Options

How much practical work is involved?

si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
I just passed the Sec+ with a miserable 752 (needed 750 to pass). There was literally no practical work to do, hence why my revision was non-existent and I scraped it. Is the Network+ practical? I need a course where i'll actually be on a box configuring bits and pieces. I don't want to just read text and answer multiple choice questions.

Thanks all

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Red Hat exams are practical. Some SANS/GIAC exams have a practical part, but they are pricey.

Overall, not that many hands on exams exist because multiple choice is cheap and usually gets the job done.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    si20 wrote: »
    I just passed the Sec+ with a miserable 752 (needed 750 to pass). There was literally no practical work to do, hence why my revision was non-existent and I scraped it. Is the Network+ practical? I need a course where i'll actually be on a box configuring bits and pieces. I don't want to just read text and answer multiple choice questions.

Thanks all
    I hear the CCIE has a good bit of practical on it...
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks like CEH has a practical now too.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    duta74duta74 Member Posts: 143 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All Red Hat exams
    LFCS, LFCE
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think OP is referring specifically to the exam being hands on.

If you're looking for a hands on networking cert, do the CCNA R&S. I saw you didn't like the amount of acronyms in Sec+. I don't think it'd be an exaggeration to say that there are 3 times as many in Net+.

CCNA requires lots of labbing, and the exams have simulation portions too. I'm currently working on ICND2 myself and at least half the book is configs.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for all the replies. You're right I'm not too fussed if the exam isn't practical but I want some labbing through the course. That sinks into my brain way better than reading endless paragraphs.

I'm going to look into the CEH or CCNA. Quite a big chance I'll go with the CEH because I may be able to get funding from my workplace for that one.