Options

LAB Server question

Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
I currently have a HP Proliant DL 160 G6 server running esxi 5.5. It runs server2016 wih no problem. However I have not been able to get hyper-v to work as a nested VM. I think I might need newer hardware to support this. I still have to play with this some more to confirm. I am planning on taking 70-740, 70-741, 70-742 to get my MCSA.

Is it worth setting up a machine to run off of Hyper-v instead of ESXi? I have not looked into it yet but it seems like the hypervisor for windows is free and i can just run evaluation copies of server 2016 on it.

So far I am considering Dell PowerEdge R710.

Any feedback about other peoples labs would be appreciated.
Jon

Comments

• Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For nested VM's to work, you need an Intel CPU from the 7th generation (i5/i7 7xxx series) or above. AMD CPU's are not support, not even the latest Ryzen CPU's icon_cry.gif

Its a good idea to do everything Hyper-v instead of ESXi because there will be many questions in 70-740 and 70-741 in regards to Hyper-v. That's what I did, so I knew questions straight away because I had been using it for labbing.

The hypervisor is free with Server 2008/2012/2016 also with Windows 8/10 Pro and Enterprise editions. Just install the evaluations copies of any of them and lab away :)
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    Thanks for the response. Do you have any suggestions for a reasonably priced lab server?
    I am looking to set something up for under $1000 that I can use for a few years.
  • Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Probably that question would be best for someone else to answer.

But as for me I built my lab server with normal desktop parts. 8 core AMD CPU (so no nested VM's for me) 128gb ssd, with two 500gb HDD in raid and 16gb of DDR3 ram. Runs all the VM's I throw at it.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used an old desktop I had that I could throw 16GB of RAM into. It has a 4-core CPU and I made it work just fine for my MCSA in 2012.

Another suggestion is look at your own desktop. If you have Windows 10 you can Install Hyper-V locally (I think it has to be the pro version) and as long as you have enough RAM you can run a few VMs off of that.

Beyond that if you want something dedicated, the Dell PowerEdge R710s are generally pretty good if you're looking for something rack mount and used. Anything with newer Intel stuff is going to nail you on the costs of RAM (I have a pair of PowerEdge T130s and they use DDR4 ECC UDIMMs which run $190 USD a stick).
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Options
    I am definitely looking to add to my rack. I have a mix of routers and switches from my CCNA and I have one server that I used just to get familiar with ESXi and windows servers.

I am looking to continue to build my home lab to gain familiarity and flexibility in the things I try studying. Since so many people have home labs I always try to look at other setups before I buy anything.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Jon
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Options
    backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ertaz wrote: »

Interesting article!, thanks for posting it.

In regards to memory, try to shoot for 32gb minimum, closer to 64 if you want room to grow. For example, the PluralSight suggested VM lab for 740/high availability/clustering is suggesting having 16-17 machines up at once, so you can see how that would go quick. Add a test nested box or two in there and run them simultaneously you'll eat though the memory. It is also possible to run the labs in smaller scale too if you don't have the hardware.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've got a dual 2670 v1 setup with 128gb of ram. I run Server 2016 as the HyperV host at the moment. I may switch to ESXI later.
  • Options
    So far I have added ram to my mac so I can now run hyper-v inside vmware Fusion.
    It seems a lot slower then the machines running on the dedicated server but everything appears to be functioning correctly.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Jon