Options

Resume and Cover Letter

bowmattybowmatty Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Is anybody willing to word my resume and cover letter.

Im looking at getting into the IT network workforce and would like an experienced person to edit my resume accordingly.

Will pay...

Comments

• Options
    johndoeejohndoee Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bowmatty wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Is anybody willing to word my resume and cover letter.

Im looking at getting into the IT network workforce and would like an experienced person to edit my resume accordingly.

Will pay...

Send me $3,500 US Dollars and I will see what I can do..
  • Options
    Sheiko37Sheiko37 Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    just anonymise it and post.
  • Options
    Below it job role. Just messy and not professional, please work your magic :)

o Using software such as SimPro (cloud management software) to access and resolve client issues.
    o Assisting Telecommunications Technicians with the installation, configuration of Samsung PBX systems, VoIP technologies and IP telephony.
    o Setting up new customer systems
    o Relocation of existing systems
    o Maintaining Samsung PBX systems
    o Call and ring plans
    o DID ringing
    o Call forwarding
    o Licence upgrades
    o Setting up voicemail
    o Programming, configuring, and troubleshooting network connectivity and wireless access for Local and remote PBX systems
    o VPN access
    o RDP access
    o Team Viewer
    o DNS addresses
    o Static IP addressing
    o The use of Command line
    o Ipconfig
    o Trace routes
    o ARP
    o NetStat
    o Ping
    o Diskpart
    o Installation and relocation of network peripherals
    o Relocation of routers, switches
    o Cat 5 Cabling.
    o Local IT support
    o Issuing and repairing hardware.
    o Office 365
    o Cable management .
  • Options
    • The use of ITIL (incident. Problem, change and configuration management) to
    resolve end user issues via ServiceNow.
    • Assisting users with the installation, configuration and ongoing desktops,
    equipment and software.
    • Setting up new users
    • Building Engineer, Designer and CAD specified machines
    • Configure, test, and troubleshoot network connectivity and wireless access for
    local and remote computers or devices
    - VPN access
    - RDP access
    - 4G wireless devices
    • Active Directory
    - Enable/ disable user accounts
    - Creating security groups
    - Assigning security permissions
    - Distribution lists
    • Microsoft Exchange & Office365
    - User mailboxes, meeting rooms
    - User and mailbox permissions
    - Configuring SMTP/ SIP addresses
    - O365 Licensing
    • The use of PowerShell
    - Migrating users over from BTOC to O365
    - Create mailboxes
    - Assigning user permissions
    • Maintaining phone systems via the Cisco Unified Admin Portal
    - User settings
    - Voicemail setup
    - Configuring phone numbers
    • Installation and relocation of network peripherals
    - Relocation of network switches
    - Cable patching
    - WAP installations
  • Options
    johndoeejohndoee Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The people that hate seeing bullets on a resume will be here in a few hours to talk about those.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Are you kidding me? Get rid of the bullets. It just shows laziness. Write a few paragraphs of what you do. How many users did you support? When you used PowerShell, what did you do? ETC. Ugh, I need a drink already..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ditto, get rid of the bullets, write in complete sentences. If you have more than 3-4 bullets, you have enough to write with.

Hard to tell what's appropriate when we don't know the level of role you're going for.

You're going to list "ping", "static IP addressing" and "ARP" as skills? Really? Get rid of the fluff.
  • Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interesting....here in the UK and Europe we are encourged to use bullet points because recuriters dont want to see a giant page of words.

I was told this about my CV/Resume from a recruiter.

You should consider using a few more bullet points to increase the impact to the employer. If employers see too many long sections of text, they might find it difficult to zero in on the most crucial information. The size and type of bullets should also be taken into account. Although seemingly minor, the visual impact of a CV is the key to ensuring that an employer will read it thoroughly.

Must be different for you all in the Amercian regions.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A well written resume has neither a wall of text or a wall of bullets. It's hard to find applicable data in either. Bullets have their place and are really good at punctuating important things. But when everything is important, nothing is. I've hired in Europe (not the UK), the key isn't the location, it's ensuring the hiring manager can easily read the resume, which a wall of bullets makes difficult.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Ugh! The one and only purpose, by definition, of a bullet is to highlight particular items of interest. Guess what happes when you bullet everything. Absolutely nothing stands out. If that works in some countries, that’s another story.

