Options

MBA advice

Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
So looking for some Guidance/others experience, as i am try to get more from the community about adding an MBA to my Resume. Right now i'm purely Technical with Sec+|CASP| CISSP|CEH| and aiming for my last cert overall OSCP. pairing that technical knowledge to bring to management would be a rare combination (unless i'm wrong). the MBA programs i was pointed to would be UVA cohort program and NYU (haven't checked the exact program yet), and GWU.

With all that said I have some experience leading a project and going through with our Project management office on getting the details of rollout, requirements, performance readiness, etc. the UVA program would be 50k total and the GWU one would be around 60k. I have the money to afford both and would do this part time

my motivation for getting an MBA: its New Mountain to climb, higher potential salary ceiling, right now for my career path i'll be capped out around 150k. I am also kinda tired of being the frontline "grunt" and prefer to do the ordering

Goal for MBA: use it to become CISO

why i'm asking for advice: I'm 31 years old and i'm somewhat "stuck" what i want to do with myself career wise and now is a good time to start pivoting and laying a path to something grander. I guess whats holding me back is is it the right time to start? I've only managed a team of 2 people so i don't think that really counts, and have 0 experience managing a whole project at a macro level, mostly just the micro for me. Or are there other things i could be doing prior to going for MBA.

i hope what i wrote was clear and somewhat concise

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Now is a good time, you have some work experience but not so much that the MBA becomes a "check-the-box" degree. With your mention of UVA and GWU, I assume you're in NOVA or that area, you might also take a look at GMU and Georgetown. I think you're at the right age to gain a lot from the in-person part of an MBA. A good part of the degree can be the contacts you make through the program.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    My situation and experience & reasoning are extremely similar to yours, except that I'm not in the US. I started my MBA last month - best decision I ever made.

Apply to the best programs available to you (on campus), and go with the highest ranked program you can get into.

Good luck in becoming a CISO icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    EANx wrote: »
    Now is a good time, you have some work experience but not so much that the MBA becomes a "check-the-box" degree. With your mention of UVA and GWU, I assume you're in NOVA or that area, you might also take a look at GMU and Georgetown. I think you're at the right age to gain a lot from the in-person part of an MBA. A good part of the degree can be the contacts you make through the program.

heard not to waste my time with GMU, not that it isn't good program it just doesn't have the recognition and better off doing it from Top 25 MBA program.

i guess the other part is MBA programs seems to be symbiotic relationship, i.e this is what this program will do for you/the people you can network, so what can you do for us? or am I reading into that to much is a "requirement"

I guess the other part that had me holding back is if i'm spending 60-70k damn that better pay off
  • Options
    shreenagshreenag Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi...I am planning to take the part-time MBA route as well in a top 30 B school in my country.But I am not sure about networking opportunities.Reason being I am from IT Assurance/Cyber security background. Not sure how many participants will have same background as mine.I can understand that the amount of knowledge will be good future positions like CISO, IT security director.

But How will a class having a diverse profile as in Sales & Marketing folks, Lawers, Doctors and armed forces personnel contribute to my career advancement in cyber security? Will I be better of doing some Cyber security related part-time masters as I can find people with similar background like mine in the class contributing to more networking opportunities.

Sound like a stupid question. But any thoughts are welcome.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    shreenag wrote: »
    Hi...I am planning to take the part-time MBA route as well in a top 30 B school in my country.But I am not sure about networking opportunities.Reason being I am from IT Assurance/Cyber security background. Not sure how many participants will have same background as mine.I can understand that the amount of knowledge will be good future positions like CISO, IT security director.

But How will a class having a diverse profile as in Sales & Marketing folks, Lawers, Doctors and armed forces personnel contribute to my career advancement in cyber security? Will I be better of doing some Cyber security related part-time masters as I can find people with similar background like mine in the class contributing to more networking opportunities.

Sound like a stupid question. But any thoughts are welcome.

@Shreenag: Part-time security masters you will mostly meet other IT folks, doing technical work or IT peeps trying to break into cyber security. With MBA, meeting all the "ales & Marketing folks, Lawers, Doctors and armed forces" will give you a different perspective on things, and you will learn about different kinds of organisations and situation. MBA is not an apprenticeship in IT management, it should give you broader business skills in strategy, finance, account, organisational behaviour, HR, marketing.

if you strictly want IT management then a degree in IT projects management or a degree in IT management or certifications like PMP, CISA, CISM, CISSP, might be more suitable for your purposes.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com