Options

What's the most stressful industry for IT work?

theitprotheitpro Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I hear a lot of stress working at a MSP, maybe financial industry. Thoughts? On the flip side, what's the least stressful? Public/non-profit organizations?

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    It will all depend on your direct manager, they can stress you out even if there is nothing to do, but industry wise, I found MSP/Service Providers to be the most stressful. It was more stressful than the financial industry for me anyway
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Day traders, financial.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've always heard financial sector was the most stressful. Especially when outages occurred, every second the systems were down meant lost money. From what I've heard it was even more stressful than military sector where failing to do the job or restoring outages can mean lost lives.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I would say MSP. I've worked in DoD, Defence, Federal, Financial and found the MSP to be the most stressful. I was doing Tier 3 VoIP support at the time and we would just have problem after problem. The MSP model is to just staff enough people that they are working a full 8 hours and charging as much as they can get from the customer. Often times the MSP bids for work and the lowest cost wins. Quality is just one of those things that I've seen escape most places in IT.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed, MSP's!

Now, if you are young (in your 20's), and a go getter, an MSP is an excellent way to gain valuable experience though. However, I won't work at another one.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MSP. I've been a lot to financial, MSP/MSSP and healthcare.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MSP generally are chop shops, meat grinders. It's all about sales and billable hours, staff utilization.

Managing claims system on the health care side is a really close second.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    It will all depend on your direct manager

That's accurate from my experience. If you have a good manager that shields you from the stresses raining down from upper management you're golden. If you have a boss that doesn't shield you or just adds to the stress any job can be a nightmare.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's accurate from my experience. If you have a good manager that shields you from the stresses raining down from upper management you're golden. If you have a boss that doesn't shield you or just adds to the stress any job can be a nightmare.

Definitely true, there is a huge difference between a boss and a leader.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    MSP can be tough due to grinding and also cost cutting if you get a cheap MSP. The other would be hedge funds as they seem to tolerate next to no downtime.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    jwdk19jwdk19 Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've worked in DoD, construction, healthcare, k12 and university IT departments. Currently in industrial manufacturing. IMO industrial IT by far.
  • Options
    DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I agree with most folks on the board: MSPs. I currently work in the financial sector but since I am in more of the senior position I don't see as much as the stress probably as a tier 1 help desk would. I've heard horror stress stories from a former coworker who use to work under lawyers and that ain't a pretty sight either.