And this is why I hate ALL recruiters

124»

Comments

• MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I keep on getting recruiters contacting me for Oracle Developer jobs. My resume has 5+ years system administration experience except for a short project I did as an Oracle Developer for 6 months. The funny part is all the jobs they call me for are located more than 8 hours driving from where I am located. I have no interest in being an Oracle Developer for my career.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    I don't know about you guys but I've had really good luck with recruiters who are local to me.

Same here. Not all of them, but many who are networked in the local market, are invested in having a solid reputation, and have actual relationships with hiring managers are well regarded by most. They are, at the end of the day, still salespeople, though, and not your friend.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Oh Prajesh from Artech. I am not a chemist and am definitely not looking to move 5 hours away to a god forsaken wasteland in Kansas to do a 12 month contract for a position I'm no where near qualified to do because it's in a completely different field of work than I'm in.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another problem with a recruiter not being local to me is that I'm getting bombarded with emails, calls, and text messages regarding jobs that are in California but nowhere near me. These recruiters should probably look at a map before blowing up your phone. Note to recruiters: California is a very very very big state.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I received an email last night, to my work email no less, reminding me that I had a phone interview with a recruiter...for a recruiter position. Let's see...I am an IT instructor, not a talent representative.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm getting more picky when working with recruiters.

1)
    If the position doesn't line up with my career goals, then I really need to think about the position. I met a person in IT that gave me that nugget of advice.
    Always take a position that will move you closer to your career goal, not unless you really need the money.

2)
    If they have a role that's only weekends, then I'm out.

3)
    The position has no end date, or is not contract to hire. The position could go on for eternity.
    I'm probably out on this one too.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm getting more picky when working with recruiters.

1)
    If the position doesn't line up with my career goals, then I really need to think about the position. I met a person in IT that gave me that nugget of advice.
    Always take a position that will move you closer to your career goal, not unless you really need the money.

2)
    If they have a role that's only weekends, then I'm out.

3)
    The position has no end date, or is not contract to hire. The position could go on for eternity.
    I'm probably out on this one too.

I've taken a job in the past with no end date unless it was end of contract but that wasn't known when. The job was complete hell and management were amongst the most degrading ones I've ever worked for. They will always cater towards the client and treat you the contractor as 2nd class citizens. Now a days I'm looking for contract to hire or direct hire if I were to work for a recruiter again unless it's I really need the money than I really can't be picking and choosing.
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hate recruiters. After spending some time looking around for various roles and 'making myself available' on LinkedIn and various recruitment sites, I can honestly say that I am sick and tired of all these calls offering me a 'fantastic opportunity'.

Every call literally starts with 'I've come across your CV online and thought his position might be of interest blah blah'. The problem I have is if I say no because the job doesn't sound appealing at all, they will literally try and sell it to me for the next 10 minutes. "Are you sure?"... "How about I put your details forward?"... "What if you speak to the company"... NO! Stop selling this to me!! They are literally just like salesman and only care about the commission they get.

With my current job they actually had an internal recruitment team who works for the same company which I found to be so much better.

Exactly all recruiters are used car sales people and how much do you trust a used car sales person? Some of them can get really aggressive to the point of stalking you so becareful and report them accordingly (police, there management, etc).
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh Prajesh from Artech. I am not a chemist and am definitely not looking to move 5 hours away to a god forsaken wasteland in Kansas to do a 12 month contract for a position I'm no where near qualified to do because it's in a completely different field of work than I'm in.

A couple of years back I got hired for a DoD position. I got the inside scoop afterwards that they had seen my resume before that and had wanted to hire me, but they were unwilling to do business with Artech based on their past business practices. I guess Artech is considered too sleazy even for some hiring companies.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP