Options

Applying for Jobs internationally is hell

FadakartelFadakartel Member Posts: 144
Hey guys,

Has anyone tried to apply for IT jobs outside of their country?

I live in the Caribbean and applying for jobs anywhere (except Canada but you need to go via the express entry route) Is very hard I`ve used HAYS recruitment, indeed, DICE, Linkedin everything but no one seems to want to give VISA sponsorship sigh.

My background is a network engineer with about 4 years experience in ISP.

Comments

• Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    LOL welcome to the world. I'm in a very similar situation, I've been wanting to work in GCC countries and as you point out, companies are less willing, or less able, to sponsor work visas. I've been told to my face on more than one occasion that I was more than qualified and if I didn't need to be sponsored the job would be mine. These same employers also complain the lack of skilled workers to fill jobs, unsurprisingly.
    I've even contacted by employers in Europe who hoped I wouldn't need a work permit because they like my background. One even said to me that if I was an unskilled welfare-draining immigrant, I would have a far easier time getting legal residence in Europe than a degreed experience professional.

Ordinarily one of the best ways to get an international job is to be assigned there by a multinational company. If one is employed by, just using an example, Cisco, it becomes far easier for Cisco to then assign that employee to Europe or Asia, than for Cisco to sponsor the same employee.

All I can suggest is be persistent, always be going over your CV, and look for examples of accomplishments that made a positive impact at your work. Even better if you can quantify the impact. At the least, you stand out as someone who gets things done, and not in the sea of CVs that simply cut and paste the job description.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've tried, succeeded, and made a thread about it called Made the big move from Southern California to The Netherlands.

Persistence is definitely key, but having the skills employers want also helps :)
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ive started looking for jobs in Germany and Switerland from here in the UK. Once Ive passed my last two Microsoft by Septemer I will start applying.

Might be easier for me now but I want to be out of the UK by the end of this year before things change in March 2019.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    E Double U wrote: »
    I've tried, succeeded, and made a thread about it called Made the big move from Southern California to The Netherlands.

Persistence is definitely key, but having the skills employers want also helps :)

It helps even more if you have the skills they want that they can't find in their own country :D
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    E Double U wrote: »

100% icon_lol.gif

Props for making it!