Options

Is it too late to be NETWORK ENGINEER ?

MustafaITMustafaIT Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
HI
I am working in IT for two years , I have CCNA , but I don't have experience in networking and I really want to be a network engineer. Any recommendation or tips for motivation , I am almost 31 years old and I am worried if I won't have opportunities in networking .

What is the best School , training material that can make me learn fast and get experience

Please any advice will be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    It is never too late and plus you are still young.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like scaredoftests said, you will never be too old...I don't care if you're 60. If you enjoy it, work hard, study for marketable certs, and network with people...you'll get there.
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

• Options
    scadascada Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try working in a IP NOC then after a year or so jump after you have CCNP.

You are only 31.. lots of time.

Experience wise the NOC would probably be the best for you. Unless you can pick up a jr. Network ENG position.

• Options
    Thank you Scada .. Will try hard to get more cert and find NOC job
  • Options
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    31 and don't have your dream job yet?? What have you been doing!?!?

Joking... I'm about your age and find it a little funny you think you might be too young to do almost anything.

Build a lab if you haven't and get into some local networking/IT groups. Can move up quickly if you got the time and ambition to put in the work. The fact you have your CCNA and have a job in IT your ahead of most people (even at 31). I know there are people on the networking team at my work who don't have their CCNA...
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just got to be willing to put the hard work in and be patient. A lot of good advice in this thread.
  • Options
    TheComputerPlumberTheComputerPlumber Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MustafaIT wrote: »
    HI
    I am working in IT for two years , I have CCNA , but I don't have experience in networking and I really want to be a network engineer. Any recommendation or tips for motivation , I am almost 31 years old and I am worried if I won't have opportunities in networking .

What is the best School , training material that can make me learn fast and get experience

Please any advice will be appreciated

**** I'm 35 and one thing is I dont even have my CCNA that's on my list as well as being a Network Engineer. I recently got my A+ about 4 years ago that was my first cert of my life then I followed with the Net+ I went from working in a data center as a Software Engineer Support Technician at Directv to working as a Computer Support Technician role helping staff/customers in a Career Center environment for people unemployed. I troubleshoot the computer issues customers and staff have like Help Desk role. I just took the SY0-401 exam today and failed for the second time. Good thing I have another retake. I think next I will purse CCNA is it worth getting CCENT before CCNA? Will it make CCNA exam easier for me. Not sure where your located But I'm in Los Angeles and having your CCNA pays very well out here. I recommend you start out with building labs and troubleshooting them to keep your memory in tact how to troubleshoot. Also try looking for positions at non profit organizations to gain experience. I met a guy about 30 years at the test center when I went for my A+ he was going for his CCNA working at the Goodwill and was COMPTIA certified with A+ and Net+ and he was making good money. He stated he started with no experience and the computer was paying for his certs. Don't give up man not matter how old you are!
  • Options
    TheComputerPlumberTheComputerPlumber Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My Bad just saw your located in MI. Look for NOC tech jobs like NetworkNewb mentioned also if no luck there get some sort of IT entry-level position to gain experience on your resume and either move up within the company and put your CCNA to use or gain experience for a couple to a few years and move else where with the experience you've gained.
  • Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most people will tell you it's never too late................and I'll go ahead and tell you the same thing. It's never too late. :D
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started my career in Networking in 2012, after spending nearly 11 years in the Military as a Aircrew Survival Equipmentman. I was 30 when I left service. 6 years later I’m a Senior Security Engineer for a Fortune 500 company

No such thing as too late, always study, push yourself to go deeper, don’t be afraid of new technology...embrace it. Don’t be afraid of cross training in tech, having virtualization experience and networking experience is pretty much peanut butter and jelly combo.

Be smart about where you apply, make a job decision based on where you want your career to go first. RESUME...I cannot stress this enough, it is your first impression, either have a professional review it or find samples of good resumes and build around it.

Don’t be afraid to take a NOC job they are plentiful and you will get plenty of experience. Most NOC positions require a CCNA and a pulse.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is never too late and plus you are still young.

Agree. It will only be too late if you think so.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The obvious is already being stated icon_smile.gif I'll try saying something new :

Try making a short list of organizations (businesses and government) within an hour commute that you would like to be a network engineer at. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    NiTech-5NiTech-5 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently in a coffee shop near an old man with one of those ExamCram books for CompTIA Network+. He looks like he's in his late 50s or early 60s. Never too late lol.
    • Education: BA; MA (a concentration in Cyber/IT Risk Management); Later: MS in Cybersecurity @ WGU, 2020
    • Certs in Progress: Security+ Sy0-501 (late-August or early Sept 2018 )
    • Late 2018/ Early 2019 Goals: CCENT then CCNA Security
    • Self-Taught Programming: Python; SQL (basic)
  • Options
    Guys , I deeply appreciate every single word you have written . your feedback gives me a big motivation . Thank you
    I am going forward then with more effort and motivation this time....