Options

Taking Security+ on the 9th [PASSED, thread updated]

Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
Hello everyone, I finally scheduled my exam for the 9th (originally the 24th, but thought that was too long a wait). I would like to thank everyone on this forum that helped me out by answering my questions, and most importantly Johan and the webmasters for the wonderful Technotes, all of this was beneficial to my preparation.

I used the following study materials, in the order provided:
Mike Meyers' Passport, as a rough "primer," if you will
Exam Cram 2, I thought it was pretty good
Tcat's Guide (online version)
Read over some of the Sybex book
Will be going over the Syngress book (should be coming tomorrow)
Technotes
Practice exams on multiple web sites, as well as the guides from Cramsession study guide and the Mega Guide from Preplogic.

Needless to say, I am extremely nervous, mostly due to what I have read on the forums. I will definately be ready for the second shot. I will be going into intensive review mode until the 9th, and will report back then. Once again, thank you.
Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University

Comments

• Options
    mqchaumqchau Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Goodluck on your exam. You should do fine as long as you studied the books like you said you did. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    qazxswedcqazxswedc Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck VZIV on your exam. Remember, Try to have positive thoughts and stay calm during the test, because being nervous won't help. I know, easier said then done, but at least try.

P.S
    Let us know how you did.
    sacrifice=results=success=happiness
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    please let us know how it goes. I plan on taking this test soon. Probably a month or two from now.
  • Options
    I just got back from passing the Security+ exam. Here is my take on the exam: I believe that this is an entirely fair exam. CompTIA isn't going to try to trick you or anything, if you know your material, you will pass. The exam was not too difficult, however you must study as much as you possibly can. The passing score is very high, as many of you know.

As opposed to what many say, I DID NOT believe this exam was poorly worded. There was one question that was very poorly written, but other than this, the exam was perfect. I believe it covers all objectives evenly, so make sure you know everything. I stated the materials I used on the first post on this thread.

I am 16 and my only other certification is A+, so do not believe that you must be some sort of network administrator or security analyst to pass this exam. Study, study, study, and you should have no problem.

Good luck to anyone wishing to take this exam.
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Vask3n wrote:
    I just got back from passing the Security+ exam. Here is my take on the exam: I believe that this is an entirely fair exam. CompTIA isn't going to try to trick you or anything, if you know your material, you will pass. The exam was not too difficult, however you must study as much as you possibly can. The passing score is very high, as many of you know.

As opposed to what many say, I DID NOT believe this exam was poorly worded. There was one question that was very poorly written, but other than this, the exam was perfect. I believe it covers all objectives evenly, so make sure you know everything. I stated the materials I used on the first post on this thread.

I am 16 and my only other certification is A+, so do not believe that you must be some sort of network administrator or security analyst to pass this exam. Study, study, study, and you should have no problem.

Good luck to anyone wishing to take this exam.
    congrats

You're only 16? Why not just focus on school for now?
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    I am, I just study for certs in my spare time, an hour here, and hour there, if I have time on weekends, breaks, etc..
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Vask3n wrote:
    I am, I just study for certs in my spare time, an hour here, and hour there, if I have time on weekends, breaks, etc..
    Its great that you have drive, my friend. But, you need to go out and enjoy this time in your life. It will be gone faster than you will know.

Don't spend too much free time on this. You will have plenty of time later.

Grats on the pass.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    Thanks, good luck to everyone else. I think I'm going to go out and get some fresh air icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!

If I knew then what you know now.... icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats, Vask3n!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    jstrongjstrong Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dont knock the 16 year old because he/she is learning I wish that I had started learning this stuff when I was 16
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    Congratulations! So, what's next?
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    qazxswedcqazxswedc Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey, i'm not that much older than you, i'm 19,i was 18 when i passed my a+ and n+, but hey, age doesn't matter, what matters is if you got what it takes to conquer your dreams, so let me congratulate you on your pass. icon_wink.gif
    sacrifice=results=success=happiness
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Please let me know if there's anything I can help you with, as far as the exam goes. I didn't feel as though this exam was NEARLY as hard has everyone says.
  • Options
    sunnysysadmsunnysysadm Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your pass...I am planning on taking the exam sometime the end of this month if I feel prepared. Did you encounter alot of questions regarding port numbers or anything tricky in the way of cryptography ?

Thanks,
    Sunny
  • Options
    Hate to put put a damper on things....but yes and yes!. I actually DID encounter several questions on ports, and several questions on cryptography...I believe the ones on cryptography were the ones I missed, because the one question I mentioned as being worded poorly was on cryptography. As far as I know, don't worry about the difference between UDP and TCP ports, they will simply be asking for the number.

Good luck sunny!