In the example above, nothing is achieved by bulleting such basic things as ping, arp, etc.

OP, the way we work here is empowering people. Have a shot at your own resume, post it in word format, we provide feedback. A lot gets lost in plaintext with no formatting.
  • Options
    Thanks guys for your input.

Different countries use different formats, just seeing where are you guys from? (Sorry cant see on my phone)
  • Options
    USA, here. I am sorry, but that format does not have any information that gains insight to your experience. I don't care what country you are from.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    johndoee wrote: »
    Send me $3,500 US Dollars and I will see what I can do..

X^D

good stuff!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    So write in sentences then? I want to change as I know this is messy .

Funny thing is I have used this style for a while and I've never been shy of an interview etc, I'm always having employers ring me about a job ive applied for, however, this is in Australia and Europe.
  • Options
    Yes, write in sentences (a few paragraphs).
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Interesting....here in the UK and Europe we are encourged to use bullet points because recuriters dont want to see a giant page of words.
    Interesting comment. And it made me think - I actually think it makes a lot of sense. I wonder if based on the position, one form may work better than another. For example -- for a job where hundreds of resumes may need to be reviewed, would having a bullet-ed resume be better since the reader will see and retain snippets more effectively.

@OP - since you mentioned you are in Europe - perhaps you may want to stick with the resume convention that hiring managers are more used to. I think that the key comment is that if you can highlight accomplishments vs simply a list of what you know - it may have more impact.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Definitely encouraged in the US as well. Some people just don't like them.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I use a mix. I write paragraphs for my roles and responsibilities of each position. I use bullets to highlight what I accomplished that brought some kind of value to the stakeholders. This is what most hiring managers want to see anyway, less about what your job description is and more of how you made a positive difference while there.
    Nothing will stand out if everything is just paragraphs or just bullets. Bullets are for emphasize and grabbing attention, thus if only bullets are used, it defeats the purpose.
    Every professional CV writer I have used since the 1990s have always used a mix of bullets and paragraphs, from the $99 ones up to the ones costing hundreds of dollars.
  • Options
    bowmatty wrote: »
    • The use of ITIL (incident. Problem, change and configuration management) to
    resolve end user issues via ServiceNow.
    • Assisting users with the installation, configuration and ongoing desktops,
    equipment and software.
    • Setting up new users
    • Building Engineer, Designer and CAD specified machines
    • Configure, test, and troubleshoot network connectivity and wireless access for
    local and remote computers or devices
    - VPN access
    - RDP access
    - 4G wireless devices
    • Active Directory
    - Enable/ disable user accounts
    - Creating security groups
    - Assigning security permissions
    - Distribution lists
    • Microsoft Exchange & Office365
    - User mailboxes, meeting rooms
    - User and mailbox permissions
    - Configuring SMTP/ SIP addresses
    - O365 Licensing
    • The use of PowerShell
    - Migrating users over from BTOC to O365
    - Create mailboxes
    - Assigning user permissions
    • Maintaining phone systems via the Cisco Unified Admin Portal
    - User settings
    - Voicemail setup
    - Configuring phone numbers
    • Installation and relocation of network peripherals
    - Relocation of network switches
    - Cable patching
    - WAP installations

Although I am able to see the information that gains insight to your experience, this seems excessive use of bullets just the same. And many of the items are fluff. If you put down Windows Servers as experience, to me that presumes you already know Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, GPO, RDP, and so on. Likewise if you put down network administration as experience, that presumes you know IOS, TCP/IP, ARP, ipconfig, traceroute, and so on. No need to list them separately. The only exception is, if the job you are applying for seems to emphasize any of those specifically, and you don't have access to the hiring manager, then maybe list them somewhere to get past ATS filters.
  • Options
    Edited the job descriptions, looking better, however still finding it hard to word. Your advice would be much appreciated?

