Options

Chances of getting a network engineer role?

andrewfxandrewfx Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,
I'm currently a university student (UK) studying network computing, on a placement year working in a sys admin type role, I typically do a lot of work with Windows server, SANs and networking (mainly access switch stuff)

I got my CCNA R&S last September, and my ITIL Foundations a few days ago. I go back to uni in September for my final year - just wondering if anyone could suggest any other learning/certs I could focus on to give me a better chance of picking up a network engineer job when I graduate?

I'm not sure if I should start at my CCNP routing or maybe something like CCNA security or Sec+?
The graduate scheme I'm most interested in is a network engineer role at one of the biggest ISP's for the UK, on their job descriptions they state that they encourage graduates to take their CCNA whilst with the company (which I already have) so potentially they could put me through CCNP training if I were to get the job, so may be better to focus on something else short term?

Comments

• Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My key to network engineering was a ccna and willing to work graveyard over the weekends, for 6 months.
  • Options
    c5rookiec5rookie Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Having a security certification of some sort can come in handy. Depending on where you are working, it can tie in directly to the actual type of work you will be performing. A large company with a global presence could have some network engineers work on security ACLs and others working on creating new links with other remote sites. If it's a smaller company, you could be working with only one or two other people and you all need to be knowledgeable in everything. Personally I would look toward the 210-260 CCNA-Security exam. As you grow your experience you can tackle the 3 exams needed to get the CCNP.