. I jumped on it, and was ready to upgrade to the elite to utilize the labs, and no expiration, but, I had received the webinar for the PTPV5 & I liked the discount, and the fact that the lab time is deducted by time used & not the day so I enrolled using the installments; With a newborn this was the best route, since study time is limited at the moment but it should get better.

Since my knowledge is limited in pentesting & scripting this should be a better start than OSCP.

Hopefully I can knock this out in 3-5 months. Then I plan on prepping for the OSCP

I came across this book: is this a good one to grab?

Georgia Weidman
Penetration Testing: A Hands-On Introduction to Hacking

I plan on using this as a log for my studies, so more to come!

Thanks!
Working On: eCPPT

Comments

• Options
    trac0detrac0de Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey,

I know a lot of ppl would recommend this book. I've read it and I must say there are better books out there.
    Georgia Weidman book basically is outdated. I've read on her twitter that she working on the second one but not sure if that's even is true.
    As infosec related she isn't the best person to follow on Twitter.
    I would recommend :
    Peter Kim trilogy ( i would start from second part)
    The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing, Second Edition: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy 2nd Edition
    by Patrick Engebretson
    The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Finding and Exploiting Security Flaws 2nd Edition
    by Dafydd Stuttard
    Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, 2nd Edition 2nd Edition
    by Jon Erickson
    Attacking Network Protocols: A Hacker's Guide to Capture, Analysis, and Exploitation 1st Edition
    by James Forshaw
    Gray Hat Hacking The Ethical Hacker's Handbook, Fifth Edition 5th Edition
    by Allen Harper ( will be out on 8th June )
  • Options
    trac0de wrote: »
    Hey,

I know a lot of ppl would recommend this book. I've read it and I must say there are better books out there.
    Georgia Weidman book basically is outdated. I've read on her twitter that she working on the second one but not sure if that's even is true.
    As infosec related she isn't the best person to follow on Twitter.
    I would recommend :
    Peter Kim trilogy ( i would start from second part)
    The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing, Second Edition: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy 2nd Edition
    by Patrick Engebretson
    The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Finding and Exploiting Security Flaws 2nd Edition
    by Dafydd Stuttard
    Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, 2nd Edition 2nd Edition
    by Jon Erickson
    Attacking Network Protocols: A Hacker's Guide to Capture, Analysis, and Exploitation 1st Edition
    by James Forshaw
    Gray Hat Hacking The Ethical Hacker's Handbook, Fifth Edition 5th Edition
    by Allen Harper ( will be out on 8th June )

Thank you for the reply, trac0de!

Appreciate the info regarding the Weidman book; I definitely want something new & updated.

I'll look into picking up the book by Patrick Engebretson to go along with my studies.

icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The content of the Georgia Weidman book is good and there is an accompanying free video course on Cybrary.it. I agree though, it's getting outdated. Also, some of the tools you'd need to lab alongside the text are no longer available, making labbing no longer practical.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    trac0detrac0de Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    The content of the Georgia Weidman book is good and there is an accompanying free video course on Cybrary.it. I agree though, it's getting outdated. Also, some of the tools you'd need to lab alongside the text are no longer available, making labbing no longer practical.
    Exactly.

Don't get me wrong Lamplight Weidman book is ok but I would not buy it again. If you can get pdf somewhere cheaper than ok but paper book I would not.

Patrick Engebretson book is from 2013 but it's good for a beginner.

Few books I have mentioned are a bit old but material is still valid (Dafydd Stuttard).
  • Options
    trac0de wrote: »
    Exactly.

Don't get me wrong Lamplight Weidman book is ok but I would not buy it again. If you can get pdf somewhere cheaper than ok but paper book I would not.

Patrick Engebretson book is from 2013 but it's good for a beginner.

Few books I have mentioned are a bit old but material is still valid (Dafydd Stuttard).

I understand.

I looked into some of those of those books, and it seems like they would be kinda be over my head at this point. I just wanted a casual read to get feel & mindset.

Thank you for all of your help!
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can start with some free Cybrary courses, they are old but will give you a good foundation.

https://www.cybrary.it/course/ethical-hacking/

https://www.cybrary.it/course/advanced-penetration-testing/