Position Overview:

Working forSamsung Communications as a VoIP Engineer, configuring Samsung proprietary PBX systems in a managed services environment. Remotely and locallyassisting customers with configurations and troubleshooting.
    Responsibilities:
    o Using SimPro service management softwareto access and resolve client issues.
    o Assisting Telecommunications Technicians with theinstallation, configuration of Samsung PBX systems, VoIP technologies and IPtelephony.
    o Maintaining Samsung PBX systems
    - Call and ring plans
    - DID ringing
    - Call forwarding
    - Setting up voicemail
    - Licence upgrades
    o Providing Level 2 IT Support
    o Remotely accessing customer PBX systems via VPN, RDPprotocols.
    o Installation and relocation of network peripherals

PositionOverview:
    Employed by WorleyParsons as an ICT SupportEngineer for the mining and resource sector in Brisbane CBD, supporting IT foraround 250 employees.

Responsibilities:
    o The use of ITIL to resolve end user issues viaServiceNow.
    o Assisting users with the installation, configuration andongoing desktops, equipment and software.
    o Configure, test, and troubleshoot network connectivityand wireless access for local and remote computers or devices
    o Windows Servers
    o Microsoft Exchange & Office365
    o The use of PowerShell for migration
    o Maintaining phone systems via the Cisco Unified AdminPortal
    o Installation, relocation and consolidation of networkperipherals
    o Relocation of network switches
    o Cable patching
    o WAP installations

• Options
    Please get rid of the bullets. Why can't you just put it all in actual sentences? Do you have a hatred for sentences/paragraphs? ACK! Save the bullets for a cover(or summary letter).

Write for example: Among my responsibilities were/are...I used ITIL to resolve users issues using ServiceNow...
  • Options
    You're not supposed to use personal pronouns on a resume/CV, since the reader knows it is a document about you, personal pronouns are fluff and redundant.

Although I do not have the same distaste about bullets as scaredoftests so energetically expresses, I do feel if you use bullets on your resume, they should be get specific achievements or accomplishments to stand out, and not your roles and responsibilities. Use bullets to make the things you did that improved your work area stand out - and if at all possible in anyway, quantify your results.

Just put your roles into a paragraph, each bullet a sentence. For the PBX that has sub-bullets, I would put like this:
    "Maintaining Samsung PBX systems including call and ring plans, DID ringing, call forwarding, setting up voicemail, and license upgrades."

However, again, unless you need to get through ATS filters, when I see someone who lists PBX experience, I presume that includes the sub-tasks involved so listing out strikes me as redundant. In you case you probably can easily fit on two pages or even one page, but for my work experience, it is an effort of will to condense my CV to a single page, but removing individual protocols helps a lot.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Please get rid of the bullets. Why can't you just put it all in actual sentences? Do you have a hatred for sentences/paragraphs? ACK! Save the bullets for a cover(or summary letter).

Write for example: Among my responsibilities were/are...I used ITIL to resolve users issues using ServiceNow...

I strongly disagree with this. Definitely a place for bullets on a resume.

Personally I use a few sentences to describe the position then use bullets to highlights major accomplishments or duties I really want to stand out.

When I read a resume I'm scanning first. When I get a giant wall of paragraphs it's hard to scan the important points first and usually end up just glossing over it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    In addition: Get rid of Position Overview.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    +1 on networker’s comment.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Has anyone stepped into the future & created a video resume? Perhaps putting a link to it on your traditional resume?
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    shochan wrote: »
    Has anyone stepped into the future & created a video resume? Perhaps putting a link to it on your traditional resume?

The future is now lol. Video resumes have been around for a while, I know of some going back to the early 2000s which means it goes back even further.
    Anyway, I haven't yet. If I ever do decide to do a video resume, it will be a professional production, not me sitting in front of a cellphone (or more outdated, a webcam) talking in to it.
  • Options
    No way, yet for me having a video resume. I would probably stop mid-stream and yell at my dog or something.
  • Options
    I usually go for paragraphs in the cover letter and bullet points in my resume.

May just pay someone to do a professional job, so hard!
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No way, yet for me having a video resume. I would probably stop mid-stream and yell at my dog or something.
    I won't do this nor a video interview.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil