Options

real world vs degree

Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
So my friend earned a certificate at a community college in IT and is doing rather well, he learns about IT everyday with his job as i on the other hand just finished a music appreciation class and philosophy class that was beyond confusing, those 2 classes have taken most of my summer time up from studying the CCNA, i feel like a screwed myself over though getting a BS in networking cause once i graduate ill end up telling my employer during an interview that i know a little bit about ACLs for example, but not much, your gona half to teach me how to do them since i was to busy learning about music melody and calculus. The degree by far seems like the worst method on learning how to be a networker. I literally just through away my first AAB in information technology away in the garbage that cost a great deal of money cause it didnt transfer to the university, had to start over at a junior college, i feel like throwing that one away as well, i just didnt gain any real world skills from them, i learned a great deal more from military training than the lame ass education route. Any one else in the same boat.

Comments

• Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There's nothing wrong with classes such as music appreciation and especially philosophy classes in a networking degree. These non-technical classes broaden them mind and there's neurological evidence they help the brain "stay in shape" for lack of better term. Not everything has to have an immediate career return.
    You already are aware of a weak area on your part, ACLs. Then learn about them. Get Packet Tracer and play around with setting up ACLs. Write an article and put it on your LinkedIn profile. Probably no one will read it, no one reads mine, but you can be darn sure I've done my research before putting myself out there in public. But I assure you that you between the two, you will learn enough to get by at a network admin job. I played around extensively with creating networks with routers and making ACLs, and lo, ACLs were my practical simulations on my CCNA exam. I don't know if I got them right, but I had a pretty good feeling and felt confident setting up the ACLs in the manner the exam asked for. If you can set up your own lab with real equipment, even better! You don't have to go either degree or either certificates, you can do both. You can also always make a little time to practice your weak areas. The IT Supervisor who reports to me is a network genius but by his own admission is a poor system admin which is required part of his responsibilities. He takes 10 to 15 minutes a day minimum to practice on a guest Server OS on our VM server (and pesters me with questions as well lol).

Hate to bring tired clichés, but this is an example of the tortoise and the hare. Sure, your friend may be off to a fast start, but in the long run you will have the edge. Having a degree complemented by certificates will open more doors than just certificates. When browsing job websites or company job listings, I am increasingly seeing more requirements for an associates degree or even a bachelors degree along with appropriate certificates. Hang in there, you will be glad you persisted and got your degree.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Too many ppl complaining about non-IT courses they needed to take get their degree lately... Do research on what you are going into and what you are going to get out of it (especially in the long run). If you don't think the pros outweigh the cons, don't do it.

Almost everyone who has gotten a BS degree had to do this.
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Whatever degree you take or classes you complete you will enter the field as someone with no experience
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    i was to busy learning about music melody and calculus.
    I got a good chuckle out of this.
  • Options
    MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Too many ppl complaining about non-IT courses they needed to take get their degree lately... Do research on what you are going into and what you are going to get out of it (especially in the long run). If you don't think the pros outweigh the cons, don't do it.

Almost everyone who has gotten a BS degree had to do this.

I've noticed the same thing.

One day your friend might be held back because he doesn't have a bachelors and one day you might pass the HR filter just because you have a bachelors degree. You're already committed to the degree...so finish it and work on getting better in whatever I.T. field interest you.
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

• Options
    dizzy_kittydizzy_kitty Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You keep making threads about the same topic and that philosophy class you've been taking. You're going to get the same answers back.
    I suggest finishing what you started especially if you're almost done. Dedicate the few weeks in between semesters to drill down on specific topics you'd like to focus more on.
  • Options
    Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ya, ill finish the degree, probably look into a trade skill after, like plumbing or something at a junior college.