Options

Well I've burned out

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well after doing certifications for 6 years (started in 2012 with A+) I am starting to burn out from certifications and I am starting to no longer enjoy the process but find it as a chore than anything else! I feel like i've done the important certifications I need for my career and the other ones won't do my any good or they will look bad without proper experience. (Ex: CCNP with no networking experience as I work in security) or I have no interest in the other certification tracks. After 2018, I am going to only pursue 3 certifications and I need to focus more on the social aspect of life. I've been neglecting that part of my life which sucks but it is time for a healthy change! Looking forward to this year to be over and have these exams passed then I'm taking a break next year!! :)

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For me, it's a wave. I'll study for a year or three then the desire wanes and I go after something else. If you've been working on self-improvement for a while and are in a position to take a break, do so. Take a year off and do something non-tech related in your spare time.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    yeah, duder...you have a buttload of certs...you should be making bank! $$$$$$$
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    shochan wrote: »
    yeah, duder...you have a buttload of certs...you should be making bank! $$$$$$$

Yeap, dude has a bunch of certs, but in my opinion it's better to specialize and go after one expert level cert. One CCIE is better than 20 low/mid level certs.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well after doing certifications for 6 years (started in 2012 with A+) I am starting to burn out from certifications and I am starting to no longer enjoy the process but find it as a chore than anything else! I feel like i've done the important certifications I need for my career and the other ones won't do my any good or they will look bad without proper experience. (Ex: CCNP with no networking experience as I work in security) or I have no interest in the other certification tracks. After 2018, I am going to only pursue 3 certifications and I need to focus more on the social aspect of life. I've been neglecting that part of my life which sucks but it is time for a healthy change! Looking forward to this year to be over and have these exams passed then I'm taking a break next year!! :)

I’m right there with you dude after I finish the MCSE I’m focusing my energy outside of the IT realm a bit!! I’m beyond burned out... It is good to branch out and explore other areas of life outside the career. It can open up your perspective and give you a much needed rest.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I haven't sacrificed my social life, but told myself I would slow down on certs to focus on other studies (Dutch, Python, machine learning). Even if I'm not working on a certification I'm in a continuous study mode. Whenever I feel cert burnout I end up reading for leisure, watching TED talks, and binge watching a series on Netflix at the request of the Mrs.

I got my first cert (A+) in 2005, but took huge breaks between pursuing other certs. After doing CCNA in 2010 I was on a cert hiatus for three years. During that time I got married and had our first son. But since 2013 I've just hit a stride and have been knocking them out starting with CCNA/P Security then moving on to the certs you see to the left. Currently working on GPEN with no other cert goals for 2018, but I'm sure I'll pursue more in 2019 if my employer is still footing the bill.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    After a while it becomes sooooooooooo old.......

My focus is my son, he is really in to computing and it's time to pass some of this along......
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I feel like i've done the important certifications I need for my career and the other ones won't do my any good or they will look bad without proper experience.
    Once you reach a certain point, it is no longer about getting anything and everything under the sun. Depending on the position you are currently in and based on what you already have, the CISSP is the only certification I would say that you MUST get in the near future. At 6 years, you really should be starting to specialize if you haven't in 1-3 areas...compared to early in a career, most people want to be generalists to see what areas they like the most.

Even looking at your goals in your signature, you have 8 certifications listed for 2018, 5 for 2019, and 1+ for 2020......that is just insanity. Not only are you burning money in a generalist fashion, the topics are all over the spectrum. If anything I would strive for 1-2 per year at most, and then use the rest of the time to make sure you know those topics really well and to brush up on other related topics like automation. One last assumption based on your certifications you list, I would stop listing certifications like A+/Network+/etc. that are entry and hold little to no weight mid-career (I am hoping you don't have all of those on your resume)....strip it down to what is relevant. To the wrong person, having all of the certifications listed could come off as a "know-it-all."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for your support!! @TechGuru80, I've decided to specialize in Penetration testing/Red teaming!! I am doing some resume re-vamping now as I have 3 years of work experience in security (still young in career). The other certifications like A+ and Network+ are planning on being removed from my resume along with some other minor ones. The CISSP is really the last certification I have planned to balance out my security/networking certifications along with some of the other ones I have planned like GXPN, GWAPT etc.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel like i've done the important certifications I need for my career and the other ones won't do my any good or they will look bad without proper experience.

I've decided to specialize in Penetration testing/Red teaming!!.
    Given that you have done the important certs, I suggest you focus on your end goal which is red teaming/pen testing. Get that OSCP!
    2018: E|CSP,CCNA-Security,CSA+,CAST 611,GWAPT,GNFA,CCNA Cyber Ops,GXPN
    2019: CCSK,CISSP,GREM,GAWN,CWNA
    2020: LPIC-2,eLearnSecurity Courses
    To this end, you may want to focus on red teaming certs only; i.e. the GWAPT, GXPN... and eLS courses. I do not see how certs such as E|CSP, CCNA-Security, CSA+ helps when you should be polishing your pen testing skills.

As you know, OSCP is not a MCQ exam, and you need the practice. Try hacking VMs at VulnHub or HackTheBox, do the eLS pen testing labs or attend courses at Pentester Academy; you learn more spending nights hacking those boxes than reading an exam guide. If your interest is really in pen testing, you will find the time spend hacking VMs fun and rejuvenating. :) Also join the Discord channel if you have not, the folks there will motivate you. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2018: OSCP
    2019: OSCE
    2020: Learn foreign language, hang gliding, etc

There. FTFY.
    2019 Goals: CCNP R&S
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    As TE usually delivers, lots of great points made. I agree with Mike and thedudeabides. I personally would knock out the CISSP because resume filter/gatekeeper, but then focus on OSCP, OSCE and other pentesting stuff.

I feel you on being burned out, but like EANx mine also comes also comes in waves, although mine is more random. But I've noticed the periods in which my desire/motivation/drive to pursue certs is low or non-existent have been getting longer. It's probably a side effect of having been in school non-stop since 2002 (finishing my MS Cybersecurity next month), having obtained the certs that I do have, as well as having accomplished my salary targets. Like E Double U, I will always be studying something, even if it's just to stay current on technology, or learn something new. The one thing I can say is that I'm completely over multiple choice, remember random facts exams. Practical and hands on stuff (like OSCP) is what I'm after.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    mikey88 wrote: »
    .... One CCIE is better than 20 low/mid level certs.

this 100%
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The key for me is doing interesting certs. If the cert is boring (i.e. CCNA) it becomes a nightmare to prepare for it despite its relative simplicity, but if it's exciting (GREM) I breeze through it despite it being hard.

It's tough when you get paid for doing work that is boring. Same with certs.

It's a blessing when you work and study for something you are excited about.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    gespenstern, that holds true for me too. I tried and tried and eventually gave up with the PMP. Way too boring. Same with CCSP (even though I'd still like to get it). Now the pentesting and hacking stuff, I can sit and do that all day.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep, I feel the same about ITIL. I have the cert now, after failing it twice years ago when my previous employer paid for it but I took it again with my current employer and passed last year. But I find it so boring.

I guess it helped because I was studying for my MCSA at the sametime so I used the same studying method to push through ITIL.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    johndabomb44johndabomb44 Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    *Looks at certifications of kMastaFlash*

• Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Now the pentesting and hacking stuff, I can sit and do that all day.

Well said... icon_cool.gif