Options

Practical Tests In Interviews

Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just had an interview yesterday for an IT Technician position with the job description below.
  • Basic network fault finding
  • Setup desktops and laptops
  • Basic mobile phone support
  • Support branches remotely
  • Printer setup and support
  • Install new network point
  • Make sure pc's do daily back-up
  • Software and hardware support
  • Setup wifi access points
They called me again for a second round of interview which will be a practical test and I have never been in practical test in an interview before so I was wondering if there are any TE members who have been in these type of interviews and if there are, can you please share your experience on this and also advice me on what to expect based on the job description listed above?

Comments

• Options
    scadascada Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It can’t be too hard looking at the PD listed there. Maybe just “ set this printer/ network device up” how to do a tech refresh and perhaps looking at some ping results with trace rt ..
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I had an interview at a School District main office, and their practical test for me was to configure Group Policy and NTFS/Share permissions on a test lab with VMs. I ran out of time on the permissions because I had driven 400 miles overnight for the interview, and was exhausted. Needless to say I got the "thanks, no thanks" email later that day.

For endpoint support based on your description, they might have you do something with a single system after it's imaged, like making sure all the drivers are installed and mapping some printers or other devices. I wouldn't expect anything too difficult.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yep, when I worked for MSP we had a PC with all kinds of hardware issues wrong with it, like hard drive power barely unplugged or jumpers set as secondary drive or hard drive cable flipped (yeah long time ago) among other things...I think the last interview I had with a local hospital had something similar but it was a laptop & they wanted me to know some Outlook PST stuff, how to setup Windows VPN connection, some DOS commands (netstat, ipconfig, wildcards, etc), basically basic stuff...I think it should be done for most interviews, that way it weeds out the inexperienced...good luck on your interview!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□