Options

More infra positions asking for programming knowledge

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm looking for another position and I'm surprised how many job listings have Java, PHP, C++, etc. knowledge required for otherwise a traditional systems position (cloud, vmware, linux, windows, etc.). This kind of makes some sense in smaller companies that try to fill a large hole with one person but even enterprises are listing it. With all the software defined infra taking off will this be a growing trend? Will infra guys in the future need to know how to code to stay relevant?
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Traditional infra jobs are quickly going away, its all about DevOps these days...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    I agree and see Puppet, Chef, Ansible on the majority of listings. I'm very light on DevOps experience but what does Java, .net, PHP, etc. have to do with DevOps?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    techie2018techie2018 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most Devops positions expect you to be able to code somewhat. Most don't expect you to be a senior developer but for a windows admin it is expected you know powershell and maybve some python. For a linux admin it is expected you know how to shell script and again maybe some python.

If you don't know ANY scripting and/or programming then you really aren't a high level systems admin or systems engineer. But yeah asking for 3 or 4 programming languages maybe a bit much. And again for 90% of the devops roles if you just know scripting(powershell, bash, etc) and python(which is pretty easy to pick up, its why it's the language of choice for most systems admins/engineers) you have enough to get hired.
  • Options
    I have powershell, bash, python experience yet am turned down because I don't also know Java in 2 positions, PHP for 1 position. These are 3 fortune 500 companies. Today a guy told me the goal in 5 years is to have developers manage the systems and networks. Which is why they're looking for multi-faceted employees now. It might be time for me to consider another career.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    I have powershell, bash, python experience yet am turned down because I don't also know Java in 2 positions, PHP for 1 position. These are 3 fortune 500 companies. Today a guy told me the goal in 5 years is to have developers manage the systems and networks. Which is why they're looking for multi-faceted employees now. It might be time for me to consider another career.
    Now that' odd. Scripting and python I totally get, but I don't think I know any systems staff who use Java or PHP.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Apparently I might have to re-learn JAVA at my position to help build AD connectors into our IAM system we might be getting... Took a few JAVA classes in college and think it could be fun to get back into some programming.