Options

Question about a bullet on a job req

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
I won't bore you with all the details but there was on bullet that seemed somewhat concerning and was hoping you could offer an opinion.

-Review, analyze and make suggestions to stored procedures.

Does this sound like an analyst role, testers role or something else? I mean just from this bullet.

I've seen architect level position ask for this and much lower level positions.... What's your take?

Comments

• Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That bullet could be anyone's role. It never hurts to have fresh eyes on old procedures.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With absolutely no context, which makes it impossible to actually judge, my first thought is compliance.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Stored procedures? That sounds like something for a 1950s or 60s computer science job. I remember reading several histories of computers and as a teen had a boss who worked on computers since the 1950s. Both the histories and my boss would explain to me, rather than applications, computers at that time used stored procedures.

My guess would be is they mean existing procedures.

Anyway, I agree, without the context or the entire job posting, it's hard to determine what they mean exactly, but I lean to compliance as well.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like a technical job that includes knowledge of databases. Most likely SQL Server or Oracle. It's probably hands-on if there's an expectation to be able to review stored procs. Can't really tell what level though and it could be any area from a db admin to db developer to devops to even data science.
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    Sounds like a technical job that includes knowledge of databases. Most likely SQL Server or Oracle. It's probably hands-on if there's an expectation to be able to review stored procs. Can't really tell what level though and it could be any area from a db admin to db developer to devops to even data science.

That's my thought, because using stored procedures is one way to try to defend against SQL injection.

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/SQL_Injection_Prevention_****_Sheet
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did some more research and it looks like it is a senior bi analyst position and developer.

Thanks for giving your opinion, when I first saw the req it had generic job title....