Options

CISSP material

koolguy123koolguy123 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I've been reading on and off for CISSP exam but due to extended workload could not focus. Now, I am quite determine to crack this exam pretty fast. I've been reading Sybex 7th edition book but I feel like this book is too big as I am looking to give an exam in August 2018.
I am thinking of reading / watching following book/ videos:

Cybrary CISSP
11th hour

Any other book / practice exam recommendation pls ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Other than the 11th hour study guide, every other book is pretty dense (Sybex, AIO, Official ISC2 CISSP CBOK) with the content. If your goal is to directly focus on high overview of the concepts with questions, I'd recommend on purchasing the BOSON exam simulator, Sybex ISC2 exam bank / CCCure as you can tackle the questions at your own pace. I think McGraw Hill has some free CISSP exam banks as well. Personally I would recommend going through at least one of the larger study textbooks to cover material that you haven't seen before.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    @DNZ Thanks for your suggestion. I think I will go through Sybex before going over 11th hour and BOSON.

Thanks
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I could suggest Eric Conrad' CISSP Study Guide. It is the big brother of the 11th Hour book. I found it more straight to the point, than Sybex. It's also much less page to read.
  • Options
    wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I could suggest Eric Conrad' CISSP Study Guide. It is the big brother of the 11th Hour book. I found it more straight to the point, than Sybex. It's also much less page to read.

Did you use that as your main source to pass? It’s like 400 pages seems skinny lol
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm using a combination of the Conrad book, the Sybex book, Cybrary, and FedVTE. I'll follow up all of that with the 11th Hour book at the end.
  • Options
    I am reading Sybex book and going to start watching videos on Cybrary.
  • Options
    ArridTatooineArridTatooine Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently using Sybex, Cybrary, Youtube and studynotesandtheory.com. At the end I will go through 11th hour book.

I agree with all of you Sybex is really dense book.
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another idea is skillset. The questions are all done by the members and some are better than others. I doubt they are the level of the actual test but they have a guarantee you'll pass if you get to 100% readiness or they pay for your retake. A couple of guys I work with were able to pass the CISSP using skillset. I'm not trusting skillset by itself so, I'm doing it now along with the Sybex book and Cybrary videos. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
  • Options
    Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GeekyChick wrote: »
    Another idea is skillset. The questions are all done by the members and some are better than others. I doubt they are the level of the actual test but they have a guarantee you'll pass if you get to 100% readiness or they pay for your retake. A couple of guys I work with were able to pass the CISSP using skillset. I'm not trusting skillset by itself so, I'm doing it now along with the Sybex book and Cybrary videos. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

For the CISSP i discourage Skillset, the questions tend to be technical and not managerial. also its not worth the $100 nor is the QA of the questions very good, your going to be spending a lot of time getting the 100% readiness score and those efforts should be spent on much more worthwile material.

personally I only used the 11th hour books and Boson simulator, that was enough to help me pass on the first try

Good Luck
  • Options
    anthonxanthonx Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

Is there a big difference between Sybex 7th ed against 8th ed? Like what are the new topics added in the latest edition?
    AnthonX
  • Options
    DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    anthonx wrote: »
    Hi All,

Is there a big difference between Sybex 7th ed against 8th ed? Like what are the new topics added in the latest edition?

There will be a slight change in content between the old and the new revisions. Most of the content will be the same e.g. networking. A good way is to compare against the exam outlines from ISC2's official website, otherwise the following link can provide additional information. The exam outline can be found on ISC2's official website. I always recommend studying against the new revision although that may differ among others in the security community.

https://cccure.training/m/articles/view/NEW-CISSP-CBK-version-is-coming-out-in-April-of-2018
  • Options
    Z0sickx wrote: »
    For the CISSP i discourage Skillset, the questions tend to be technical and not managerial. also its not worth the $100 nor is the QA of the questions very good, your going to be spending a lot of time getting the 100% readiness score and those efforts should be spent on much more worthwile material.

personally I only used the 11th hour books and Boson simulator, that was enough to help me pass on the first try

Good Luck

I went back-and-forth on that decision. I definitely wouldn't use Skillset by itself and I don't think the questions are at the level of the test. (You may be right about the lack of managerial type questions on Skillset.) I do think you could get to 100% readiness in ~2 months time and if you don't pass you get a free retake. Don't get me wrong, I don't plan on failing, but for $100/month ($200 total) that's not a bad guarantee. I wouldn't be using them if Transcender hadn't sold to Kaplan. I thought Transcender was a pretty good gauge of readiness but Kaplan I'm not so sure. I know there's Boson, but that's a long story.
  • Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would echo what some here has mentioned on the 11th Hour book as I used it as my main source or reference during review. I supplemented it with good ol' Google, Cybrary (hats off to Kelly) and CBT Nuggets videos, Sybex and Total Tester practice exams.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options
    sach2017sach2017 Member Posts: 16 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone please suggest and advise which one should I go for between Transcender and Boson. I have gone through the CISSP OG 7th Edition once and want to practice before appearing for the exam .

Many thanks!!!
  • Options
    sach2017 wrote: »
    Can anyone please suggest and advise which one should I go for between Transcender and Boson. I have gone through the CISSP OG 7th Edition once and want to practice before appearing for the exam .

Many thanks!!!

Transcender sold to Kaplan. Transcender was really good, but from what little I saw on Kaplan's tests it's not at the same level. So I think Boson is better or the practice test from the Sybex book are really good too.
  • Options
    Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GeekyChick wrote: »
    Transcender sold to Kaplan. Transcender was really good, but from what little I saw on Kaplan's tests it's not at the same level. So I think Boson is better or the practice test from the Sybex book are really good too.

+2 on Boson and if your in DoD you can get any study material from safaritextbooks
  • Options
    Has anybody used PocketPrep ? How is it ? They have App so its very easy to use it across my all devices. I read Sybex 7th edition book almost 70% but at the same time I feel like I need practice on questions and dont have much confidence.
    Boson or Skillset ?
  • Options
    willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    koolguy123 wrote: »
    Has anybody used PocketPrep ? How is it ? They have App so its very easy to use it across my all devices. I read Sybex 7th edition book almost 70% but at the same time I feel like I need practice on questions and dont have much confidence.
    Boson or Skillset ?

I used PocketPrep on my Android. It was useful in terms of getting a good understanding of terminology and concepts, but the questions are not representative of the actual test. I found the CCCure Questions to be closer.
  • Options
    cemen777cemen777 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    koolguy123 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've been reading on and off for CISSP exam but due to extended workload could not focus. Now, I am quite determine to crack this exam pretty fast. I've been reading Sybex 7th edition book but I feel like this book is too big as I am looking to give an exam in August 2018.
    I am thinking of reading / watching following book/ videos:

Cybrary CISSP
    11th hour

Any other book / practice exam recommendation pls ?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone can advice on (ISC)² CISSP Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide 8th Edition, Kindle Edition vs Paperback? Kindle Edition is mobile however does it have everything Paperback has?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Do you guys know if CCCure questions database has been updated with new CISSP 2018 structure ? I read the books and now want to start working on questions.
  • Options
    Any one can shed some light this pls !
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry, I can't answer about CCCure. It did help me 3+ years ago when prepping for SSCP.

Mike Meyers has create three courses that are essentially CISSP practice tests. It's three courses with four 125-question tests each. Check it out:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/isc-sscp-cissp/132787-mike-myers-total-seminars-practice-tests-udemy.html
  • Options
  • Options
    Hey guys,
    Do we expect to get only acronyms or the full name such as MAC - Mandatory Access Control , not just MAC.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    All acronyms are spelled out in the test.
  • Options
    Thanks mate.. It will make it easier to understand the question. I did Cybray test and it did not have spelled out so got bit scared.