Options

Passed CCENT with 875

johndabomb44johndabomb44 Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
I want to thank anyone and everyone on this website. A lot of your advice goes into what I use for studying and things to look out for per each certification. So again, thank you all.

I took the ICND1 today (first time) and passed. Some advice and thoughts to pass on:

1. These are not like CompTIA tests. You DO NOT get to save questions or review them. Whatever you get hit with first, you have to deal with right then and there. Because you might or might not be hit with labs immediately, you need to make absolutely sure you're doing the lab work on top of learning about networking and Cisco as well.

2. If you get a lab with a terminal, it might or might not have a full working IOS. You might know a shortcut command that could answer the question(s) posed to you on the lab but the command could get rejected. Make sure you understand multiple commands that can get you the same information as a shortcut command.

3. I felt that the multiple choice questions were more straightforward and actually easier than CompTIA. Take that as you will.

Study materials I used:

1. CCENT ICND1 Study Guide: Exam 100-105, 3rd Edition by Todd Lammle: Absolutely one of the best study guides I have ever read. Todd treats users of this book as if they have absolutely no network experience (certainly for Cisco) and walks through 100% of the exam objectives. Part of the book is using either Packet Tracer of LammleOS to do the labs in the book and he walks you through what you are doing, why, and how it works in detail. I did all the book had to offer (labs, end of chapter tests, flashcards, practice exams) and came out fine my first try.

2. Cisco Packet Tracer: You might or might not quantify this as "study material" but I used it to build all the labs from the book and even create my own simulations and networks once I got through a ton of the book.

Again, thank you all for your words and support.

Comments

• Options
    NiTech-5NiTech-5 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, and thanks for the advice. I hope to prepare for CCENT after Security+ (I don't plan to take the Net+...maybe just skim over it).
    • Education: BA; MA (a concentration in Cyber/IT Risk Management); Later: MS in Cybersecurity @ WGU, 2020
    • Certs in Progress: Security+ Sy0-501 (late-August or early Sept 2018 )
    • Late 2018/ Early 2019 Goals: CCENT then CCNA Security
    • Self-Taught Programming: Python; SQL (basic)
  • Options
    averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Super cool! Congrats!!
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    MustafaITMustafaIT Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats , don't wait too long for CCNA
  • Options
    thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NiTech-5 wrote: »
    Congrats, and thanks for the advice. I hope to prepare for CCENT after Security+ (I don't plan to take the Net+...maybe just skim over it).

That was the same path of certs I took starting out.

To the OP, congrats, and good point on limited IOS commands being available in simulations. I remember running into that issue, too.
    2019 Goals: CCNP R&S
  • Options
    TheComputerPlumberTheComputerPlumber Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello All I just passed my Sec+ exam today and I'm thinking of going into ccent training to pursue the ccna. How long did you have to study for give or take to past the ccent exam? I currently hold A+, Net+, Sec+. Thanks in advanced
  • Options
    johndabomb44johndabomb44 Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe I spent roughly 2 months on CCENT.

If you have a Net+, it will be a lot easier to slide into Cisco IOS as you already (should) understand networking principles and technologies. I think there were about 14 chapters in the book I referenced for CCENT and the first 5 chapters are all the same as covered in Net+. DON'T SKIP IT THOUGH! Cisco has their own definitions and words that are different from CompTIA and they have their own "Cisco-way" of doing things.

tl;dr: You can skip the networking fundametals and jump to the IOS learning if you want.
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    TheComputerPlumberTheComputerPlumber Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe I spent roughly 2 months on CCENT.

If you have a Net+, it will be a lot easier to slide into Cisco IOS as you already (should) understand networking principles and technologies. I think there were about 14 chapters in the book I referenced for CCENT and the first 5 chapters are all the same as covered in Net+. DON'T SKIP IT THOUGH! Cisco has their own definitions and words that are different from CompTIA and they have their own "Cisco-way" of doing things.

tl;dr: You can skip the networking fundametals and jump to the IOS learning if you want.

Awesome thanks for your feedback. I just bought Todd Lammle ICND1 v3 book I’m 3 pages away from first chapter great book. My question to is did you use PT or LammleOS for your labs I am experienced using PT I did the whole PT training on Netcad. Could I just use PT? Or should I use both?
  • Options
    EliudEliud Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    awesome!! im studying for the CCENT right now, just got Lammle's book so that was a great decision.